Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Saturday, October 18, 2008

In the mood for crafts & swaps with template and challenge for you!

Hello my dear readers,

today I have to admit that I already got into the mood for Christmas swaps and crafts. How about you? Do you think that I start to early? Well seeing that we skip Halloween and Thanksgiving here in Germany Christmas is the next upcoming holiday here an it's only 9 weeks away, which is not far when you like to craft a lot for it.
I made these skates in January 2006 and also posted them here on my blog at the time:






Now on Thursday I bought a German Magazine called Living & More and found almost the same paper skates in it, see my following scan (should enlarge when you click on it):



Well I think it's kind of spooky how much they resemble the skates I made 2 years ago, even in the color/pattern mix. Can it be that they saw my skates and got inspired? Anyway I felt challenged to create a new pair using the template they provided:






But this time I used totally different materials like Vintage sheet music, a silhouette picture from my daughter when she was still 3 years old, pompom fringes, German Dresden foil borders, velvet flowers from Cerri, rhinestone jewelry from the flea market, bonjour satin boarder from Andrea, a fabric yoyo from Anita, a pink metall bell, ricrac boarder and so on.



I like better that I made them two sided this time so that they can hang from a branch or a bird cage in my case and look good from both sides:


They came out totally different I think but pretty nonetheless, or what do you think?


I had so much fun embellishing them:


Now I'd like to challenge you to make your own pair of skates too! If you'd like to play along, here is the template from the magazine. Please show them on your blog with a link to this post and let me know under this post when you have finished a pair, can't wait to see your ideas!
I also did a well kind of Christmas swap already with my flickr friend Sylvie from Babaprincesse and she spoiled me with 3 fabulous fabric Christmas stockings from her own design which I love (cklick on the photos to enlarge them and see more details):



She also made me a mini fabric bunting garland, so sweet:



Thank you dear Sylvie it was a pleasure to swap with you again!
What else did I craft in the last two weeks? Well my daughter once bought a box of simple cardboard drawers from IKEA for 3 Euros, they were blue, so I painted them white inside and out before altering them with wallpapers and tea stained "Toile de Jouy" papers that I got send in our last swap from my sweet friend Madai over at Wren Cottage. I also used some silver German Dresden foil boarders:


Of course I'll use them for storage in my studio.



Further I finished some soldered jewelry pendants. For the next one I had to use the scan of my daughters silhouette again, inspired by Andreas new Logo of Onehundred wishes. A silhouette artist from our Medieval Christmas market in Bremen created this silhouette from Roxanne when she was almost 4 years old:



The next two sided belveded glass pendant has a Dresden silver foil bird on one side:



and the Eiffel tower on the other side (Eiffel tower sticker is from a swap with my dutch friend LiLi M) I just doodled a bit around the sticker:



This one is for the swap with Sylvie, the little girl is a scan from a vintage photo card I bought from our Bremen flea market last year:


And I also finished off some pendants from a collage I created some weeks ago:





"Good things happen when you go for it" is a saying I used in one of the pendants and I'll try to make this my new motto!



I guess that's all for now, or no wait, there is one more thing! If there is anyone out there in the US/Canadian blogland who'd be interested in a special private swap with me, that would be fab! I have to give the latest issue of a German Crafts and Living magazine, as well as a German Country Living magazine and one of my soldered pendants of your choice and would wish so much for the new Somerset publication of "Where women create" which I read, should be on your newsstands on November 1st. If you are interested please let me know here or email me.
Have a great Sunday and new week evereyone!
Hugs xox Carola

19 comments:

babaprincesse said...

liebe carola,
was für eintoller post!
ich würde dich gerne verlinken,
was meinst du?
ganz liebe grüße
sylvie

Lola Enchanted said...

sounds like fun!

mendytexas said...

LOVE your paper skates!! I would love to try them! How fun!! :)Mendy

Liliana said...

What a lot of beautiful things are you doing with these paper skates!I like all of them.
Kisses
Liliana from Málaga, Spain.

Daniela said...

Hallo Carola!
Das ist ja ein Ding, das in der Zeitschrift fast genau dieselben Skates, wie deine abgebildet sind. Aber eigentlich doch auch ein Kompliment für dich! Deine neuesten Werke sind alle super schön geworden! Ganz besonders gefällt mir die Silhouette mit deiner Tochter, die ist süss!

Liebe Grüße und einen schönen Wochenbeginn wünscht dir Daniela!

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

Your paper skates are just BEAUTIFUL, Carola! I can only imagine how lovely your home will be for the Christmas holidays! Your swap sounds very very tempting, but I'm afraid I can never get my hands on those Somerset magazines either! =O

LiLi M. said...

Hi Carola!
About the magazine; imitation is the utmost form of flattering! You were the first and you are the best! Of course I'm going to make these skates as well. I'll do it somewhere November, but I'll let you know according to the 'rules'. Great you have used something from the swap! I am still 'sitting' on that beautiful stuff, silly I know, I am going to change myself, you'll wait and see! Your pendants are gorgeous as ever!

My Shabby Roses said...

Everything you've made looks so nice. You did a wonderful job on the skates too. You have been so busy! Thanks for sharing all your lovely things with us.

cinnamon cottage said...

good morning, hope you dont mind I have tagged you, you can find the rules on my blog, blessings Jan x

MMN said...

Hi Carola,
I just find your blog this mornin, i write you from Spain and if you like I'm interested to do a private swap with you i have a heart that will be lovely at your home in Christmas and some boots with perfume for your closet ???. I have a part of my family also in Germany but I dont speak German and as you can see not so good English.
If you are interested leave me a coment to my e-mail:
nuri128@hotmail.com
Regards
Núria

Nostalgia at the Stone House said...

Hi Carol,
Too spooky - they definitely copied your lovely skates! And yours are so much nicer too!

Sorry not to have visted for a while - things have been soooo hectic here....I even deleted my Flickr because I couldn't keep up....
Have fun with the run up to Christmas,
Niki x

Les Cotrions said...

Hello Carola! What a pleasure to hear from you! In Italy is still warm and sunny...but today it's a little bit worse...surely autumn will come early! I see you created a lot in the last period! Lucky you! I've so many things to do because of my moving that I've neglected anything else! I can't wait for new creations again!
Happy week end and take care!
Hugs, Vale

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

I just found your blog today, what a wonderful site!! and you are so creative, I cant wait to make those skates, thanks so much for sharing that pattern too! Stop by and visit when you get a chance~ Im taking a few minutes with some tea and plan on going through your archives, what beautiful pictures and ideas you have Carol!! Thanks so much for sharing it all!

~ Cynthia ~

Naturegirl said...

Carola: Your creativity is running wild! Wonderful pieces that you've created! Love the way you embellished the IKEA storage box with your signature taste!
Danke for the birthday greeting xoxo

EVA AGNES said...

Hi Carol, I must say you make such fantastic things. I love them.
Also funny that you have been to Venice recently. It i a fairy tale city.
Would like to go there again.
Hugs Eva Agnes

KatCollects said...

Your blog is beautiful!!! Did you find someone to send you "Where women create"? If not I am in the US and would be happy to a swap with you! Let me know. My email is RKMSFamily@aol.com.
Kathy

Belle Brocante said...

Dear Carola,
I made your skates! Thanks for the template. I know it's a year later but in 2008 I wasn't in to this and had no idea of blogging!

Love from Holland,
Annemiek
ps your a fantastic artist I admire you

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

shared this on my blog post day. Great ideas - thanks!

Jenn Erickson said...

That's pretty wild that your project may have inspired the skates in that German magazine! It's incredible how blogging takes our ideas all over the world. I saw your post featured over at The Quilted Nest along with mine and several others that use vintage sheet music. I'm so impressed by the style, creativity, and execution of your skate project. They're right up my alley, and I look forward to making some! Warmest wishes, Jenn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails