Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Here's to a happy, healthy and creative new year 2010!

Welcome back to snowy Boxwood Cottage dear blogging friends and readers! I hope your holidays were filled with wonders and magic!



Riley and I send you our best wishes for a wonderful New Year 2010!



The little mieshief made himself comfortable in the middle of my winter decorations pushing my glittery putz village away, but he looks so cute in there that I just couldn't be mad at him lol

I don't know about you, but I for one love the Winter season especially when it is cold and white outside and so cosy in the cottage and I keep decorating my home with wintery scenes like this white glittered branch I found last week for 50 % off and the gorgeous silver glass pine cones were 50% off the original price as well. I decided to go and shop for Winter/Christmas decor after Christmas every year from now on, it was so much more fun with everything costing just half of the original price.



Doesn't it look pretty against the white outside?



We still have lots of snow here and got even more yesterday and it is very cold for North Germany, a freezing - 8 degrees celsius.

Although I love gardening and my flowers, I think the winter season is so beautiful and relaxing. There is more time for visiting with family and friends and more time to create. I feel more and more that I'm a true Winter child, being born at the end of January. My daughter is born in January too, her birthday is coming up next Saturday already.Yesterday my mum and I had a wonderful walk through the freshly fallen snow, this was so refreshing and beautiful. Well don't get me wrong, of course I'm also looking forward to spring, when nature awakes again, but I totally enjoy this season too. One thing I love doing at this time of the year is watching the birdies outside the window.



I took the photo of the geese above through my sisters cottage's window on Christmas day. The two cuties are called Hans & Anne (Hans is the white one) and my sister rescued them this last fall from becoming Christmas meals. She has to bring them in their shed every day before twilight sets in, so that they are safe from the beautiful red fox which is strolling around their cottage. Did you know that geese can get 40 to 60 years old? I wish for a long and happy life for Hans and Anne!



These next pictures I took yesterday through my parents home's living room window. Above on the rusty crown sits a common self-heal (called "Braunelle" in German language) which just enjoyed some of the food my mum lovingly prepaired for her little garden friends consisting of whole grain oat flakes, chopped nuts and raisins and some oil.



At first glance you may not see our little feathered friends, but if you are patient and wait a while and watch closely you'll suddenly spot them everywhere.



like my favorite birdie of all the European Red Robin



or the Great tit(mice)




as well as the cute Blue tit




There is enough to eat for every garden bird in mums garden, they can find it in little houses and feeders all around her home.




Of course the bigger birds although get their fair share of sunflower seeds and peanuts, but their feeders are a bit away from the ones of the small birds so my pictures of them where to blury to show. Can you imagine how wonderful it is to just sit in the warmth of your cottage and watch your feathered friends enjoying themselves?

I'll go out in the garden now to fill the feeders so they'll find enough food to keep them warm from the freezing cold.

Happy New Year my friends, stay warm and cosy and enjoy the Winter season!

xoxo Carola ~*~*~

27 comments:

Birgit said...

Liebe Carola, ich wünsche Dir, Deiner Tochter und sweet little Riley auch ein frohes neues Jahr. Du hast Recht, auch ich genieße den Winter sehr, sehe den Vögeln zu, wie sie aus- und einfliegen im Futterhaus und finde es sooo gemütlich aus dem Fenster zu schauen, um den vielen Schnee im Garten zu bewundern.
Wie lieb von Deiner Schwester, Anna und Hans vor dem Ofen zu retten. Sie sind so entzückend.
Liebe Grüße
Birgit

sandra said...

Hi Carola,
Yes, I love winter too....wish we could get some of the beautiful white stuff, but that doesn't happen very often here in the south. We get the cold (14F last night and that will continue all week, though it's unusual to get that cold and stay), but never moisture at the same time! Watching all the little birdies is one of my favorites things, too. We have all kinds of finchs, and like your Mum, we have lots of feeders filled and waiting for them. Love all your pretty decorations you got on sale, especially those pine cones.
That is just THE sweetest picture of Riley among all your pretties!
Hope your new year holds only the best.
Hugs,
Sandra

Lori said...

it is looking like winter here too now...we usually have had a lot more snow by now...but this year it showed up a little later...it has been snowing non~stop for three days now...and i heard it is going to keep up through to next weekend...i'm glad i don't have anywhere pressing to be...i don't like driving in snow...just looking at it...your pictures are lovely!!!

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Happy New Year, dearest Carola! That is a magical post. I also love winter the best although sadly we don't get snow in Australia. How I wish. I also love to watch the birds. The red-breast is lovely and the little tits so gorgeous. Birds and snow are two of my favourite things. My German girlfriend came to visit me over Christmas. She went straight to my tree exclaiming in delight at two of the ornaments. Guess who made them? xx

Twinkle Pink said...

You take some great pictures Carol - they really are good .. i love the branch you got half price too.

Well i hope your christmas was good and wish you and your family well for the new year.

btw thank you for your comment and in answer to your question my pendants are doing great ;-) - a couple had a little problem but i sorted it really easily and they look absolutely fine.... i look forward to bringing out my spring pendant soon... and also putting Marie Antoinette back out - she stays out all year :-)

Anyway all my best wishes always Ginny x

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Carola!! And an early Happy Birthday to you and your daughter. Well I can't say that winter is one of my favourite seasons but you have managed to convince me of its beauty through your gorgeous photos. Best wishes to you for a most wonderful year. TWT

Lis said...

Jetzt hab ich drei Mal einen Anlauf zum kommentieren genommen, aber immer wieder kam mir etwas dazwischen!
Deine silberen Winterdeko sieht ja wieder fabelhaft aus und dann im Hintergrund der schneebedeckte Garten! Traumhaft schön!
Auch bei deiner Mum sieht es wieder klasse aus und vor allem ist der Tisch für die Piepmätze ja überreich gedeckt.
Wir haben hier nicht ganz so viel Schnee wie ihr Nordlichter, aber vielelicht kommt in den nächsten Tage ja noch Nachschub. Der Winter ist ja noch lange nicht vorbei udn kalt genug dass er liegen bleibt wäre es ja

LG Lis

June said...

Hi Carola,
I'm excited to see all your beautiful birds. Reading this lovely post makes me almost excited for these Winter months.
Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog today and I wanted to tell you that the foxglove in the picture are the perennial 'Strawberry' foxglove. I believe the name is Strawberry mertenisia. I'm don't think my spelling is correct though.
It's always wonderful to come here and see all the beauty you create here in your cottage. Your kitty is such a love.
hugs

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

Silly me put your blog address wrong on my sidebar!!! so glad I found you again today. Who knew ducks lived that long? Love the new decorations. I'm with you I keep it up all winter!
xo,
Carole

Sweet Daisy Mae said...

You photos are beautiful...the snow so calming..and the birds, love it all! Living in Wisconsin we have LOTS of snow..AND cold temps but you make it look so inviting despite the chill. Can't wait to see what you share with us next...thank you.

donnaobrien said...

Dr. Zhivago's got nothing on you!! Your snow scenes are cinema worthy!!
D.

Natacha said...

Your photos are lovely again. During winter time I use my garden table, which is just in front of me when I'm on my computer, for feeding the birds and this gives me so much joy every day!

Grandma Jan said...

I love your pictures and have read every beautiful word below them

Janice Dauksch In Missouri USA

Michele said...

Hi Carola ~ I so love all your pictures. We have so much snow here too in Wisconsin and are getting more today...about another foot. I haven't been able to get out and feed my little furry friends...as it's been so VERY cold.

Have a wonderful day...and thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures!

Hugz,
Michele

Merci-Notes said...

Hi Carola!
I have made it ... I am excited to be visiting again and I start at your wonderful home!!!
I was wondering why the oil is needed in your Mom's bird dinner recipe? I like how it is all right in your home and seems like it is healthy for them.
xo, Mary
p.s. LOVE the white tree!

Maureen said...

Hello Carola and Happy New Year!

I am now in my new home and longing to get on with the garden. Like you we bask in arctic weather and since we moved in it has been too cold to get a fork into the ground!

However, I have a plan (ahem - similar to your garden in fact) we are planning a vegetable garden and I am going to have a cut flower garden. This is going to be hidden behind the greenhouse so I don't mind picking the flowers.

Being retired I should have plenty of time to do the work........

Inspiration i vitt said...

hello Carola, which wonderful garden pictures you have at your blogg. I look and looks long on your nice fotos. Yours blogg inspires and I want to see more hihi.
Hug on you/Ingela and thankyou for vicit my blogg.

C. Dianne Zweig said...

Photography is so fresh and crisp ...great blog...come visit, Dianne

Lenay W. said...

First time visitor to your site, wow it is lovely, your garden is beautiful. Reading your blog and looking at the photos is very relaxing and inspiring! Bookmarked for future, Happy New Year!
Lenay (in U.S.)

Sugar Bear said...

I do love the coziness of winter as well though by about mid-February I'm ready for it to be over with!
Karla

kslaughter said...

What a lovely post, Carola! I love all the wintery, snowy photos. Thanks for sharing--wishing you a warm and wonderful new year~~

Amy. said...

I love the photos that include the cats!!! So sweet. I think the geese are as cute as can be!!!
Amy

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Hi Carola...hope you had a wonderful Christmas & new year!

Your winter garden is stunning! Your gazing balls provide color against the white...it's just beautiful!

Love teh shot of Riley peering out the window!

Tina said...

Happy 2010 to you, too. I love visiting your blog, it is so full of inspiration! Thanks.

I’d like to create a similar atmosphere on our terrace as you have on yours, this is so lovely. So far there is a little black iron gecko waiting to be put there… I think I will keep it in some mediterranian style but want to put there what I like there… And I think I neeeed one or two of those white/red lanterns.

Natacha said...

Schön hast du das gemacht. Sieht wirklich gut aus!

Susan said...

very nice blog!!!!!

Cobblestone Creations said...

I simply must leave a comment and tell you how much I've enjoyed my visit here ~ I feel I have found a kindred spirit. Your photos are so beautiful and your blog is enchanting. I am tempted to go through each of your posts right now but I think I shall savor them slowly with my afternoon cup of tea for many days to come.

I found you through the OWOH event and I must go leave a comment on that post too for your lovely giveaway.

Until my next visit,
Laura

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails