Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

~ The lushest July Mid-Summer garden I ever had ~

Seeing that I have not done a garden post since May I think it's high time to share with you my dear blogging friends and readers my "mid summer garden". 
All the pictures in this post are done during this month ~ July from the 6th until today. 
I left out June because I showed you my June flowers ever so often over the last 6 years and don't wanna bore you. June is always pretty in the garden with lot's of roses, foxgloves, bellflowers, alliums etc., but I was forever a bit sad once June was over, for in July I found my garden well let's say a bit less flowery and I worked on changing this ever since I bought the cottage in 2004 and moved in here in 2005. Back then the garden was a - by the past owners - so called "evergreen garden" with almost no flowers but, at least in my opinion, too much hedges, bushes and trees for such a small row cottage garden. You must know that my whole lot is only 120 sqm and that with the house (don't ask me what this is in square feet because I don't now, but believe me it is very small.) Well now after 7 years and lot's of changes and removing of some not flowering bushes and trees the garden is finally blooming through from early Spring until late Fall and I'm really enjoying it!

The hydrangeas like my sweet white Annabelle above and the pretty blueish one below are blooming so prettily right now!

And the phloxes are wonderful this year too. I think the garden likes our weather this summer, it's not hot ( we only had 2 or 3 hot summer days so far) and it is also not raining too much either.

Above the purple phlox in the new border, which I started last year after removing two large bushes, is blooming together with high purple Verbena bonariensis,  Lavatera olbia and white Echinacea and below the deep purples phlox is also blooming in this border but between the high Leonardo da Vinci rose and the also high butterfly plant.


Below you see another pretty hydrangea which is blooming  in my front garden:


You may easily recognise my love for purple and blueish flowers as you also see in the Thalictrum blooming behind the pretty apricot colored Rokkoko rose in the picture below:


The Lavatera olbia Barnsley a mallow plant which I planted last fall and it growed into a bigh flowering bush already:


My pink Echinacea also is a dream this year and the bees are loving it as much as I do:


Blueish Clematis are also still blooming, like Prince Charles on my rusty rose arc:


Another lovely true blue flower is my gorgoeus Agapanthus (African Lily), growing in a large pot on my deck right now:
 

Oh and the hollyhocks are blooming beautifully too on my deck:


I love the pink filled one above but also the not filled soft cream yellow one which is blooming under my living room window every year:


The bumblebee below is enyoing herself imensely in my Verbena bonariensis:


My old border on the right side of my little garden is still blooming with pretty campanula varieties:


and Alchemilla and Achillea


A close up of the gorgeous Prince Charles clematis below blooming together with the blue Buddleja (Butterfly plant):


Another sweet Clematis is Piilu blooming in my little crap apple treeL

  

One of the rare warm and sunny Sunday mornings on my deck with Cleome spinosa blooming in the mosaic pot on the small blue mosaic table in front:


My wonderful Eden rose started blooming quite late this season. Here I cut some flowers for a petit blue enamel jug on my deck:


More "Eden85" rose blossoms:


A view from my deckchair:


It feels a bit as if I would live in a flower nursery sometimes lol


but i so love it and apparently our black neighborhood cat Tommy is enjoying it too:


While our own Boxwood tomcat Riley usually prefers the front garden. 
Below is another close up of a pink Echinacea and the white Echincea just starting to flower in the background:

 
Comes sunset the ecofriendly solar lampion lanterns are starting to glow: 


which has something quite magically for me


Above is my favorite summer evening picture so far!
Below are the smaller solar lampions glowing in the grape vine which grows over my living room window:


Another view from the deck down in the new flower bed:


The shady seating area under the maple tree in my back garden I did not need so far this Summer, because it just wasn't hot enough. See how the wind blows in the table cloth? We had quite a lot of overcast and windy days and really hope for more warmer Summer days ahead!


This is the view from sitting on the blue backyard iron chair looking back to the cottage:


The garden is so lush and green and flowering abundantly if you look close enough like we did today


I better stop here and hope if you are still with me, that I did not bore you too much with all these garden and flower pictures and that hopefully you did enjoy it a bit with me? I'll promise to get back on crafting and decorating in my next post. Today is a beautiful sunny day and I'm looking forward to some deckchair summer reading in the late afternoon.

Sending very happy Summer wishes to all of you!

xoxo~ Carola

34 comments:

The Rustic Victorian said...

Oh Carola,
Every inch is magical in your garden. So colorfull and calming....especially with a cat lounging,,,,(I have a black one too) I spend more time on flickr, but your blog is beautiful.
May God bless your day!
Marcie

Marcia said...

I really enjoyed touring your garden. How lovely you have made it. I'll send you some of our heat here if you send some cool weather our way. Caught up with you by way of Cottage Flora Thursday. Glad to make the visit.

Naturegirl said...

Carola! A true joy to view your garden sanctuary from this end! Gorgeous as always and I must sya LOVE the image with Tommy cat! He fits perfectly on that table!
I adore your pink Hollyhock! Resembles a rose! Sad to say that rose do NOT grow in my woodland garden..too shady!
I am observing tjhis year Caroloa..looking around and studing what grows in my woodlands.
I am using shades that I never ever liked ever! Oraange and red seems to give the lush green of my woodland garden a necessary POP of color! I will post a tour soon.
I have NOT been blogging for some time as I have been busy with my New jewellery business. Having said that there is nothing better than getting down in the dirt with Mother earth!
Enjoy your time in your gorgeous oasis..I loved my visit today!
Thank you for keeping in touch!
hugs Anna xo

Darla said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!!

Raspberry Hill Crafts said...

Wow such a beautiful garden...it has a lovely cottage look. Must say all your flowers are looking so Nice.
Yes I'm jealous. :-}

Angela said...

Oh my, it is so beautiful! I would gladly send you a little bit of our warm weather...it was 108 degrees yesterday...it has been that high several times this month and last.

BECKY said...

Oh Carola! Your garden is incredible! What a thrill it must give you to sit outside and enjoy all of the lovely blooms and wonderful scents! I am "green" with garden envy!!

And your photos are fabulous! That one with the bee enjoying himself is amazing!

You lanterns are so pretty, too.

Thank you so much for showing us around. What a joy!!

Have a delightful day,
Becky

Dorothy said...

WOW!!!! Soooo gorgeous and I just love all the color!!!!!

Cindy said...

What a beautiful garden you have! I could look at these pictures forever. Can I come for a visit? LOL! Your hollyhocks are so pretty. I have quite a few buggy leaves, so I am always trimming them.
I am also finally getting my garden to look good in late summer. June is my favorite month, but with all the flowers blooming right now, I'm pretty happy with it. It is an ongoing process, isn't it?

Lis said...

Ach wie schön wieder mal einen Bummel durch deinen wunderschönen Garten machen zu können. Es blüht wirklich alles sehr üppig und sieht auch sehr einladens aus. Leider sind die Abende auch hier viel zu kühl zum raussitzen und auch tagsüber sind mehr Wolken am Himmel als üblicherweise sonst im Juli . Dafür ächzt der Garten nicht unter der Hitze, so hat alles seine Vor- und Nachteile :-)

LG Lis

Paula said...

Sweet Carola, You could NEVER bore us with your gorgeous garden photos!!! Every capture is stunningly beautiful! Your garden is gorgeous and one of the prettiest I have ever seen! I can see all the love and work you have put into it! I enjoyed reading about your cottage garden and the changes you have made. How incredible to have your garden in bloom from spring to fall! I love the vibrant blues and purples, and the pinks too! Oh, the creams are equally lovely. I love it all and wish my garden looked like yours!!! It is wonderful to see the bees enjoying your pretty flowers as much as you do. The pink hollyhocks are beautiful! I always plant hollyhock seeds, but they never do well here, maybe it is the extreme heat and humidity, or it is just me! :D Your Eden roses are gorgeous and I love all of your sitting areas so that you can enjoy your garden from any spot! I am glad you have these places to sit and read and enjoy all your pretty flowers! I love every single beautiful photo! Your garden is just as magical at evening time as it is during the day. I love your solar lanterns! I enjoyed the tour of your amazing garden so much! It was the perfect start to my day and has inspired me very much, as you always do dear friend!

Thank you for sharing! Much love, Paula

Sylvie said...

liebe carola, das ist ein garten - wahnsinn,wunderwunderschön!!!! ich weiß gar nicht, wo ich als erstes hinsehen soll, am liebsten würde ich jetzt schnuppern können ;) eine schöne sommerzeit dir und liebe grüße, sylvie

peggy gatto said...

I enjoyed my morning stroll in your garden this morning! you have all my favorite flowers and love the garden accessories all around. A very special place.
Thank you so much!!!

Lorrie said...

What a beautiful garden you have. That agapanthus is stunning! Blue and purple flowers are my favorites too. You've done a great job of getting more July blooms into your garden.

Gail said...

Carola,
I'm stunned at the beauty of your garden! You've done a wonderful job with it and now you get to enjoy...!
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hanni said...

Very lush and lovely1 I just posted about needing more color in my midsummer garden...nice to see the fruits of someone who has worked to get that, with a beautiful end result! :)

Carole said...

All I can say is WOW!!!! Ok I say more and will. haha For being there a relatively short time it look like it been there for decades. It has a real cottage garden feel with the tall majestic plants. Love thalictrum too and wish ppl planted it more. I can see why Tommy kitty loves to come for a visit.
i wish i was Tommy kitty!

hugs,
Carole

Jenniffer said...

I am in awe. This is heartbreakingly beautiful. Thank you for such a tour. You are a gardener after my own heart! :)

NanaDiana said...

I am so jealous! Your gardens are just gorgeous- BEAUTIFUL beyond words...and God has blessed you with a green thumb to make it all happen- xo Diana

oldgreymare said...

Carola, I am speechless and you know that rarely happens.
Your garden is beautiful, what an artist you are outdoors as well. :D
xxx
z

Betsy said...

Beautiful and dreamy. The neighborhood cat has an eye for beauty.
Betsy

Mary - Vintage Cottage said...

Thank you for the wonderful tour around your garden, it is quite sensational! No rust on your hollyhocks either! Your choice of plants is exquisite and they are all so healthy. Hoping you get plenty of warm, sunny days to enjoy it! Love, Mary XXX

skabiose said...

Hallo Carola,

hach, wie könntest Du einen je langweilen mit sooo schönen Bildern aus Deinem Juli-Garten! So üppig blüht alles bei Dir und genau in den Farben, die ich auch so sehr liebe. Dein Garten ist vielleicht nicht riesig, aber zauberhaft schön. Nächste Woche soll ja der Sommer kommen - ich wünsche Dir eine schöne Zeit in Deinem Paradies!

Viele Grüße, skabiose

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Hi dear Carole, I wish Bremen would be nearer, so that I could enjoy your beautiful garden from time to time :-). I love your flower and color choices and the sweet bumble bees and Tommy obviously do that too. Hopefully the weather gets a bit nicer so that you can enjoy your garden again soon.
Have a wonderful Sunday :-)!
xoxo,
Julia

Bumbleberry Stitches said...

You have a beautiful garden. Every photo is just lovely.

Fishtail Cottage said...

Oh my! that pink hollyhock is amazing! Thanks so much for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's last week! Would love to have the opportunity to walk through your garden! Hope to see you again this upcoming week! xoxo, tracie

maría cecilia said...

Hola, your garden looks soooo beautiful these days!! Love the pale blue color of your garden furniture.
hugs

Linda said...

Hi Carola~ I've just discovered your most wonderful blog and am looking forward to reading more...I am a new follower!

rvelazquez said...

Your garden is exquisite! I love your Eden roses....they are my favorite. Do you do anything special to get them to bloom? I lived in Germany for a couple years and miss the weather there...I have never been able to grow flowers so well as I did when I lived there. Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures :)

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Carola, your garden is gorgeous! Where I live in the US, it is so hot, very little is blooming right now - except my vegetable plants and the morning glories.

If you join link parties, I would love to have you link up to mine each week.

By the way, I just joined you as a follower. ;)

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

June said...

Oh you could never, never bore me with pictures of your amazing garden Carola. I looked over every photo enjoying every one. You have the greenest thumb I know.
BEAUTIFUL!!!
sending hugs...

Hampton said...

Maravilloso y envidiable jardín, Carola. Besos

Kat from California said...

I found you through Vintage with Lace. I love to look at cottage gardens. Your garden is so lush and beautiful. I love the little groupings of table and chairs too. I would never be bored to look at pictures of your garden. Thanks!

Sandra Foster said...

Hi Carola! I just had to take the time to stop and say what beautiful pictures you take. Have you ever considered joining Red Bubble. It's a very friendly community where you can upload your images and they do the rest of the work in preparing to sell it anywhere from a postcard to a poster. Drop over to mine and please do consider it. (Ps: I don't get anything for saying this either.) Just cut and paste:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/sandrafoster
Wish you well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails