Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

About moths, butterflies and bleeding hearts ~ A short April catch up post


 Welcome back to Boxwood Cottage dear blogging friends and readers to a short (at least for me - only 10 photos today) April catch up post about soldered moths and butterflies in my studio as well as the Spring awakening (finally) of my boxwood garden.


 I was so very inspired by a class called "The dead bug society" that my idol Sally Jean Alexander 
( she always has the best ideas and imagination and I would have loved to be there in person and take her class and learn some of her tricks and techniques - oh well hopefully one day) currently gave in San Diego, that I just had to give it a try and see if I could make it and so I figured out on how to solder my own insects. I also loved how they put them under glass in old books and here are my first results. Above and below is my first soldered moth in a very old book found at one of my flea market excursions in which I cut a deep window and then I soldered a thin glass pane under the book cover . It can also be displayed standing like in the picture below. 
So what do you think, did I do my idol SJ justice?


 Apart from the moth I also tried my first soldered butterfly (see below) and I'm so glad that I learned to free hand cut my own glass instead of just buying pre cut glasses in online shops because there are so many more possibilities since then :)


Well that's it from the studio for now and I hope to share some more creations with you in May. 

I hadn't had the luck yet in April to catch a beautiful butterfly with my camera outside in my garden although I saw some of them swirling around already but nevertheless I'd like to take you outside for a short stroll:


 It has finally warmed up here and Spring has really sprung after what seemed to be the longest and coldest Winter ever to us, especially March was so cold and frosty that nature is way back in our garden and I couldn't help but buying some Spring flowers to bring in some more color and delight.
The bleeding heart is one of my many favorite Spring flowers so I had to have a white and a pink one. In the flowers beds they just came out and aren't blooming yet but these beauties from the nursery are already in full bloom and aren't they gorgeous? The spanish lavender in the shot below is another nursery purchase. I have to buy one or two of these beauties new every year because they aren't frost resisting here in Northern Germany.


 The magnolia bush has just started to open its white starry flowers and all the bushes and trees are beginning to show a hint of fresh green. I took a birds eye view shot from my roof top studio window to share with you and you can see all the greens sprouting in my flower bed under the white rose arc. Especially the tulips and alliums all have buds to burst open very soon and I can't wait to welcome them back again!


 It's so wonderful to be able to enjoy the garden and the warmth of the Spring sun again and since I'm off work for the whole month of May (yay) I'll be doing just it as best as I possibly can :)


 May is my favorite garden month of the year and so I hope to share many more garden delights during this wonderful month with you my dear friends and readers very soon.


 I'm going to leave you now with another shot of these pure white bleeding hearts:


And wish you all a very happy "May Day" and a great start into the wonderful month of May!
Hope to see you around soon!

24 comments:

Luna und Luzie said...

Liebe Carola,

der soldered Maikäfer ist ja klasse!!! Der Schmetterling natürlich auch. Das hast du wirklich schön gemacht, ich bin ganz begeistert.

Deine bleeding Hearts sind wirklich prächtig!
Jetzt fängt zum Glück endlich alles an zu blühen. Heute nacht hatten wir hier aber noch Frost. Ich habe meine Topfpflanzen noch unter dem Dach und hoffe, dass es ihnen nichts ausmacht. Nun scheint zum Glück endlich die Sonne.

Ich wünsche dir einen schönen ersten Mai!

♥liche Grüße
CS

Karen B. said...

Good morning dear Carola,
I love your book with the moth you created and your butterfly is beautiful too. Your garden must be an amazing place to sit, rest and enjoy the beauty of all the flowers.
many hugs
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Maureen said...

Oh your soldering is beautiful, love the moth and butterfly! Wonderful work!

Your garden is amazing - I would love to have a paradise like that in my own back yard.

Sadly, Spring teased us with just two nice warm days, and then we awoke to snow this morning! Arrggghhh!

ShabbyQueen82 said...

Liebe Carola, wunderschön, Schmetterling und Käfer :-)! Und ein traumhafter Garten! Liebe Grüße, Michaela

Lululiz said...

I don't know what to admire more, your garden or your soldering! The moth in the book is stunning, you did an amazing job. Ah, and your garden, what a lovely place. I can imagine it in a few weeks' time, when everything is blooming. Paradise.

einfallsReich said...

ich bin begeistert von deinen werken!!!
und voller bewunderung für deinen blühenden garten ;-)
meine tränenden herzen sind noch gaaaaanz winzige knospen.
herzlichste grüße & wünsche an dich
amy

oldgreymare said...

Carola, your winged creations are delightful, and of course your gardens are always magical. Sounds like more news about the job situation?
Enjoy your first glimpses of Spring <3

Ivy and Elephants said...

Carola I love your sweet butterflies! I'm sure she would be pleased with the fabulous job you've done. The book as a display is just perfect!
I see that spring has really come your way, your garden looks amazing!
Hugs from here,
Patti

Robin Sanchez said...

I took Sally Jeans class and it was an awesome. She has the best ideas. Carola your bugs are great!
Robin

Anne said...

Oh, my goodness, Carola! I just found your blog (Pinterest) and yes indeed, you did a fantastic job on your soldered moth and butterfly! I love bugs and bug-themes/motifs! So happy to have found you, and am now following!
Best,
Anne

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Your soldered insects turned out fabulous, dear Carola. I can see more beetles popping up in your studio and no pest control needed, lol. I have a thing for bugs and just rescued a May beetle that Barney was about to eat this morning.
Love your white bleeding hearts. They are so pretty. It's great that you have the whole month off and can enjoy your garden. Have lots of fun, my friend!
Waving and sending big hugs,
Julia

Nook and Cranny said...

The garden is lovely. Glad you can enjoy it for a whole month.

Debra Oliver said...

your little soldered bugs are just so fun! love your beautiful garden!

Fishtail Cottage said...

yay for gardening! come over and join the garden party going on over here at Fishtail Cottage! xoox, tracie

Jeannie and Linda said...

I've never seen anything like your soldered bug1 It's amazing! So is your white bleeding heart and your wonderful garden!

Peace,
Linda at The French Hens Nest

justys said...

oh wow, so ein toller Blog in Bremen, ich werd Wahnsinnig, auch ich habe Dich gerade entdeckt und bin mir sicher, öfters vorbeizuschauen...toll, Bremen so nah...klasse, herzliche Grüsse, aus dem sonnigen Horn Lehe,
justys

Fishtail Cottage said...

love your white bleeding heart! so much to love though in your entire garden...everything looks so happy! thanks so much for coming over and linking up to the first garden party of 2013 over here at Fishtail Cottage! xoxo, tracie

Lisa said...

Hello Carola!
Thank you for the birthday greeting! I was thinking of you yesterday as I'm re-arranging my studio and did a big display with my top hat:) That story still makes me smile, I tell it to many.
Your garden is absolutely a dream. I love all the little paths and areas. Like a secret garden. Bleeding Hearts are one of my favorites too but can't grow here of course. We can grow cactus! LOL Actually I spent the weekend cleaning mine out & adding new plants.
Your soldered butterflies are beautiful, you'd make Sally proud.
Lisa

Angela Betlewicz said...

Your garden is beautiful! I’m hosting a new linky party at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/efforts-and-assets-linky-party-1.html

I would love to have you!
Angela

Lidy@FrenchGardenHouse said...

Love love love your garden! I love the bleeding hearts, especially, Carola. I wish we could grow those well here in California.
xo Lidy

Connie said...

Hello, I am head over heels in love with your blog. I feel like I have discovered a gold mine:) Every inch of space here is amazingly beautiful. I am your newest follower and I'm adding you to my front page blog-list. I do not want to miss a single post.
Amazing Blog!!!
Your newest follower, Connie :)

lynn said...

your garden is beautiful, carola!! love the moth and book design, and your free hand bfly looks sweet sitting in that awesome hand! hope you are enjoying your blog break!

TiffanyJane said...

Swoooooooooooooon!!! Love, love!!!
Just beautiful Carola!!!! xox

Amber said...

This is cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails