Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Special moments and beautiful garden days


This post is about special moments. One very special moment for me is to see the first rose of the season finally opening it's buds. This year my historic rose "Rosa Mundi" which you see in the first photo won the race between my roses. Hm you should smell her, she has a divine scent!
Well come on let's do a lil stroll through my May garden before the month is over and I'll share some more special moments with you, not only in the garden. This post has over 30 pictures I gues which took during the last week so maybe you better make yourself comfortable with a cup of tea or coffe so that you'll hopefully stay with me until the end of this long blog post?



Another special moment for me is to go out in my garden in the morning because the light is always so beautiful then. The picture above is from my potting bench and below you see part of my deck. The photo below is from this morning, we had such wonderful weather today, well actually the weather was quite beautiful during the whole month of may with just one rainy day that I can remember.


As always you can click on the pictures to enlarge them and see more details. Below is another picture from my potting corner


On my patio it's blooming beautifully at the moment, the rose Wenlock has opened it first two buds today and foxgloves, lupine and delphiniums are in full bloom among many other summer flowers



My cat Sammy is always enjoying these special times and moments in the garden with me.
Here is another summery photo from today


And here another photo of Rosa Mundi which meanwhile is in full bloom



The rose in the next photo is my darling Eden 85/Pierre de Ronsard which has opened the first few buds this week


And this is my dear Constance Spry, an English David Austin rose which has just started to bloom at my old rose arc


This is the rose arc glowing in the sun, I took this photo at 11.00 this morning and until dawn Constance Spry had opened several more buds, she has practically exploded in todays heat



This is a picture of my foxgloves which have self seeded in the spares between the stones of my deck and I love them there




I took these next pictures one morning last week, when my pansies still looked beautifully, they have suffered a bit from the heat we had the last days with temps around 30 deegrees celsius, but I just had to show you these last photos I took of them before they are over and I can use the pots for summer flowers which are already waiting impatiently to get planted



I so love the radiant colors which came from the gorgeous morning light that day, a very special moment for me again




In the next photo you see some of my Alliums which are now in full bloom. Planting Alliums since 2004 it's the first time this year that I have a white variation which is called Mount Everest:



The Alliums Purple Sensation in the back of the next picture are almost finished now but the Globemasters are still growing



More white and purple Alliums in bloom and in the background is my Peony which has got 5 huge buds this year, yeah!



I took this picture from the very back of my backyard. Looking in the garden from there always gives me this "Secret Garden" feeling which I love! This year I hung another iron chandelier in my tree than last year, this one is shabby white and has some gorgeous curls hich you'll see better when you enlarge the photo:



The glorious Clematis in the next picture is a newbie to my garden of which I first heard from my friend TWT in Canada, so when I found her last fall I just had to buy and plant her and I have not regretted it, she is such a pink filled beauty when in bloom like right now:



And I just have to show you another photo of my ruffeld Rococo pansies, which are very special to me



Since this week my purple bellflower/Campanula Punctata Sarastro is blooming. See their big and gorgeous purple bells in the foreground of this photo? Their color fits so well with my Lavender and Pansy colors on the deck



Btw you may have spotted this gorgeous fabric bunting in some of my photos posted above. I hung it out on my white parasol today, these buntings give me that special feeling of summer and are made for me by my creative garden and blogging friend Anita from http://ein-stueck-garten.blogspot.com/



We recently finished another private swap which indeed was a very special moment for me to get and open it as well as to create, wrap and send my part to her. The next picture is a close up of Anitas wrapping. After our last swap she felt a bit ashamed because she didn't thought about pretty wrapping so this time she took a great afford to it and it really shows, don't you think? She also added some of the gorgeous rose papers she wrapped her parcels with to my swap and wrapped it around cardboard rolls (from kitchen paper towels) and then closed it with gorgeous lace and satin borders. They looks so pretty now here in my studio that I don't think that I will ever be able to open one of these gorgeous rose paper rolls


Make sure to click the following pictures to enlarge so you can see all the wonderful details, everything was so beautifully wrapped, the big white envelope where the fabric bunting garland came out was adorned with two of her enchanting yoyo's which I love to use in my creations and a lovely border which says Vergiß mein nicht which means Forget me not in English



When I had unwrapped all the pretty parcels above this is what I found. See the delicate wire basket? I so love it!



Anita not only sent me the delightful fabric bunting garland no she also sent 2 of her fabulous Lavender filled hearts from her latest Welcome Spring collection and one white quilted and red stitched heart. These are all so precious to me, as well sweet birdies that are hanging from a chandelier in my living room. Thanky you so much dear Anita!



When I took these photos the fabric bunting was still hanging in my living room window and I really like it there too:



Now you may probably like to see what Anita got from me for of all these hand sewn treasures? Well handmade items all the same, here is the whole bunch packed up prettily and ready to go. Anita became a huge pink lover during the last month (cause when I first met her she wasn't that keen on pink lol) so I mainly made her pink things and packed it all in a pink rose tin box:



She wished for one of my paper cones and for a change I chose one which is not pink lol



Then she asked for this pendant from my last bunch of finished soldered pendants:



and she also wanted one of my soldered paper weights which I costum made for her with her initial and of course PINK



I also put some pieces of my satin borders with lovely french words from Andreas 100 wishes shop in her parcel




And lastly I made her a garland too, but a paper garland and of course all in PINK. This is the way I packed it:



It's not easy to get all 7 dresses in one photo lol



Okay here is nother try ;-)) click to enlarge:


The garland is two sided so at the end I embellished 14 dresses, all different but all in soft shades of pink. I've posted some more pictures of the 7 Victorian paper dresses garland here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boxwoodcottage/
Wouldn't you agree with me that this was one special swap, always to be remembered? I'll sure do!
Lastly I like to thank everyone who commented on my last post because I so need your feedback here and reading your comments is another special moment for me every time again.
I'm currently thinking about another blog give away because I haven't had one for quite some time, so stay tuned!
Tomorrow I'm off to a fabulous garden party at my middle sis Cordulas country home and I'm really looking forward to it. Happy Birthday to you dear sister!!!!
Now I'm wishing happy and sunny days to all of you my dear readers and blogging friends and a fab start into the month of June!
Carol(a) xox

33 comments:

Anita said...

Yes, Carol! It definitively was a great swap and I so much enjoyed sewing all those little treasures for you! And of course - as you know - I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the things I found in your gorgeous parcel!!! Thank you so much, my dear!

I always adore new photos of your little garden but those ones at the very top of your post show very special moments, indeed! Thanks a lot for sharing! By the way, your new purple bellflower / Campanula Punctata is so pretty! Mine is dark red but not yet in bloom.

Have a great b-day party at your sister's cottage!

XoX, Anita

barbaras countryhome said...

Hallo Carola,
das sind ja wieder super Fotos. Wenn ich mir das so überlege, muß ich glaube nach unserem Urlaub im Juli noch einmal bei Dir bestellen. So ein Tütchen und Kleidchen. Würdest Du das für mich machen? Deine Sachen sind einfach klasse.
Liebe Grüße Barbara

Scrappy Jessi said...

holy gaucomole!!
i need to go back and take it all in again!!
first i need to pick my jaw up off the floor. wow!!
every picture is gorgeous!!
fabul;ous post miss carola!!!

oxoxoxo,
jessi

LiLi M. said...

Hi!! Your garden pictures are stunning! I love the roses of course, but for next year I'm going to look for these rococo pansies, they are gorgeous. And I have never seen white allium before. Don't forget to take pictures of your peony! It's one of my favorites, though it always rains very hard(like at this very moment) when they are blooming, that's why I don't have them in my garden anymore, but I have 3 vases filled with the double very light pink variety.
And your swappictures almost make me jealous! You have done so well again and received well too! I'm off to your flickr album to see even more of the dresses btw I have posted some garden pictures too...but I'm only a beginner! Have a nice week, enjoy your garden! Hope you will be back here soon with even more pictures...I don't think it's too much easily!

Les Cotrions said...

Hi Carola! Your blog is very nice!
And your garden is fantastic! I live in Tuscany and I've a balcony which I really love! I share my creative hobby with a friend and we have a little shop on-line (lescotrions.it) where we sell what we love to have in our homes!
Many compliments again!
Ciao
Vale

Daniela said...

Hallo Carola!
Was für wunderschöne Impressionen aus deinem Garten! Deine Rosen sind einfach toll. Bei mir dauert es leider noch ein wenig bis zur Rosenblüte und meine rosa Pfingstrose hat auch noch dicke Knospen. Die Campanula punctata sieht ja super aus. Ich habe gar nicht gewußt, dass das so schöne große Stöcke werden.
Ist deine Clematis eine Josephine? Ich glaube, die muß ich auch haben ;-)
Ich wünsche dir noch eine schöne Woche!
LG, Daniela

Donna O. said...

I just bought a one-way ticket!! Carol, what can anyone say?? Each photo, each flower is breathtaking. It's obvious you have such a joy in your gardening and artwork, too. Such creativity-I think your spirit just jumps off the screen- loved it all!
D.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carola, I'm so happy that you love Josephine (clematis). I think she is absolutely stunning (and her blooms last quite awhile). As usual, I have thoroughly enjoyed my "walk" through your garden. Your roses, your roses, how I love them. I can't wait to see more pictures of them as the summer progresses. I didn't have much luck with Eden. It took the whole summer for her to produce just one bud and then the frost would kill it. I've replaced her with Fair Bianca (David Austin series), let's hope I'll have more luck with that one. Hope you are keeping well. Hugs, TWT

Sugar Bear said...

I just planted my first roses this year - if they resemble anything like the beauty that comes from your garden I will be thrilled!
Karla

Les Cotrions said...

Hi again Carola!I'm happy you love Italy! If you pass by Lucca on September, contact me! May be we could have a coffee! Can we link each other??? I'd like to have you in my favourite blogs!
Ciao

Vale

Sandra Evertson said...

Oh, that garden of your is so Beautiful and the giant roses hardly look real!
Sandra Evertson

Les Cotrions said...

Good morning Carola! I've just linked you and I'm very happy to have you in my friends' blog!
Have a nice day!
Ciao
Vale

Donna said...

Hi Carol,
I was visiting blogs tonight and found yours. You have the most beautiful garden, I just love it!
I also love the paper weight!
I'd like to add you to my favorite blogs ~ I know I will visit often.
Hugs,
Donna

IcePuppet said...

Hi Carol, your Rosa Mundi looks fantastic. We just bought a rose that looks similar. Ours is an English rose called Louise Odier and apparently it is suppose to be very scented. I can hardly wait to see it bloom :-) Your whole patio and garden is so luscious :-)

Have a lovely weekend, Katja

Vickie said...

I love your roses! They are so beautiful. Your garden looks like heaven.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Love your garden pictures. You have so many things (besides the beautiful flowers) to look at. I need to follow your example and add some 'stuff' to my garden. Odds and ends that interest me. I think that would give balance and certainly a personal touch. Thanks for the tips and thanks for letting me visit your garden.

Pearl said...

Carol ~

I just love your garden & how you've pulled it all together! I wish I could come over for tea ;)
You must have a wonderful time - not only strolling through the garden, but also peaking from your window while you're inside.

Have a wonderful day!
Pearl

heidi said...

hi carol ~ what a gorgeous cottage garden you have, a lovely spot to inspire! thanks for sharing your secret garden spot. xo heidi

Rita said...

Liebe Carola,
ich weiß nicht, welches deiner Bilder das Schönste ist...denn alle sind schön. Dein Garten sowieso und er sieht wirklich wie ein Secret Garden aus...Deine Papierkleidchen sind wunderschön...einfach alles...traumhaft romantisch. Bei mir blühen jetzt auch alle Rosen und der Duft ist unbeschreiblich. Man möchte das alles über die Bilder rüberbringen, aber es ist nicht annähernd so, wie in Natur. So wie du den Morgen in deinem Garten beschreibst...kann man es sich sicher vorstellen, aber es ist sicher viel viel schöner.
Ich wünsche dir ein wunderschönes rosiges Wochenende.
LG
Rita

Anja said...

Such beautiful photo's! Would love to visit your blog - and garden :) - again. Wish my plot of land looked so spectacular :)

Greetings from Holland!
Anja

Karolina said...

Was für wunderschöne Einsichten in deinen Garten! So viel weiß, rosa und blau, genau wie in meinem Garten, ich liebe es. Ich werde glaub bald wieder mal bei dir vorbeischauen.
LG Karolina

Americana Market said...

The flowers, the beauty... it's a secret garden. Beautiful photos and blog.
~Monica

Mia said...

Oh Carol! I am just speechless by the beauty of your garden. It must be the prettiest I have seen. Everything is so lush and green, not to mention all the lovely flowers in just the colours I adore. Your roses are a dream. I too have Rosa Mundi but it is nowhere near ready to bloom. This spring I have also planted two Constance Spry and two Chianti (another Davis Austen rose) in the flowerbeds leading into my kitchen garden. I do so hope they can cope with the climate here. You got some lovely goodies in your swap with Anita too. And so prettily wrapped, all of them.

Trish said...

I love your paperweight carol, its gorgeous and very personnal :) your garden looks more beautiful all the time xxx

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Dear Carol.....

What a treat your post has been, reading your news and lingering over your gorgeous pictures. As usual, your garden is a delight Carol. so many colourful flowers, particularly the roses and your interesting artefacts too. I love them!

Isn’t this the most fabulous time in the garden! and like you, we’ve been blessed with wonderful weather. Foxgloves have been popping up everywhere, and with an apology in my heart, I’ve had to remove some of them... when they have bustled in on other plants and overshadowed them. I’ve been a long admirer of your alliums, but unfortunately my attempts to grow them fail. I planted more again this year and for some reason, they simply disappear!

Loved looking at your swap with Anita. Like you, she is very skilled and artistic. Such pretty things you have both created. Thank you, I’ve so much enjoy my visit to Boxwood Cottage. Marion

Mariella said...

Dear Carol, I have no words to say that your garden is a paradise. It is a place that has corners, precise locations to admire for hours, hours I would be there, it is simply charming.

a home far away said...

Your garden is truly a wonderful place, and it´s clear that it means a lot to you!

Have a great day

Hugs Gunilla

Britt-Arnhild said...

It is such a long time since I've been here. Your garden is beautiful and filled with charm as always.

Jen said...

That garland is so adorable! What a talent you are!

Diane said...

Carol thanks for sharing all the wonderful garden treasures it sure got me inspired, everything looks so inviting.
Have a Wonderful Week
Hugs, Diane

Barbara Jean said...

Carola,
I have been looking and looking through your old posts, trying to find something that was on here a long time ago. (I made note that it was on your blog)

They are little flat paper bags with lavender in them and they were on some kind of background, music paper i think. There was a button on ribbon, I think, across the top.

I would love to make some for my little brick and mortar store here, if you did not mind.

If you know where the pic is, and do not mind sharing, I would love to see them again.

Thanks for your considering this.

blessings
barbara jean

Donna G said...

I like the seclusion of some of the seating areas. Beautiful.

Rebeccas DIY said...

What a beautiful garden. I love everything about it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails