Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Monday, December 14, 2009

Vintage Christmas Monday part 4


Welcome back to Boxwood Cottage dear blogging friends and readers and of course all party guests to the Vintage Christmas Party part 4, as always hosted by Joan over @ http://thepottingshed-anythinggoeshere.blogspot.com/


Yesterday was the third of Avent and I took some photos around my Christmassy decorated home. The photo above is my Advent wreath he he well it is an iron basket stand to say the truth, but decorated with red wooden apples a vintage glass Pomegranate and other baubles as well as 4 vintage candle clips it became my Advent wreath. Candles were lit everywhere in the cottage yesterday afternoon and it was very cosy (click on pictures to enlarge them for more details):


I love to hang glass baubles and ornaments on all my chandeliers. I have 3 hanging chandeliers in my living room


I also did some vintage inspired Christmas crafts yesterday morning, but before I show you mine I have to show you one of my favorite ornaments of the season, hand crafted by my talented friend Madai from Wren Cottage is this enchanting glitter cone, isn't it just too cute?


I also played with glitter yesterday. I created two vintage inspired angels and two spool ornaments, made from vintage wooden thread spools as well as a large glitter snowman box.


I decorated them on and in front of an antique string instrument I recently found in my mum' s basement and she gave it to me :) She simply has no space for it so she thought it would be better to give it a new home at Boxwood Cottage.


I found the instructions for the glitter snowman box in the latest Martha Stewart Living magazine, which I got kindly sent by my flickr friend Kathy od Readthreadart. Seeing that I had all the necessary supplies handy of course I had to make my own glitter snow man box. The head and the middle ball are styrofoam balls, but the last and biggest snow man ball is a papier mâché ball (Kugel) that opens so that you can fill it with a little gift or candies. You can get these papier mâché balls over at my little shop blog www.Boxwoodcottageshop.blogspot.com btw for sale now, for just 1Euro/1 Dollar the piece! Email me to Carolinchen39athotmaildotcom if you are interested. You can find the instructions to make your own sparkling snow man treat box also on Martha's website here: http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/easy-holiday-crafts


I made the Victorian angels with German angel scraps, German crêpe paper, some tinsel and German glass glitter (click picture to enlarge for mor details). For the other ornaments I used old wooden thread spools and embellished them with tinsel, German Dresden foil borders and other little embellishements that I found in my studio. I found the idea for the spool ornaments on Beth's Patina White blog btw and had to adopt it instantly, because I find it so great!


Close up of my first two vintage wooden thread spool ornaments, I'll sure make more of these, so fun!




I just had to show you this poster on which you found lot's of gorgeous vintage Christmas ornaments, isn't it pretty?


Lastly two photos which proof that cat's love Christmas decorations too! Do you spot our tabby tomcat Riley in the shot below?


He has made himself comfortable on the cat sctatch tree which I decorated for him with a fir tree garland. He loves it so much, he thinks he has his own real tree in the house now he he I took these photos yesterday afternnoon when the cottage was lit by candle light.


That's it for today. I hope you enjoyed your stay on my Vintage Christmas Monday party.
Like every week you can find lot's more Vintage Christmas Party posts in the side bar of our VCM hostess Joan's blog over at www.thepottingshed-anythinggoeshere.blogspot.com

Have a a fabulous week everyone and enjoy the cosy season! We have strong frost now here in Germany which is forecasted to stay until after Christmas wohoo so I cross my fingers for getting a little snow and a White Christmas this year!

xoxo Carola

26 comments:

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

Pretty and sweet as always.

When I wrote my kugel post I knew you would be the one who would be familiar with them.

I think I can actually see your cat SMILING!

Thanks for being a part of Vintage Christmas Monday! xo Joan, your hostess

kslaughter said...

So many lovely things to look at! I love your advent wreath and your snowman.....you really know how to make things your own! Thanks for sharing your cozy Christmas cottage~~and sweet Riley ; ).

Lori said...

ooooh, your kitty is so cute Carol...maybe i should hook mr madison up with his own tree, so he will keep his furry butt out of mine...LOL...i LOVE your little angels...and what you did with your spools is SO cute and clever!!!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

Everything looks so beautiful. I love the spool ornaments you made. I have so many old wooden spools. I'm going to have to try and make some of those. Your blog photos are always so pretty.
Blessings,
Marcia

Linda said...

Love those spool ornaments...soooo PRETTY! Thanks for the visit...please come again...the door is always open! Merry Christmas!

Blessings,
Linda

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hello Carola... your cottage looks so beautiful and so very cozy! I love your little angels! And how precious Riley is in his own "Christmas tree"... waiting for Santa Paws! Kitty kisses Riley! Love to you... Bisous... Julie Marie PS Hoping you get the snow you are wishing for!

Postcardy said...

Your advent wreath is very creative. I like your little angel ornaments too.

At first I thought your cat was on a chandelier!

Fancy Fodder said...

Hi Carola!
I love your decorations!
Nice idea to hang glass baubles from your chandeliers.
And your cat Riley: How cute!
I have two cats...they like new things too :+)

~~Carol~~ said...

You always take the most beautiful pictures, but then it's probably easy to do that, because you're surrounded by beauty in your home! That stringed instrument is such a great backdrop for those angels and that snowman. And kitty looks like he is definitely loving Christmas!
Merry Christmas and Happy VCM!
Carol

Kelly Ballard said...

Hi Carola,

Your little cottage is so lovely, especially illuminated with the candles. I like the little kitty perch, too. Cats are funny how they like to look down upon us from on high. Every evening my cat leaps up to the top of hutch and looks so content up there.

Kelly
Second Hand Chicks

The Lazy Peacock said...

your pictures are so beautiful! i just love those glass balls. everything is so lovely, but i think my favorite is riley and his tree. so cute.

TAPESTRIESOFNATURE said...

YOUR HANDMADE ORNAMENTS ARE JUST LOVELY. I WAS QUITE CAPTIVATED BY THE CLEVER WAY YOU ADORNED THE WOOD SPOOLS.

POP ON OVER TO MY BLOG SOMETIME, IF YOU LIKE. AND IF YOU DO, PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOU WERE THERE.

CHEERS, JUDY

Brenda said...

Thank you for stopping by! Everything is so pretty. I really like the wooden spool ornaments you have made. I think they are my favorite!

Betsy said...

You decorate so pretty.
Clever way to display candles of advent.
Everything is so Christmassy.
Betsy

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Carola, your cottage looks like something from a fairy tale. I love it! I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that it snows. Then it will be even more fairytale like! xx

Zuzu said...

Hello Carola,
Wonderful, wonder-filled post and art crafts! I discovered your blog about 2 weeks ago and immediately added it to my blogroll, and enjoy visiting very much!
Have a beautiful day,
Zuzu

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Was sich bei Deiner mom im Keller alles so findet ...!!! Die Zither ist echt klasse und Deine Engel machen sich da prima! Deine Chandeliers gefallen mir auch sehr gut! Madais Tüte sieht chic aus. Ist das Glasglitter auf dem Stern?

Viele, liebe Grüße

Julia

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

Carola-- Just so lovely and whimsical!! I love your pretty clear ornaments on the chandys and the spool ornaments you made are darling!!!

Enjoyed touring your pretty home!

LiLi M. said...

Hello Carola! As always it is a treat to be here! I love...everything of course! I am crafting with German scraps too. Even the new ones still have that antique feelling and it gives every craftwork an instant vintage touch immediately! Love the dolls you made on the beautiful string instrument.
Riley looks so darn cute in his special spot. He just seems to know that you put each and every decoration up there especially for him! And ah that poster! Wish I could choose a few items from there! Don't know whether you have the time to come over before Christmas and I don't know if you will have any posts before, but just to be sure; I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Natacha said...

Hi Carola,
I already had a peek yesterday, but today I had some time to enlarge all your pictures. I love your transparent baubles. They would be perfect in my Christmas tree as well.
Your craftwork is lovely again, the angels and the spools...beautiful.
I wish you a Merry Christmas!
Natacha

*Ulrike* said...

Hello Carola! You did a wonderful job on all of your ornaments, and I really like the snowman! I will need to get together with my daughter to make one since we both love snowmen. The spools are also so pretty!
Ulrike

Lis said...

Einfach wieder traumhaft schön! Die Idee mit den Fadenrollen muss ich mir mal merken, ist eigetlich ganz einfach, doch die Wirkung ist trotzdem fantastisch!

LG Lis

Lorrie said...

Your crafts are beautiful. I really like the angels.

Lorrie

Mitzi Curi said...

Carola, all of your creations are so beautiful, and they look wonderful in your home. I love the picture of your kitty watching you take pictures. Adorable!

Merry Christmas
Mitzi

Annemary said...

oh tes décos sont magnifiques j'aime ton style !!gros bisous à+ viens voir les miennes ça te plaira aussi !!!!

The Tablescaper said...

It's like you're stepping back in time!

- The Tablescaper

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails