Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

*~*~ A white vintage Christmas *~*~

Sharing this post from December 2010 with:


Welcome back to Boxwood Cottage dear readers and blogging friends! First of all let me apologise for being MIA for so long again, let's just say that after a beautiful October the month of November was just not mine this year. Something very shocking happened to our family which has turned our lifes quite upside down, but there is always hope and light, like in these two pictures from November in which I catched the beautiful sunlight shining into my parlor. These were also the last flowers that I picked from my garden before the frost which came early this season.


I brought my potted rosemary inside this year to protect it from the strong frosts. As you can see when you look through the window it was still quite green outside on November 13th when I took these pictures:


But that changed quickly. The next day we went into the woods and brought home the first signs of Christmas:


Like this mini fir tree - I just like to look at the roots floating in the water:


I also managed to meet up with my sister and the kids and our dear cousin Stefanie this very weekend and we crafted all together and I made my first felt acorns. I'm still not sure if I'm going to glitter them or not.


The next Sunday we attended the last antique market of this year and I brought home all these pretties and some Christmas gifts which of course are still top secret.


Then I started to decorate for the holiday season and Riley always tried his best to help:


I hung snowflakes and paper doilies and glitter stars
in my old transome window - the room divider


and started to decorate my faux white mantle


Always with the view of a White Vintage Christmas in my mind. It was fun to incorporate this years flea finds like the old trumpet into the Christmas decor


and of course I always love to decorate with all the pretties I get in friendship swaps from my sweet flickr and blogging friends


The three old silver German glass tree toppers with leonean wire are all this years flea- and antique market finds


The white paper maché boot I dedicated to my friend Ann from the Tin Rabbitt. When I saw how beautiful and nostalgic dear Ann had decorated a similiar white Santa boot in her wonderful Christmas home I just had to do something like this with one of mine. The glass beaded sticks in the boot are from our swap back in January this year. The old tinsel garland is also from this friendship swap with Ann as well as the paper dove and two of the cream colored bottle brush trees and the gorgeous paper cone. The beautiful paper garland was from my swap with sweet Tina.


The picture above is probably my fave so far. Almost all the bottle rush trees you'll see in these pictures are from either swaps or etsy purchases. The two white feather trees for example are form Brandy's beautiful Brandyvine boutique on etsy. 3 years ago I've got a bunch of bottle brush trees in a swap with Cari and one is from my German friend Julia of Vintage with laces.


It is such a good and soothing feeling to surround yourself with beautiful and meaningful things from other artists and dear friends as well as with old flea market finds with a soul and a history.


Sometimes I make an exception like for these two pretty vintage reproduction bells, but at least they are vintage inspired. The 3 smaller bells are all old flea market finds.


Then when the days got really dark over here a very good family friend came and brought me some light


He knew that I was looking for an old door for a long time now so he went out to find one for me and brought me this pretty and chippy old white door from around 1850.


Of course I had to decorate it for the holiday season at once and call it now my Christmas door and it is a door of hopes too because since I have it things are going much better again then the 14 hard days before. The pretty bottle brush wreath that I hung on my Christmas door is a friendship gift from my sweet friend Madai.


I quite like the doors side by side right now, also I already have some other ideas in mind on where to put it which will come with lot's of rearranging so that will have to wait until the new year.


That's a picture of what the frozen garden looked like in mid November, when I had'nt even found the time to rake the leaves of my maple tree.


Meanwhile it is all covered in a blanket of snow. Which inspired me to make this little fellow, a cotton batting snowman.

Frontgarden:


Backyard:


Right now as we speak it is snowing even more and my darling 90 years old neighbor Bernhard has just shoveled away the snow on my door path and the street way in front of my house for me. He is just the Best!


Since Christmas is approaching fast, I decorated my iron candelaber with lot's of vintage German glass ornaments in silver and white as a center piece of the Christmas table


The Christmas tree is not yet up, in fact we are going to pick it up at the fir tree farm this Sunday (19th) freshly cut (we went there to chose it 3 weeks ago). In Germany the tradition is to reveal the tree on Christmas eve and not before! So that you can see the childrens eyes glowing with delight when they enter the living room and see the beautiful tree with real candles lit in all it's brighteness and glory with pretty wrapped Christmas presents underneath. This is my favorite childhood memory and we are still doing it this way in my family.


Well my dear blogging friends and readers I'm not sure if I'll get around to blog again before Christmas. My daughter is coming back from her semester abroad in Buffalo NY in two weeks time already, initially she had planned to stay another month after the semester is finished and to travel along the east coast to Florida, but now with my mom being ill she wants to be at home with her family for Christmas and I'm very glad about it. I still have a lot of things to do and to finish at home and at work before the 23rd of December when Roxanne comes home and my vacation starts so if we don't hear eachother anymore this year I cordially like to wish all of of you a very peaceful and beautiful Christmas time together with your loved ones!

Enjoy the holidays!


Update Saturday 18th of December: The chances are quite high this year for a white Christmas because it is snowing and freezing still:


xoxo~ Carola

I'm linking up with the following link parties:


and



and


52 comments:

Regina said...

liebe carola,
traumhaft sieht es bei dir aus.du hast alles soooooooo wunderschön dekoriert.die alte tür ist der hammer
dein schneemann ist ein traum.
hier hat es heute nacht geschneit und schneit noch immer.....es sieht
so schön winterlich aus......
ganz liebe grüße und ein schönes
adventswochenende wünscht dir von ganzem herzen regina

Anonymous said...

Sehr schön deine Fotos zur Weihnachtszeit ! Mal sehen, wieviel Besucher du am Ende dieser Tage zählen kannst. Gruß Papa

Kelly Mac said...

How beautiful everything looks! You have created such an enchanting world in your home, every nook and cranny filled with treasures and memories. I'm sorry to hear that things are not well. 2010 seems to have been a hard year for many of us. We lost my dad this and my mom too has been ill. I am praying that you get to spend a wonderful Christmastime together. Glad your daugther is getting to come home.

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

This is all so very very beautiful. I just love a vintage Christmas. Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. Thanks for taking the time to post your wonderful images for us to see.

Anonymous said...

Your vintage inspired Christmas looks wonderful, so many treasures. I will come back to look for more inspiration in the New Year.

Pattie said...

Hi Carola, I hope everything goes well for you and your mother. I am near Buffalo, where is your daughter studying? It's pretty cold here! And we are supposed to get another blast of snow this weekend!
Everything looks beautiful!
Have a safe and peaceful Christmas to you and yours, also. 8>)

NanaDiana said...

Carola-You more than made up for being gone so long. The post is absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful! Love it! Peace and Happiness to you too~ Hugs-Diana

chateau de fleurs said...

So many inspiring and clever ideas!
Thanks for sharing, Christie

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

Carola, The things you make and the way you put things together always are an inspiration. I could look at your pics for hours as there is so much to study!

saganaga said...

i would enjoy visiting this & sitting down for a cup of tea (but without my children as they would touch & possibly break everything!)

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Hello Carola,
Your decorations are beautiful...your home looks magical and enchanting! I also love the treasures you found! I am sorry to hear about your Mom being ill and know first hand how difficult that is. I hope that Roxanne enjoyed her time in Buffalo and am happy for you that you will have her beside you and with the rest of the family at Christmas. Take care and enjoy the season! Laura :)

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Carola, whenever I see your photos it makes my heart sing, as if I'm visiting my "homeland" at the holidays! (My mother always made our Christmases VERY German when I was growing up, especially with the packages from the Black Forest we received from my Tante Vera each December.) I pray for you and your family, for peace and health and happiness (we had a very sad, sad family situation this past October ourselves, and I've been praying LOTS - I'll include you in my prayers).
Love,Louise

stadtgarten said...

Liebe Carola, Du hast wieder so wunderschön dekoriert! Dein Adventszimmer strahlt so viel Wärme und Geborgenheit aus!
Ich wünsche Dir und Deiner Familie eine schöne Advents- und Weihnachtszeit und viel Kraft in dieser für Euch schwierigen Zeit!
Liebe Grüße, Monika

Karen said...

I happened upon your beautiful blog and all of your Christmas decorations are simply beautiful. May 2011 be a wonderful new year for you and your family.

Tina @ TinyBear said...

Your home looks so wonderful Carola - with all your pretty stuff and all the wonderful decorations.
oh - it sounds like your had a hard november sweet friend. Hope everything looks better. Sending lots of thoughts and hugs your way.
xoxo Tina

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Hello Carola! Everything is so magical and beautiful! I'm so happy for you that you finally have a vintage door! It looks lovely all decorated for Christmas!
Michelle

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

LOVE your beautiful post today!!!! Very inspirational, my friend:)
~Debra XXX
Capers of the vintage vixens

JoAnn S. said...

Carola, I simply love everything you have done, I need to come back and study the pics lol. It is all just tooo pretty...I love your little house, You have made it your own, Seasons Greetings and Merry Christmas...hugs JoAnn S

Janet said...

OMGoodness! Your home looks so pretty
for Christmas! I just love the way you decorate!
Blessings,
Janet

Miss Sandy said...

You had me spellbound at your first photo, your home and decor are just stunning!!! Love it all. Have a wonderful holiday!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Carola, what a beautiful blog you have! Love all your gorgeous images. Over the top inspiration!I'm glad to hear things are better for you, hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your daughter being home with you!
hugs,
Debra

Naturegirl said...

Carola your home and decorations are simply delightful to view and your snow garden is magical!
I'm sure your daughter will tell you the tales of the horrid snow fall that Buffalo experienced last week! I am off to Arizona next week to spend my winter in the sunshine surrounded by the desert!I regret leaving my woodland home now covered in snow...but I survive physically in warmer climate!
Wishing you a very Happy and bright Christmas season.
I shall pray for your mother!
love and light Anna xo

Diane said...

I'm in love with your blog Carola. It takes me a long time to read it because I search and enjoy each picture - to see how you put things and arrange them. Your garden is just as inspiring. It's so sweet and storyland-like. I'm sorry about your misfortune and I pray that things will get better for your family. I would like to wish you the most joyous Christmas and a very happy new year. Diane

Jeanine Burkhardt said...

I just LoVe your GARDEN-IN-FRESH-SNOW Picture The BeSt!*!*!
Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Everything is absolutely beautiful! The way you put it all together is just so gorgeous~ I hope things get better for you and your family soon. Thank you for sharing at my party and Happy Holidays.

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness, everything looks so beautiful. All your lovely decorations and your mantel is just perfect. The snow looks so beautiful on your garden.
Many Blessings to you and your family this Christmas
Rebecca

Lis said...

Boa Carola, bei dir sieht es ja aus wie in einem Winterwunderland! Traumhaft schön kann ich nur sagen, aber du hast halt nun mal ein Händchen dafür alles so toll zu arrangieren. Und wenn es keine Flohmärkte gäbe, für dich müsste man sie glatt erfinden, lol!
Ich wünsche dir und deiner Familie ein frohes Weihnachstfest und alles Gute für 2011

LG Lis

Xela said...

Tolle Schätze hast du fotografiert meine Liebe! Ich wünsche dir trotz deinem Stress ein erholsames Weihnachten.
liebe Grüße Alexandra

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Oh liebe Carola, du meine Güte, das klingt ja ziemlich dramatisch! Ich hoffe sehr, dass es Deiner Mutter bald besser geht und drücke alle Daumen!
Dein Haus ist wieder wundervoll geschmückt. Ich freue mich auch immer wieder über den Anblick von Kreationen und anderen Geschenken lieber Blogfreundinnen.
Die Tür ist klasse! Deine Freunde versorgen Dich ja sehr gut mit tollen Dingen dieser Art :-).
Alles erdenklich Gute für Deine Mom und ich drücke Dich ganz doll!
Herzliche Grüße
Julia

Kansas Amy said...

Everything is so pretty! Including the backyard. Thank you for sharing!

Kay Ellen said...

Oh my goodness sooo pretty :))

I think we have met on flickr..but maybe my first time to visit your blog~~~

Lovely winter wonderland decor!

Smiles,
Kay Ellen

Paula said...

Hello sweetheart Carola! It is wonderful to find a new post from you! I always look forward to seeing your beautiful cottage, garden and creations! I am so sorry for the bad news you received in November! My prayers are with you and your dear mom! Yes, there is always hope and light dear one!!! I love the beautiful light streaming into your parlor and lighting up all your pretty vignettes! Your cottage is truly a magical place! Why do we have to live so far apart? :) The flowers from your garden are gorgeous! I love rosemary and I am going to purchase one this weekend and keep it inside until spring. I love your window and how it overlooks your amazing garden! All of your vignettes are just incredible and so very inspiring! The little tree is so pretty in the glass jar and you did a wonderful job making the sweet acorns. Oh, I love all the pretties you found at the antique market! Riley is so sweet and your Christmas decorating is gorgeous! Love all your special touches sweetie! Your mantel is just amazing!!! I agree it is wonderful to surround yourself with beautiful and meaningful things! That was so sweet of your friend to bring you the beautiful old door! I love what you have done with it! Your snowman turned out so sweet! You did a wonderful job with him! Love the beautiful photos of your garden covered in snow and the warmth in your cottage! I know you will enjoy having your daughter home! Take care sweet friend and have a beautiful Christmas!!! Sending you lots of love and hugs! Your friend, Paula

texasdaisey said...

I just happened upon your beautiful blog and I stopped a bit to read. What a beautiful place to spend some time.
Debbie

Stefanie said...

Hallo Carola,

du hast wieder wunderschöne Bilder gemacht.
Der süße Riley fügt sich perfekt in deine Dekoration ein ! Hoffentlich ist er auch schön vorsichtig mit all den Schätzen.
Die alte Tür ist echt klasse. Du hast sie toll dekoriert. Mein Favorit ist das kleine Weihnachtsdorf mit den Bottlebrush-trees.
Du hast ja echt viele Filzeicheln gemacht. Ich hab meine so natürlich gelassen, dann passen sie auch zur Herbstdeko.
So nun schau ich mich noch ein wenig weiter bei dir um.

Bis bald
Stefanie

paperbird said...

Stunning Carola- I knew I would find Christmas beauty here.
I love the tiny tree in the jar of water- where will i find a tiny tree like that? So many beautiful ideas. Hopefully next week I can finish decorating- you have given me some wonderful ideas.
Sweet Christmas blessings to you dear Carola

Yvette said...

Carola, I think you have the most beautiful garden in the world. I really do. I've never seen anything as wonderful. Love your pictures and your vintage still-life arrangements. Your home is just lovely. I also love the vintage items you make, can't decide which one is my favorite. But I have to say those little felted acorns made my heart melt.

I'm sorry your mom is ill, but hopefully she'll be better by Christmas and you and your family can have a special day. Well, have a wonderful holiday, Carola. And please know that your gorgeous blog is appreciated here in New Jersey, USA.

June said...

As always Carola, everything is magical at your house! I had to look and look at these picture to take in all the beauty of your Christmas cottage. So many lovely things to see and be inspired by. I am so glad you would share it with us.
hugs

oldflowers4me said...

MERRY cHRISTMAS MY DEAR FRIEND FROM ACROSS THE OCEAN.....

very merry vintage style said...

Everything is just lovely. It was wonderful to tour your pretty home. I especially love the door with the wreath and skates and the collection of bottle brush trees!
Mary

saltbox treasures said...

Oh, I so enjoyed your home tour. Everything is gorgeous! Wishing you a Merry Christmas in your wonderful winter wonderland.
~ Julie

Natacha said...

Liebe Carola, ich wünsche Dir viel Kraft.
Deine Fotos sind wunderschön, sie haben mich so richig in Weihnachtsstimmung versetzt.
Frohe Weihnachten wünsche ich Dir und Deiner Familie.

Sandy Michelle said...

WOAH look at all that snow! Your decor is gorgeous! I love the skates and the tiered baskets with ornaments. Merry Christmas to you!

Sandy xo

time worn interiors said...

Oh Carola it was great to hear from you! It's been a while and I had lost track of you! Your decor is wonderful! And the snow, I know it's a pain, but is lovely all piled up in your back yard. I hope you mother gets well soon! Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the time you have with your daughter!
Theresa
aka:tot

Shannon said...

I just love your blog. So many gorgeous pictures to admire. You are truly blessed. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Ulla said...

Everything looks so magical and wonderous Carola!
You have been busy!!! I see so many delightful crafting and artistic touches... May your season be filled with love and happiness!
Kisses
Ulla

Rose C. said...

Hi Carola,
Really glad to have discovered your blog through another link. Look forward to visiting. Stop by and meet me sometime....

Rebecca said...

Hi Carola
Just checking back, I hope all is well with you and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas filled with love and joy.
Wishing you a wonderful new year
Blessings
Rebecca

Miss Gracie's House said...

Beautiful! My first time here and I love it!
Rene

LiLi M. said...

Wishing you a very healthy, happy, thrifty and creative 2011 Carola and of course best wishes to your daughter and Riley! Let's make 2011 an even better blogging year!

The Rustic Victorian said...

Oh Carola,
I love the acorns....I love everything you do. How inspired I am by your decorating and creating.
oxoxo
Marcie

http://frenchblueandpeachypink.blogspot.com/ said...

I am stunned.....what an absolutely beautiful blog. I have sipped my cup of tea and ooo'd and aaah'd the whole whole way through. Your garden looks like a Winter wonderland and your home is breathtaking. Thankyou for sharing your love of all things beautiful.

Prasad Kumar said...

Hello, I enjoy browsing your different Christmas decorations ideas in your blog. Keep posting for inspirations!

Regards
Prasad

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails