Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Thursday, December 22, 2011

White Vintage Christmas inspiration 2011 part 4

Update: 
Looks like I really messed up this post while deleting pictures in Picasa that I thought was there twice ~ duh me! I couldn't stand the look auf the black windows with exclamation marks instead of my pretty photos so I decided to edit this post and deleted all the black windows. 
I'll try to restore the missing pictures soon!
xoxo~ Carola

Welcome back to Boxwood Cottage dear blogging friends and readers and to part 4 of my Vintage Christmas Inspiration series. So guess what, yes right my Christmas tree is finally up! We drove down to our favorite farmer in the country side of Lower Saxony last Sunday and picked it up freshly cut. When I came home I put it up right away and started decorating it the same evening. I never ever had my tree up a whole week before Christmas ever before because this is all against German Christmas tradition rules, but as my US friend Evi said so right in the comments of my last post: Rules are there to break them! Ha and so I did! I have a whole week more time to enjoy the tree and that is sure worth it!


I used all my vintage German glass ornaments and my vintage tinsel garlands and couldn't resist the all silver & white theme again since it is my favorite. I'm still adding to it though, just bought more candle clip holders and more white wax candles today. When the tree is up my already quite small house feels even smaller, you can see a part of my tree peeking into the photo of my dining area in the picture below and the comfy seating area on the other side of the room is much smaller too now but of course so much more cozy and festive!


I also like the very small tree on my dining table, you can see it in the mirror in the picture below. Yes I know, I just couldn't resist taking another shot of my Victorian snow angel doll which is sitting in front of the mirror. I attached a "Frohe Weihnachten" (Merry Christmas) zinc sign to the mirror.


Here is a close up of my dining table decorations with the small tree and a cardboard box of vintage glass ornaments that I found many years ago at the flea market:


Today was my first day off work for the holidays and I went doing some serious last minute Christmas shopping with my mom and my daughter. It took us the whole day and we came home late this evening (Thursday). I couldn't wait to come home though to open my Vintage Christmas friendship swap parcel from my friend Lisa of Tarnished & Tattered, which I picked up at the German custom office this morning. Oh and such wonderful things sweet Lisa sent me, I just had to take some pictures to share them with you:


I always admired Lisa's altered waxed bottles and I'm so happy that she made me one and such a gorgeous piece, I love the old script on the waxed paper and the vintage cameo brooch she attached to it and of course the pretty glass bottle stopper, isn't it wonderful? :)


The whole parcel sented so heavenly Christmassy thanks to this pretty Christmas soap she gifted me with and I also got a whole role of flat spun cotton! Wohoo can't wait to start working with it!


 I further love the vintage seals with the silhouette of a lady carrying a gift box, the sparkling clips, the white milk glass star plate and the great black and white vintage milk bottle caps.


Oh and of course also the vintage button cards, wooden rulers, small bottle brush trees, gorgeous old lace & cabinet cards and the cool metal wings! I tried to capture all the goodness in the photo below. To see more details click on the photo and then right click and chose "show graphique/picture"  and then right click again on the open picture to get the original size!
.

And did you spot the beautiful altered tobacco tin ornament which I hung in my little tree and also the wonderful vintage Holiday sheet music with the black silhouette lady portrait? Oh I simply love it all dear Lisa, thank you so very much! I just hope that my parcel for you will arrive at your doorstep very soon too!

Tomorrow (oh well it's already today, it's 6 in the morning of Friday here and I been up almost all night) I will decorate Lisa's treasures around the house and put my festive dining table decoration, the old oval mirror and the old glass oraments in the box back on:


To make the season a bit more Christmassy we also had the first snow of the season this week, although it only lasted a few hours before the snow became rain again, at least I took a picture to remind me of it:



But now let's drive down to my parents home where I also took some picture of mom's Christmas decorations to share with you:


I love this corner of their living room with the beveled mirror and mom's ore mountain angel collection on the drawers below it. Click and enlarge as described before to see more details!
While trying to take a close up of the mirror and the chandelier I always catched myself in the mirror trying to get out of the picture lol even though I used the tripod I couldn't take a decent picture of the mirror and the chandelier without me and/or the camera in the mirror lol. It was quite a funny action!


Mom also put the white Christmas pyramide from the ore mountains out and up again, which she inherited from a good youth friend of her's:


In the next photo I captured mom's collection of wooden German incent smokers standing in one of the living room shelves, which are also all from Thuringia in the ore mountains. The wooden stars on the transom door are all made by my dad though:


This wooden pair of vendors are also from the ore mountains. Mom is a big fan of this art called "Deutsche Volkskunst" well it's translated German folk art:


I also tried to get a decent picture of the decorated living room window which wasn't easy in candle light and without using the flash, which I hate doing and it wouldn't have worked out with the reflecting window in the back anyways. Mom has her vintage press glass collection in the window and also some vintage German glass tree toppers which were made in the ore mountains too. My dad has constructed the window shelf itself btw:


 There also is a sweet vintage nativity scene to be seen underneath the window and so much more prettyness.

I also liked this close up of the Christmassy decorated chandelier which I painted white for my mom:


 So let's go over into my parents dining room:


You'll easily see that my mom is a great collector of so much more, like old Christmas tree stands and old German china/porcelaine. I'm sorry for the blue lighted house of my parents neighbors to be seen in the window. We so don't like it! Why can't they use pretty white lights instead? Oh well I know tastes are individually different, thanks God lol


 Isn't this tiny drawers cabinet and the area below decorated so sweet and Christmassy?:


And I also love how mom has decorated her feather tree (a gift my daughter gave her for last years Christmas when she came back home from her studies in Buffalo N.Y. - I got one too as you might remember if you are a regular reader)  with very old vintage glass ornaments:


The antique cotton batting Santa I tried to capture more close up here is one of my favorite ornaments at mom's:


And isn't the old tree stand gorgeous and the way the sheep I got mom for her birthday last March is sniffing on the tree walnut ornament?:


Well now I have to leave you for this Friday trying to get some sleep before dawn, because today I have to be fit to get all my Christmas preparations done. I haven't wrapped a single present yet, oh well so I'm very thankful that my dear daughter is doing the baking and the cooking for tomorrow, all fully vegan of course!
Here is a last picture for you of the Christmas preparations at Boxwood Cottage taken on Wednesday: 


See I still have to add some more candles to my tree!
Now here's wishing to all of you my dear readers and blogging friends around the world a very 
Merry & Peaceful Christmas!
Happy Holidays!

xoxo~ Carola

I'm linking up with the following link parties:


29 comments:

Lis said...

Liebe Carola

Wunderschön sieht es aus, sowohl bei dir als auch bei deinen Eltern! Ich hab dieses Jahr sehr sparsam dekoriert, denn wir hatten ein paar Tage lang die Handwerker im Haus und da wäre eh alles eingestaubt. Als sie dann weg waren hatte ich einfach keine Lust mehr dazu und das milde Wetter trug auch nicht gerade dazu bei mich in Weihachsstimmung zu bringen.
Ich bewundere immer wieder dein Geschick alles so wunderschön zur Geltung zu bringen, dieses Gen fehlt mir einfach :-)

Nun wünsche ich dir und deiner Familie ein frohes Fest und ein glückliches 2012

LG Lis

annelies said...

I love the way you and your mother have decorated your houses! Hope you will have a lovely Christmas with your loved ones.
Seasonal greetings from your neighbouring country (the Netherlands).

Angel said...

love your vintage finds...merry christmas

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful home again dear Carola . Your moms house is so pretty too.
Love those feather trees - wish me one too :o)
A very Merry Christmas to you too
xoxo

Di said...

The series in just so beautiful, thank you for sharing all and your mom's house too. A new follower, I came over from Tiny Bear Studio. Merry Christmas, Di@cottage-wishes

Lisa said...

Carola,
I'm glad your gifts arrived in time.
I just don't know where to begin. Your home is just so magical. Everywhere, every corner, just 100 details to take in. I'm glad you took some American advice & put the tree up early so we could enjoy it. I still can't believe you put lit candles on it. The dried out trees we get at the hardware store would go up in a blaze in 2 seconds!
I see where you get some of your talent & love of old. Your parenets home is fantastic! I especially love the tree stands & the collections in the cupboard.
Well, merry Christmas dear friend. I'm off to pin! LOL
Lisa

kcjewel said...

Beautiful pictures... your garden looks magical!

Cindy said...

So many lovely things to look at. I will be spending much more time looking. Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

Ivy and Elephants said...

You and your mom are amazing. I love everything that you have done. You two have a fabulous Christmas.

Paula

Diane said...

Thank you for all the beautiful pictures of your wonderful Christmas home and your mom's. Thanks for the inspiration all year long. Merry Christmas to you. Diane in Wyoming

Jenniffer said...

Everything looks so enchanting- both at your home and your Mom's! As always it is magical and inspiring. Have a very Merry Christmas! May your joy overflow!

kandeland said...

Carola, I didn't know your daughter went to school here in Buffalo! I would have loved to have met her! Anyway, your house looks wonderful as always...a constant source of inspiration! Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and a very bright new year, xox natalea

janet said...

Beautiful pictures..I love the garden photo..
Have a Blessed Christmas..

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Hello Carola! You and your parents have such beautifully decorated homes! Your ornaments are all so lovely, and the stars your father made are wonderful! Your pyramide is fabulous... I was totally amazed when I saw a wooden one like that for the very first time. I always remember those little golden metal ones with the angels that would ring tiny bells after the candles were lit -- to see such a huge wooden one is amazing! I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! -Louise

oldgreymare said...

I took the tour and then started right back at the top and looked it all all over again, so I would not miss a single treasure.

I am wishing you and yours a very blessed holiday and nothing but great joy in the coming year. I am so blessed to have you in my circle of friends.
xx
z

JoAnn S. said...

Carola, love the holiday decorating, so many terrific ideas. all our relatives are far away..my son in army is in parsberg germany so he is having a great german xmas.
since we dont have much company i am inviting bloggers to come look at my trees...i have 4 lol
hugs and have a great new year
JoAnn

Monica said...

Dear Carola,
your home is magical, especially at Christmas!
I wish you a wonderful celebration!
Monica xo

Evy said...

Merry christmas to you, I hope that this day is of the happiest for you and your family!
Joyeux Noël!!!

Beautiful day

Monie said...

Hoi Carola. Dank je wel voor je lieve reactie op mijn blog . Ik wens jou ook een heel fijn en creatief 2012! Wat heb je een mooi blog , ik heb ervan genoten! Groetjes van Monie

My Beautiful World said...

Wow what a lovely Christmas post. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas day. So nice to meet you just found your beautiful blog and so happy I did. I have enjoyed looking around and I'm now following you, if you find a spare minute hope you visit me sometime and follow back so nice to meet new friends. Sending you special wishes for the Christmas holidays and New Year I’m looking forward to keeping in touch in 2012.

Always Wendy

~*Feathers and Flight*~ said...

Merry Christmas Carola
I can see that this Most Amazing Vision for Design runs in the Family! No Wonder your are so Inspired! Your Mother is one of your Muses! That is so Wonderful, So Special! Thank You for Sharing these Beautiful Photographs with us!
Hugs
Jill

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Hi dear Carola, Your home is again decorated so very beautifully for Christmas. As always there are so many fabulous details to discover. I could spend hours looking at everything. Your parent's home looks very inviting as well. I see your Mom has a collection of cast-iron Christmas tree stands too. It's a good idea to have some of them displayed on a board. I love the feather trees your daughter brought home for you from her stay in the US.
Hopefully you had a most wonderful Christmas. Wishing you all the best for 2012.
Big hugs,
Julia

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

When I commented this morning, I was still im my PJs and all of a sudden realized that I should be at a doctor's appointment five minutes later. OOps! So I jumped up, ran into the bathroom, got dressed and of course came a little late to the appointment. When I came back home, I finished my comment but unfortunately and due to an obvious lack of short-term memory, missed something important, namely saying something about the gorgeous swap gifts you had received from Lisa. At least I remembered later and so I guess I'm not a totally hopeless case, LOL. I love the bottle very much. It's so beautiful. All the other gifts, Lisa had found for you are wonderful as well and I know you'll have fun using them for your decorations and creations.
Hopefully I haven't forgetten anything else to mention but wait, I wanted to tell you how cute I found your idea of letting the sheep sniffing on that walnut ornament. That would be all for now, I guess, but who knows ... ;-)
Have a great evening, dear Carola!
xoxo,
Julia

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

Your home is spectacular! Just love everything especially all the vintage touches.

Naturegirl said...

Weihnachtsgrüße liebe Carola!
Oh such a warm and cozy Christmas atmosphere you've created in your sanctuary filled with unique simple pleasures of this Joyful Christmastime!
I love the silver and white theme which speaks of winter white. I too decorated my home with winter white and silver.
This year has come and gone so quickly and it is always a JOY to remember such sweet friends I've met through blogging over the many years!You are one Carola.
I think I can say I've known you for some 7 yrs!You lured me to your blog through your gorgeous garden!I always felt as though I was right there strolling alongside you.
I wish for you so many wonderful things this coming year.May you have good health as well your mother and I wish you a prosperous
New Year filled with many surprises.
I will be seeing you from Arizona as I leave first week in January!
Liebe und Licht Anna xoxo

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Carola this is such a magical post! All the wonderful Christmas goodies of yours and your moms. Just so beautiful. I'm so glad you decided to put up your tree early. I can't imagine only a week before Christmas. But I guess many of us over here take down our trees and decor right after Christmas. Thank you so much for always joining in, I so appreciate you being a part of Vintage Inspiration, Have a Happy Happy New Year, xoxo

Rusty Hinge said...

Hello Carola! Thank-you so much for stopping over for a visit and taking the time to leave a comment! Thank-you too for pointing out Elizabeth's blog, I had never been to her blog before and I love it and am her newest follower. I so enjoy following your blog as well!! :)
I hope you have a Happy New Year!
Maria
www.rustyhinge.blogspot.com

Katherines Corner said...

I enjoyed my visit to your wonderful blog. Hugs and Happy New Year! P.S> please stop by Katherines Corner and add your lovely blog to my blog list page :-)

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Hi Carola!

I had commented before, but I guess it didn't go through. I wish you a Happy New Year. I loved your tour of your mother's house - it brought back fond memories of my time in Germany. Everything is just so beautiful. I miss living there so much.

Wishing you and your family all the best,
Love
Elizabeth :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails