Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Sunday, November 15, 2009

From rearrangements, tinsel trees and swaps

Welcome back to Boxwood Cottage! I'd like to share you with you my latest crafts, swaps and some rearrangements in the living rooom which I just finished. Of course it is also getting Christmassy at Boxwood Cottage at this time of the year!



Above is my hallway if I can call it like this because my living room is one open space now, but in the other cottages of our row the walls are still in and this part is originally the hallway. The white door is leading down to my basement. At the right side of the door was my book shelf which my mum and I moved to the other side of my livingroom yesterday afternoon beside of the patio door and my old cupboard. My cottage is quite small, so I always have to think how I can rearrange things to fit better and still let the room look bright and wide enough.




Well this is how the book shelf looks on this side of my living rom and I like it much better there! Following I show you some pictures from the other side of the room starting with the white shelf over my couch, which I decorated with star lights and pressed glass plates and some other favorites:



Last week I made this mini tinsel tree, isn't it cute? On the left side is the other part of the white shelf and on the right side the shutter that I moved from beside of the window over here for a new look:




Following  is an overview of the right side of my living room. I also have a new old window, of which you can catch a glimpse on the right in these photos, I'll show you some more photos of that window in my next post, because the decoration of this part is not yet finished.




This is my fave corner to sit relax and read:




One of the table decorations are these papier mâché pine cones, that I wrapped in thin alu chocolate paper to give them a festive look. You can get these pinecones over in my little shop: http://www.boxwoodcottageshop.blogspot.com/



I found this sweet little putz village on etsy lately and together with my bottle brush trees it makes such a beautiful wintery scene: 




Now I like to share with you my new tinsel tree. Do you remember the wooden tree my dad build for me last year? Here is a picture:  farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/3054847777_f4bcb29b0a_o.jpg  I painted it white and than I wrapped tinsel garlands around the branches. I wanted a tinsel tree since I first saw some in the beautiful Merry & Bright book 2 years ago and so I started collecting tinsel garlands. The most beautiful tarnished looking ones I got from my friend Madai in last years swap:



The best part was of course decoating the tinsel tree! I love the whimsy look it gets with the vintage silk top hat on top. I also used the soldered ornaments I made last season as well as a Charlotte doll head, my dads old pocket watch and the felt girl I created last season as well as some silver leaves ans other white and silver ornaments and I'm really happy with the outcome :)







Madai's cute little lamb and the sweet girl ornament from Nelda Ream made it on my tree along with icy glass birds from Thuringia




My vintage mannequin got some wintery treatment with white skates and my granddads old silk to hat, so the studio is all ready for Christmas now:





And lastly I'd like to share with you the latest swap parcels I got. My dear friend Anita of My country cottage garden spoiled me with two of her beautiful cushions. Maybe you already spotted them in my pictures above. The rose cushion sits now on my white chair in the neutral colored cushion on my willow couch. Anita not only sewed new cushions and birdies for me but also treated me with some treasures from Paris, a vintage french bulletin, a pressed glass plate, sweet doll house paper and an Atelier sign. If you are interested I posted more pictures of Anit's parcel on flickr:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/boxwoodcottage/4080566912/
Thank you so much Anita a swap parcel from you is always a feast! :)



The last picture of this post is a swap from my new friend Julia. I first met Julia through an e-mail she sent me with a question on where to find bottle brush trees. We stayed in touch and meanwhile Julia opened her own blog http://www.vintagewithlaces.blogspot.com/ where she shares her lovely creations. A few days ago she kindly offered to send me a set of 3 bottle brush trees she found in a local store (they are really hard to find here in Germany) and was so nice to send me some beautiful surprise gifts along, all very creatively wrapped:



I especially love the old laces, the vintage book with silhouette pictures and the little bag with my initial letter. Thanks bunches for your lovely surprises dear Julia!
Well i guess that's it for today folks! It's 1 am here and my bed is calling loud and louder!
Nite nite xoxo Carola

21 comments:

Coastal Sisters said...

Everything looks so beautiful! I love your tree...especially the top hat! What a wonderful idea!

I hope you have a lovely week :)

LuLu~*

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Dear Carola, it is always a delightful treat to see your beautiful cottage. I love your tinsel tree so much! It is so original and the decorations are really beautifully whimsically you! xx

TinyBear said...

Wow Carola - everything looks so beautiful. I love how your living room looks like and all your decorations and your tinsel tree too - can´t find any of these in Denmark eighter. And that little village is so cute (have to go hunting for that - lol).
Beautiful gifts too - Can´t stop looking at everything.
xoxo Tina

Lis said...

Hallo Carola

Musste doch wieder mal bei dir vorbeischauen, nachdem mir mein Google Reader einen neuen Post von dir angezeigt hat. Schön ist dein neues Wohnzimmer geworden und die neuen Kissen kamen mir gleich so bekannt vor. :-)
Ich hatte sie zuvor schon bei Anita gesehen und mir gleich gedacht dass das was für dich wäre.
So ganz allmählich werde ich mich auch um die Weihnachtsdeko kümmern, ich muss erst mal sortieren was davon noch schön ist udn was entsorgt werden kann.

Schöne Woche und ♥liche Grüße Lis

Kamila said...

Pieknie mieszkasz . Pozdrawiam gorąco z Polski

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Liebe Carola, Du hast wieder wunderschön dekoriert! Der Tinsel Tree ist ein Traum und sein kleiner Bruder ist ja putzig! Das Dorf ist auch ganz entzückend! Wie ich sehe, teilen wir auch noch die Vorliebe für Pressglas. Ich habe u.a. einen ganzen Stapel kleiner Desserteller(?) gesammelt, die ich sehr gerne als Untersetzer für Kaffeebecher nehme.

Viele liebe Grüße und weiterhin fröhliches Dekorieren,

Julia

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Carola, everything is so gorgeous! Your tinsel tree is exquisite ~ I wish I had one just like it in my livingroom for Christmastime! Your blog is always a delight to read and admire! Hugs to you! =)

Natacha said...

Hallo Carola,
Vielen Dank für deine Reaktion! Ich hatte vorgestern auch hier reagiert, aber da scheint wohl etwas schiefgelaufen zu sein.
Dein Bilder sind wieder wunderschön! Ich habe sie alle angeklickt und mir die vielen kleine Einzelheiten angeschaut. Deine "Cottage" ist so romantisch eingerichtet.
Wie lustig (na ja, lustig...) dass Du auch eine Tochter mit problematischen Haaren hast. Das Shampoo dass die Friseuse benutzt ist kein richtiges Shampoo. Es ist schon eine chemische Flüssigkeit um die Haare zu glätten aber speziell für Kinder ab 6. Wir haben sie jetzt einmal behandelt und das war vor 3 Monaten. Zusätzlich kriegt sie dann Extensions fest mit eingeflochten. So wird das Haar schön lang und nachher (+/- 6 Wochen) lässt es sich dadurch wieder besser rausholen. Bin schon froh dass der andere Afrikaner im Haus ein Junge ist hihi! Meine grossen Söhne möchten ihm so kleine Locken drehen oder flechten, wie man sie oft bei den US Basketballspielern sieht, aber das kann er dann gerne selbst tun wenn er erwachsen ist!!!
Liebe Grüsse nach Deutschland,
Natacha

Anita said...

Hi there!

Oh, I was so pleased to discover the cushions that I sewed for you on the first pictures (ich dachte, dass Rosen-Kissen sollte erst zur "Rosenzeit" im nächsten Jahr wieder rauskommen *smile*). You home always looks so welcoming and cosy.
Have a great week-end!
Hugs, A.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I love this!!! Just toooo darn cute....and so creative.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Vickie said...

I love all the photos. I especially love where you curl up, it looks so inviting!

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

What neat things you have to add to Vintage Christmas Monday. I am so glad that you are joining us for the holiday season. I will be going back to add you to the list. xo Joan

Dawn said...

Hi Carol, this is my first time here, came over from Joan's Vintage Christmas Monday. Your cottage is so charming. I love all your decor and the use of the top hats is so whimsical! I just love them.
Hug,
Dawn

~~Carol~~ said...

Everything is so incredibly beautiful! I especially love that top hat as a tree topper! I hope I see more of your decorations next week!
Happy Vintage Christmas Monday!
Carol

rochambeau said...

Your tinsel tree!!!!!!!!
and your dress mannequin sporting skates are BRILLIANT Carol!!
You are setting a stage and getting me excited for the holidays!

xox
Constance

one gal's trash said...

Gorgeous and Dreamy...especially the snowy village.
Pam

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Your creative space is stunningly beautiful and I am inspired with all of your lovely details! Thanks so much for sharing and please come visit when you have a moment! Coralie

Theresa @ 612Riverside said...

I love that tinsel tree that you and your dad made, the ornaments on it are beautiful and the top hat adds such a fun touch! your blog is so inspiring, thank you! ~ Theresa

Ann Marie said...

Hello!!

Your blog is soo lovely!! I'm so gratefful you stopped by my blog.. so I could find yours! We share similar styles and interests! :)

Love what you wrote about New Moon. Very short.. Sweet.. and exactly what I feel!

Thanks again for stopping by.. everything here is oh so lovely!!

linnea-maria said...

How lovely you have decorated your home! Have a wonderful weekend /linnea-maria

Lori said...

Carol, no matter the season...no matter the holiday...your home is always filled with the most charming and enchanting vignettes...you really have such a gift for arrangement and display...i love your banner from Madai, i just found out this morning that i won one of her banners...i am even more excited about receiving it now that i see how gorgeous yours looks on your mantle!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails