Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Monday, October 07, 2013

Black & White Halloween creations & decorations 2013 part 1


Can't believe I didn't do one single post last month dear blogging friends and readers, but today I'm back to share with you what I was working on during September. Above for example is a witch silhouette that I cut out to decorate a lamp in my studio for one of my favorite holidays that isn't even a holiday in Germany which is Halloween. I love all things Black & White and so Halloween is the perfect opportunity for me to indulge in these neutral colors. 
Most of the things that I created last month were for my dear blogging friend Julia in Albania so I'd like to share these with you first, now that Julia has got her parcel. Julia had sent me a beautiful surprise late b-day (Jan) parcel in March right in time for Easter so she's got her late b-day (July) parcel in October right in time for Halloween :) 
I asked her a few questions in our frequent e-mails like if she would like something black too, because so far I saw mostly white things in her gorgeous studio and when she said yes she would, I was sure it had to be a Halloween parcel for her and then around the end of July we both started pinning Black & White Halloween things on our Pinterest boards and I got more and more sure about what she would like (btw, here is the link to my Pinterst board Fall & Halloween in case you'd need more inspiration. I have pinned over 1200 inspirational pictures there!) and then I asked her if she has IKEA in Tirana and she denied it so knowing Julia is a paper lover too and IKEA had just opened a new paper section I got a few more ideas on what to send her and especially on how to wrap it.  Well now below is a picture, a first sneak peek so to say, about what I sent her, already wrapped. The b&w paper and the pointing hand tag for instance are from IKEA. I cut out and glittered the silver maple leave and the black bat though:


The striped paper and the Love tag and the top hat tag in the next photo are also from the IKEA paper section. A top hat tag isn't that just too cool? As the top hat lover and addict I am myself of course I had to had these! I made Julia the little witches broom with a b & w paper straw:


Well and of course I had to part with one of my old top hats (no matter if my collection consists of 7 or now 6 top hats right, it's still a collection) for my dear friend Julia. It's over 100 hundred years old and I know that Julia loves all things old with history just like I do. We both have a passion for flea markets and in Albania near Tirana where she lives now apparently are no flea markets, so I had to put some vintage finds in her parcel too and a black chapeau claque seemed just so suiting for Halloween don't you think? I remember how happy I made Lisa of Tarnished and Tattered when I sent her a vintage top hat in a Christmas friendship swap once and was hoping that it would have the same effect on Julia:



I painted and altered the peat pot above and below and added a spooky hand

 and I painted and embellished the lids of tiny bonne maman jam glasses and filled them, this one with a doll leg preseved in water. Oops I think I added the water after I took this picture, but it looks a bit creepy I can assure you:


I also altered a vintage flea market bottle for Julia, gave it a vintage crystal glass stopper and filled it with real vintage mica:


and I felted for her this tiny white pumpkin for:


and made her a Halloween collage on an IKEA clip board for The Witching Hour:


Then I added more flea finds like the big vintage wooden spool below knowing Julia loves these and the cabinet card of a vintage gentleman which I mounted on an old black metal plate. I have a bunch of these old black metal plated found in a leather pocket of a vintage camera. They must have been used for photo taking somehow in the old days. I still have to find out how exactly they were used.


I also found her the tiny old coin purse above and put an old key and keywhole in it for Julia's further use in her creations and then I put it into the skull box (paper maché egg) that you can see below.


The black and white enamel sign is another vintage find for Julia and as you can see above I had lot's of fun cutting out and glittering gourds and pumpkins. So don't disturb their party lol


I had kind of a vintage moon theme going on for some of the things I created for Julia like this egg box that I painted, embellished and filled with tiny treats. If you are curious about what was inside the box and how Julia liked her parcel, you can hop over to her blog Vintage with Laces and see what she shares about it.


My whole Alex drawer was filled with treasures I gathered, shopped, found and created for Julia during the months of  August and September.


Once I had it all wrapped up prettily and sent it off to my dear friend I finally started creating things for our own Halloween:


Like the witches shoe above, my favorite so far, to which i had to add the sharply pointed tip and then painted it all black and added the tiny Dresden foil stars and filled it with the spooky grass, a tiny old picture of a woman, a tiny broom and a tiny witches hat I made (Julia got such a tiny witches hat too btw). I also made the black glittered bats in the photo above and cut out one bat into the paper bag which actually looks great at night when I put a battery operated tea light in it.


Then I created the black and white Halloween wreath above and some paper spider webs inspired of course by Pinterest pins like so many of my creations.


One of my vintage black type writers in the studio holds some of my creations and finds and below is a cute vintage skull on which you can open it's jaw (so I had to put somethin in it he he), that I found on etsy:


I further used some more peat pots to make little treat baskets for the kids like the white painted one with the black Dresden spider web, which I also saw on Pinterest. Oh and don't you like how the round eyes tag in it looks seen through the magnifying glass of my third hand tool below?


I gathered so many black and white things on top of and around the Alex drawer in my studio that I'm running out of space and I think I'll have to bring some things down very soon to decorate the living room with it for the Halloween party.


Btw the neutral colered gift wrapping paper rolls in my new wire paper basket in the photo above are all from the IKEA paper section in case you want some too. An no IKEA is not paying me for saying this, I just want them to keep up this great section in future. They also have the black and the brown number tags which I used for the "31" above and below:


Of course Miss Potter my vintage studio dressform needed to get spookified a bit too so she got a white mask and a black netting and I embellished her not so spooky old top hat with one of the silver glass glittered maple leaves that I made just to make her look fallish:


Further I couldn't help it but had to make a not too realistic looking spider (cause I hate real spiders, they just creep me out) with wire and beads and then I sat her in a lace spider net that I put into an embroidery hoop of course an idea that comes from a Pinterest pin too:


Right now I'm working on coffins painted with chalkboard paint like the one below, but I'm not sure it's done yet:


I'm watching you so BEWARE he he ;-)


Well I think that's all for today but I'll keep you posted on my Halloween decorations downstairs very soon I promise, which by today consists mainly out of lot's of different arranged pumpkins - no orange ones yet so, because I'll save these for carving and only use them in front of my house entrance door in the Halloween week itself. So now I'm going to leave you with another shot of the old bottle which I altered for Julia, just because I like it so.

Oh and btw if you have created something in Black and White for Halloween too, please let me (us) know in the comment section or better even post a link to it, because I'm curious to see it and you can never get to much black and white Halloween inspiration, can you?


Until next time I wish y'all happy Fall days my friends!

19 comments:

Kerstin Bulin said...

Ohhh i love all of your Halloween Creatings...and i looove the creepy hand...where do you buy this please...i love this hand?!?
And all the other stuff...the witches shoes...the pictures...Love...Love...Love...
sorry for my bad english...have a great Halloweenseason...BOO...
Kerstin from Germany

vivian said...

such fun at your place! loving all your black and white halloween decor! Your friend will love the things she received as well. I am surrounded by halloween here and I just cant imagine living where halloween isnt celebrated.. and if I did, I would surely continue to celebrate it just like you do!
have a great week my friend
xoxo
vivian

Maureen said...

Wow what a lucky lady to receive such awesome goodies from you Carola!

Love the bottle you made her. I recently made a Halloween Apothecary (black) filled with tiny bottles (on my blog at www.victorianstudio.com)

I just love all your decorations!

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Hello my dearest Carolinchen, You know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your package!!! It’s just great that we both share the love for black and white Halloween decorations. You’ve created and picked the most wonderful gifts for me and I can’t thank you enough. While sitting on the computer, my eyes often move over to my shelf where I already decorated some of your gifts. I’m for sure one lucky girl :-).
Your Halloween decorations are fabulous. The chalkboard coffin is awesome! I also adore the silhouette lamp and the witches’ shoe very much! On Miss Potter I agree with Roxy that she looks a bit creepy but that’s great. It’s Halloween after all. The wreath turned out wonderful. You are ready to throw the Halloween party. I wish I could come. I’d have the greatest fun to dress up as a witch, lol.
Thank you again for everything, sweet friend and have a wonderful evening. Hopefully you’ll find something to unwrap when you come home.
Big hugs,
Julia

Tabitha said...

everything is lovely Carola!!! i am definitely inspired...i can always count on you...
hugs

oldgreymare said...

Holy Toledo - Holy Cow and Yowza!

Louise Oakes said...

I'd already seen what you'd made for Julia on her blog, a lovely collection of Halloween goodies. You've some lovely items in your home. I particularly like the pointy witches shoe.
Hope you're having a great week.

lynn said...

you are all set for huge halloween fun, carola:) everything looks fabulous--love miss potter esp!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Hi Carola,
So glad to see a post from you! It was so worth the wait! Fabulous Halloween decor. Just when I think, she can't have something new, you thrill us with a ton of amazing new decor! Love it all. The coffin is adorable. Keep inspiring!
Hugs,
Patti

Lynn said...

Hello,
I am not sure how I found your blog but so happy that I did!! I love all of the amazing things you made and sent to your friend! My name is Lynn and I live in Conover, North Carolina, USA! My hubby and I share our home with 3 of the cutest and spoiled rotten dachshunds ever! I was wondering if there is a good supply of vintage dachshund items in your area in Germany? We have had a dachshund as a pet for over 26 years and passed the love of the breed down to our youngest child, our daughter, Dana. She has the 2 litter mates of our Cocoa Puff and they are the children of Bella and Sarge! At one time we had 5 doxies but we have lost our two oldest girls, Baby in 2010 at the age of 16 and her daughter, Pebbles this past Feb who was 14 years old. We collect dachshund items and I love vintage anything LOL. The older the better. I can't stand the cheapest of how items are made today but the prices are sky high!!!My hubby and I will celebrate our 31st anniversary on 10/12/2013! We have furnished our home with antiques and vintage pieces since we were first married! Just wanted to stop by and say hello, ask about the supply of dachshund items in your area of Germany, and to let you know that I think your creations are super! Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Lynn

Susan Clayton said...

What a super Halloween post. I'll be featuring you next week and will use one 'teaser' picture if you don't object. Please stop by and pick up by 'featured at' button. Always fun to see what you're up to! (My step mom is from Bremen)Have a great week.

Patty Antle said...

I am crazy over the bonne maman jars - are they sold in the states? I've been googling and not thinking so. Love your blog - new friend via Tabitha.

Tillie and Georgia said...

Very nice! Such imagination and talent!!
Came here from "Maine Coon Luna"

Pendra said...

Wow, I'm blown away... I was at Julia's and had to come visit this wonderfully creative person and blog! I am your newest follower and admirer and look forward to seeing more!!
Hugs,
Pendra

DogsMom said...

So much to love and I may have to change my answer for favorite photo!

there are several blog parties this weekend, if you have time I'd love for you to join. Links are on my blog.
One is al altereed shoe challenge and your shoe is divine!

I am sure you could also do something wonderful for the Broomsticks on the Bayou party this weekend or the Haunted Tea coming up October 26th.

I want to come back and play more!

Celia said...

Love this post!! So many goodies!! Thank you for participating in my challenge. I am still having trouble with loading pictures on my computer. I hope to have it fixed soon.

Norma Conway said...

Your palette is so clean and inviting. ALL of your work looks just so great together. I love you altered shoe a lot! Fabby things here for my eye to enjoy! *smiles* Norma

2amscrapper said...

here for the shoe, and oh my, what a wonderful surprise to see all these stunning creations!

Alexandra Eitel said...

Liebe Carola, ich wünsche dir einen guten Rusch ins neue Jahr.
liebe Grüße Alexandra

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails