Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Monday, December 07, 2009

Vintage Christmas Monday part 3

Welcome to the second Vintage Christmas Monday
where again I join Joan from anythinggoeshere @ http://thepottingshed-anythinggoeshere.blogspot.com/in her Vintage Christmas Party. As promised last week ,I was at my parents home yesterday to take pictures of my mum's vintage Christmas decorations. Just click on the pictures to enlarge them and see more details:



My mum collects vintage dolls and old porcelain and dishes as well as almost all beautiful old household  items that you can imagine for several decades and she loves to decorate her home with old vintage items from the late 1800s to the early 1900s mixed with beautiful new vintage inspired items. Unfortunately the light wasn't very good on Sunday so that some pictures are a bit blurry and others taken with flash look a bit cold, but my Olympus C760 camera gave it's very best for you. Below you can see part of her collection of antique iron Christmas tree holders:



This is a pretty white cupboard in the guest bathroom also decorated with a vintage inspired Christmas angel:



Mum's antique dolls got dressed up in their most delicate vintage lace outfits for the holiday season:



In the following photo is my parent's antique sideboard filled to the brim with vintage china and decorated for Christmas:



You'll find vintage inspired wooden angels from the Erzgebirge (Oremountain) Deutsche Volkskunst (German Folkart) at many different places in my parents home at this time of the year because my mum is an avid collecter of these little precious figures.



This for example is her grand angel orchestra:



A very old window decorated in the window shelf of one of the living room windows:



Beautiful raspberry red glass baubles in a vintage inspired wooden box:



A seasonal decorated chandelier in front of a vintage mirror:



Another chandelier decorated with new and old glass baubles:



This is one of  mum's greatest Christmas treasures, a vintage silver basket filled with very old glass Christmas ornaments, which she inherited from a very good friend that unfortunately has already died:



Close up of another silver basket with vintage glass Christmas ornaments:



That's it from my mum's home for today I hope you enjoyed seeing some of her Christmas decorations.

The next picture is taken at my home because yesterday was Nikolaus Day here in Germany. Saint Nicholas comes late at night and fills the booties of the children with sweets so they find them when they awake in the morning of Nikolaus Day. Then in the afternoon the kids walk around their neighborhood, go from door to door and say a little Christmas poem and get some candies as reward. It's a bit like your Halloween tradition just without any mean tricks.



I painted and decorated vintage inspired papier mâché Santa boots for my niece and nephew and filled them with sweets, but shhhh don't tell them it wasn't Saint Nicholas ;-)



The last picture is a sneak peek of the friendship swap parcel I made for my friend Madai from Wren Cottage in SC USA. It's finally on it's way to you sweetie! Hope you'll get it when you come back from your business trip!

Now I look forward to visit all the participants of Vintage Christmas Monday to see their treasures.

Hope to see you again next Monday for part 3 of Vintage Christmas Monday
xoxo Carola

28 comments:

Lis said...

Auf diesen Beitrag hab ich schon sehnsüchtig gewartet und wurde auch nicht enttäuscht! Die Weihnachtsdeko deiner Mum lässt wieder mal mein Herz höher schlagen und ich sehe so viel schöne Dinge, dass ich wahrscheinlich den halben Nachmittag am PC kleben bleiben werde! :-) Ihr beiden habt wirklich ein goldenes Händchen für tolle Deko, das kann man auch nicht lernen. Man hat es, oder man hat es nicht!

LG Lis

Denise said...

Yummy yummy decorations! Your Mum's house looks so warm,cozy, and inviting. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Maggie B said...

Beautiful decorations everywhere one looks, I agree totally with Lis, you've either got it or you haven't.
Maggie

Fancy Fodder said...

Hello Carol!
These decorations are amazing :+)
I especially like the grand angel orchestra...and can almost hear them singing!
Your decorations from last week's post are beautiful, too :+D
Happy Vintage Christmas Monday
xoxoxo
Franny

Judi said...

Not only are the Christmas decorations beautiful, but your Mum's entire home with all of her antiques proudly displayed is equally wonderful. Thanks for sharing her treasures and providing a glimpse of life in Germany!

Lori said...

well, it's easy to see where you get your talent and flair for display Carol...your mum's home and decorating are just gorgeous!!! i adore her collection of santas and how sweetly she has them displayed...thanks for sharing!!!

Sylvia said...

LOL...I love the angel orchestra, I bet they have sweet little faces too! Beautiful decorations...

Rebecca said...

Hello
WOW your mother's home is wonderful - full of beautiful ornaments and so fun to see as we don't have anything like that here in the US. I also like your tradition of St Nick better than out Halloween.
Blessings
Rebecca

Twinkle Pink said...

hello Carol thank you for coming by me it was really nice to see you there - is this vintage monday every monday - what a lovely idea.
I love all your pics and your mums christmas stands all together are a great idea and of course all the lovely baubles - the best vintage christmas baubles were supposed to have come from Germany - i have some at home and the colours are gorgeous. Happy Vintage Monday

best wishes Ginny

Mrs. Staggs said...

Hi Carol,

I've very much enjoyed seeing both yours, and your mom's homes decorated for Christmas in such lovely and charming ways. Many of the ornaments bring me nice thoughts of my mom's Christmas tree over the years. We lived in Germany for 4 years when I was very small, and she collected ornaments for her tree, while there. My sister has those now. I sometimes add one or two vintage ones to my collection, when I see them in antique stores.

Your artwork, my friend keeps becoming more and more beautiful all the time!

xo
Lena

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hello Carola... everything is just stunning! I love the vintage Christmas tree holders, and the angel orchestra is precious! Bisous... Julie Marie

Postcardy said...

I love the angel orchestra. Nikolaus Day sounds like fun.

KarenSue said...

That was so much fun! Your Mum has beautiful things. I love looking at everyones treasures. This let's us all show off a little.

GeorgiaPeachez said...

So much beautiful vintage christmas stuff! xo, suzy

Petite Michelle Louise said...

stunning! thanks for sharing! ~*~*~*~* michelle ~*~*~*~*

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

I love your mom's collection of antique tree holders...makes my old antiques dealer heart beat faster!

And what a wonderful collection of angel band members. Loved my trip around your mom's house.

Happy Vintage Christmas Vintage Monday. xo Joan, your hostess

Heidi said...

Carola,
You mum's sweet collections are wonderful! I especially love that angel orchestra! Your santa boots are sooo cute! What a great tradition!
:)Heidi

Jane said...

Your Mom has some fabulous vintage Christmas items. I love the angel orchestra and the tree stands!! Everything looks so festive.
Jane

Dawn said...

What a lovely visit to your mom's home. The tree stand colleciton is beautiful! Each is a work of art in itself. Thanks for sharing so many wonderful things and sharing the tradtion of St. Nicholas.
Hugs,
Dawn

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

You obviously have inherited your decorating talents from your mother. I have loved looking at all her vintage trasures. The dolls are lovely. What a beautiful post! xx

Natacha said...

What a pleasure! Great pictures. You and your mom really have the same style and talent for decorating the house. I love all her little angels, especially the orchestra is so sweet.

sandra said...

Carola,
What a beautifully decorated home your Mum has! Fantastic collections of angels and carolers! I absolutely love all those old Christmas tree holders~~~they are just gorgeous!!!!
Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas
Hugs,
Sandra

kslaughter said...

I guess the talent for making beautiful vignettes runs in your family : )! Thanks so much for sharing your mom's lovely, cozy, Christmas-y home~~

Ange said...

Carola I have a few German friends here in France and I am always astouned as to the beauty of a German Christmas. It is ver inspiring... Looking forward to seeing more! Ange

Rita said...

Hi Carol,
I've just discovered your amazing blog and I'm so glad I have.
I adore your post, so full of gorgeous Christmas decoration so beautifully displayed. OMG, wouldn't know which one(s) I like best as they are all of them so preciousl thank for sharing.
if you have a chance, come and visit my blog. I'll be happy to meet you there.
until then, enjoy this second advent week.
With warm wishes
rita

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Bei Deiner Mum sieht es ja auch so toll und gemütlich aus! Die Idee mit den Christbaumständern finde ich super! Liebe Grüße und einen schönen Tag, Julia

LiLi M. said...

Oh Carol! It wasn't just that I didn't have much time, but someone (who's name will not be mentioned here, but who won't escape my punnishment!!!) has been googling with my rss feeds! Look it a the bright side: now I have 2 or 3 of your lovely posts to savour!
I just love your mother's house. It so reminds me of my own family, unfortunately my parents don't live anymore, but they all were collectors of antiques from the early 70ties too! I love the Erzgebirge angels too, I only have a small band, but these evoke so many happy memories. I inherited my mothers dolls and you and now your mother too, inspire me once again; to dress them up for Christmas. I have to start with decorations though. I have been so busy with revamping my son's room and here it is not done to decorate before Santa (the same as the one you are talking about) has left the country. Now my daughter celebrates her sweet 16 next Saturday, so I want to decorate for that and then finally next week I am going to take out the Christmas decorations. I only have some photos of last year on my blog, because I didn't have time to post them then and some recent vintage finds!
Up to the next post!

Gena said...

Hello Carol! lovely pictures! you must work very hard to achieve such a beautiful look!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails