Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Thursday, July 31, 2008

About Miss Rose Potter, Marie Antoinette and my sweet grandma


Welcome back to Boxwood Cottage dear blogging friends and readers and to a no garden photo post for a change although I have tons of July pictures from the garden still to share with you but this month flew by far too fast.
Today is Miss Tiffany's "Show me your form" day! She has got herself a new old/vintage dress form a few weeks ago for a bargain price, which she has called Nadia and her hubby called her a "scary thing" and so she asked her blog friends to help her show her hubby that she's not the only crazy one loving old dress forms by posting pictures of our dress forms.
I feel so very lucky to own an antique dress form, which I got as a gift from a very dear friend in December 2006, you can read my story and see my photos about that here http://carolsgarden.blogspot.com/2007_05_01_archive.html in my second post from May 2006.
These antique dress forms are very hard to get hold of nowadays and if you find one you often can hardly afford her which makes my Rose even more special to me. My daughter calls her Miss Potter, I call her Rose, so I named her Rose Potter!

In the picture above you see a close up of her beautiful neck. Thing is she has had no neck at all when I got her, so I asked my dad to make me one and I think he did a very good job!

I love to move Rose around in my studio and to redecorate her every now and then.
For this photo shoot she has got my vintage chapeau clac that I got from my mum as well as a beautiful vintage blouse with lace that I got from another dear friend - gell Al ;-)
The rose wreath I have had for ages already, it was hanging in a window, but suddenly it occured to me that it would look great on Rose's breast, what do you think?


The beautiful milliney roses are a purchase from Holly over at Holly Doodle Designs.



Tiffany sent us an e- mail that she has 50 participants in her Show and Tell today, so I suggest that when you have finished my post you'll head over to her's here: http://shabbyscraps.typepad.com/shabbyscraps/
where you'll find a list of all participants and so to see all the other beautiful and oh so inspiring photos of bloglands dress forms.

And now to change the subject I'd like to show you a little project which I was inspired to do by my friend Sandy over at ArtTeaLife Blog. She and her "Royal Confections" buddies had the idea to do a round robin in which they alter the Vintage styrofoam body form that you see in the next picture and which you can get from Cerri's Little Pink Studio.


I found Sandy's idea so fascinating that I had to order me a styrofoam body form from Cerri and start altering her and here is what came out of it. This is my first try (double click picture to enlarge and see all the details) :


It's Marie Antoinette in case you didn't guess ;-)) She was so fun to create! The fab thing is you don't have to sew or glue to dress her up. I just pinned everything on her with my hat pins. Even her hat is made with a hat pin (you can get these gorgeous hat pins at Cerri's shop too and also at Andrea's Onehundredwishes and others). I used a vintage wallpaper border from my friend Nicole of Small Treasures, a fabric yoyo for the hat from my friend Anita of MyCountryCottageGarden, a millinery flowerm,some borders, pink Dresdens, lace etc..
Here is a close up of her dress:


And to finish today's "creative post" here is a picture of my last Vintage Wallpaper Wallbox.
It's made from a Kellogs Smacks cardboard box this time and the sweet children in the picture are my grandmother Elfriede and her lil brother. If you haven't seen my first one have a look here: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1647/wallpaperbox3wo6.jpg The fabric border below the old picture says "Vergißmeinnicht" which means "Forget me not" in English and I feel that when I use her photo in my art she'll surely never be forgotten about at least not as long as I live.


That's all from me for today folks, I'm off now to look at all the other "Show me your form" posts which will take some time I think, so if you do so too, you'd better make yourself comfortable ;-))
Happy summer days!
Carola xox
P.S. All pictures in my posts should enlarge to see more details when you click on them and then click again on the orange button in the lower right corner of the photo.

50 comments:

GeorgiaPeachez said...

Your form is so lovely! xo, suzy

Jan and Tom's Place said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! I love all of your items!!

~Blessings,
Jan

Mermaid Queen said...

Love the way you dressed your form! ~Martha

Joy at Cupids Charm said...

Beautiful pictures! I loved all the outfits you dressed her in. You and I think very much alike since my Gertie is always covered with jewels, ribbons, flowers and whatnots. It's hard to stop! I also LOVED your Marie Antoinette doll. What a great idea. I am reading through a stack of Marie Antoinette books right now so I really enjoyed reading about your darling project. ~ xoxo ~ Joy

Counting Your Blessings said...

I got some of Cheri's forms too and did them up for today! =) I love your Miss Rose. The color of her "skin" is just what I'm hoping to do with my latest one. Have a great weekend. Blessings... Polly

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Rose Potter is simply stunning! Love the wreath on her chest. She looks right at home in your studio. I kept looking over her shoulder to get a better look at all your 'stuff'. Your Marie Antoinette is also very beautiful! Have a wonderful day! Twyla and Lindsey

Alisa said...

Both Rose and Marie are stunning! Thanks for sharing.

Anita said...

Oh, what an elegant form you created, Carol!

And I very much like your altered Kellog's box! What a lovely idea to use a picutre of your granny! And the forge-me-not border just fits perfectly (and I have a kind of déjà vu...) ;-)))

Have a relaxing evening, I'll email you!

XoX, Anita

ceekay said...

The forms are so lovely, I really have to try this!

Saucy said...

Welcome to the fancy party, Miss Rose Potter! You are one of my votes for best-dressed.

Tell your daughter that Miss Potter is one of my favourite movies, too *wink*.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Rose is gorgeous & I love how you have adorned her! That Kellogs cereal box is such a great idea. I've got a pic of my grandmother & her little brother almost exactly like yours! What a wonderful & lovely keepsake you've made.

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

cherished*vintage said...

Rose Potter is beautiful! The rose wreath on her bossom looks fab. She's one lucky lady to reside in your gorgeous studio!
-Karoline

Kathy said...

She is absolutely gorgeous! I love her rich chocolate brown color and the way you've decorated her is so beautiful!

And your vintage wallpaper box is lovely!

Have a wonderful day!

My Shabby Roses said...

What a beautiful vintage dress form. You dressed her so whimsical, love the top hat! Your studio looks great too!

Shannon said...

Wow! Beautiful dress form, beautiful photos. I am about to explore your blog. I hope there are more pictures of your studio because I can tell I would love it!

Shannon
www.decorating-ideas.blogspot.com

Scrappy Jessi said...

o my. so much fabulous stuff i need to go back and enlarge the pics. so gorgeous!!!
love your dress form.
oxoxo,
jessi

LiLi M. said...

All your pictures are great as always.
Love your real antique dress form, nothing beats the real thing, don't you think? Vive Madame Potter!
Your projects are nice too, since I saw your first altered corn flakes boxes no box here has left the house!

tiffany~shabby scraps said...

Miss Rose potter is tres chic! I love her! thank you so much for your support in keeping Nadia out of the fire pit!
xoxo, Tiffany

Rosemary said...

Hi Carol,
Rose Potter is so pretty! I love what she is wearing.
Have a wonderful day/night,
Rosemary

Maija said...

Rosie is a hottie, all glittery and girlie!

Carla said...

I love how you've decked out your form--especially the hat. Your dad did a great job on her neck cap. I have to admit I kept getting distracted by your studio in the background. It looks like a wonderful place to play and be creative!

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Miss Rose Potter is gorgeous!! Your vintage wallpaper box is SO pretty!!
Michelle

Cathy said...

Rose is just gorgeous and so is Marie. Your studio looks quite fascinating! I also love the wallpaper box you made. I can never find pretty wallpapers, so I will enjoy looking at this one. Your blog is lovely as always!

Cathy :)

Lynne Laura said...

Your dress form is fantastically gorgeous! I just love it. I so wish I could find one I could afford. ALl your pictures are wonderful and love your pendants!

Kindredly, Lynne Laura

I found you from Shabby Scraps.

Lorrie said...

Please give my compliments to Miss Rose Potter on her lovely appearance. Her costume is delightful.

Your Marie Antoinette doll is also so pretty.

Lorrie

Lori said...

everything is beautiful here....hope you don't mind if i stay awhile :)

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

Hi Carol,
What a gorgeous dress form you have created, & I love your Marie and altered Kellogs box too, they are so beautiful!

Please visit my blog...I have an award for you.

Smiles,
Carol Anne

juNKstyLEdiVA said...

Rose is lovely! I really enjoy your garden photos. How do you keep up with everything? Secretary, mom, gardener, artist, etc? I am amazed! I was born in Munich (airforce brat) but grew up in US, now live in Calif. Enjoy your week! Inge

Luna said...

Miss Rose Potter looks lovely!
Hihi, die Idee ist ja echt süß. Ja auch Christian hätte wahrscheinlich gefragt:" Wo soll das olle Ding denn noch stehen?" Ja leider hat er Recht, aber ich hätte natürlich auch gerne eine.
Deine Fotos sind wieder toll! Deine Marie Antoinette ist perfekt in Scene gesetzt mit dem Silbergeschirr und dem Leuchter. Hübsche Idee!

Liebe Grüße
Stefanie

countrygirl3031 said...

I absolutely love your Wallpaper Wallbox...it's beautiful.

And your studio is amazing...you do very good work!

Take care and hugz,
Michele

Heidi (http://journals.aol.com/hwoodred/everyday-cookies/) said...

You dress form is so sweet, and your photographs of the form are gorgeous! Cheers from Heidi in Oregon!!!

*Heidi*

One Crabapple said...

WOW

where to start ?

Everything is so GORGEOUS my head is spinning.

First I will tell you again how in love with your Marie Antionette Doll Form I am ! You really gave her The Royal Treatment and She Is A Beauty !

I love that you named your dress form together and it turns out to be Miss Rose Potter. Now I want one too ! If I ever do find one , it will be hard to not think of her too as MRP !

Now about that GENIUS box you have made. I love that you used the cereal box and made it soo beautiful and useful . I always look at the box before I throw it out and think....oh too bad.

NOW I AM GOING TO TRY TO MAKE ONE TOO!

It won't be as pretty as Yours.
I do not have The Carola Touch.

But I want to try.

xo-S.

...med tiden som hjälp-Linda said...

What a nice blog you've got! Your pictures are WONDERFUL.....!!!!!!!!!!
//Linda

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

I hope you're having a joyous summer, Carol! Your mannequin is lovely, and your Marie Antoinette creation is fabulous! (And as always, your roses are so scrumptious!) HUGS!

rochambeau said...

Hi Carole,
Your dressmakers mannequin is Fabulous! She looks ready for the Mad hatter's Tea celebration (best dressed for sure)!

All things you create have a magical touch!
Thanks for your comment. Coming from you it meant a lot!

xo
Contance

barbaras countryhome said...

Hallo Carola, hätte Dich fast vergessen. Hast Du die "Kleidchen" fertig? Bin schon gespannt, wie sie geworden sind.
Liebe Grüße Barbara

mendytexas said...

It's taking me forever to keep going back and absorbing all the "gorgeousness!" WOW! What incredible photos you have this week! :)mendy

Paul Sears Photography said...

great stuff - love the vintage color pallette & tones. You present your work really well too.

Lis said...

Ist ja wirklich irre was du so alles fabrizierst! An dir ist wirklich eine Dekorateurin verloren gegangen.

LG Lis

Ewa said...

Rose is very sweet, and also your studio looks very romantic and enticing :)
I have a question to you, cos I would like to subsribe to the feeds of your blog to read it more frequently. It looks like there is no feed available for subscription. Could you please open the short version - it will feed just first 255 characters - that is enough to be alerted you posted something new :)
Thanks,
Ewa

Ewa said...

Dear Carol, thank you for your answer on my blog :) I just added your blog to my blogroll.
I hope you will find solution for the feed.
Greetings/Ewa

Ewa said...

Dear Carol,
This great that you found a solution - thank you :)
I just subscribed.
Ewa

Lis said...

Danke für den Link Carola, jetzt sehe ich immer sofort wenn du was Neues gepostet hast und mir geht auch nichts mehr durch die Lappen! :-))

LG Lis

Naturegirl said...

Carola your Rose Potter looks so charming in your creative space!
Your photos are as exciting and filled with so much charm as is your garden space!

Wren Cottage said...

I remember that post Carola!! I think it was one of the first ones I read here at Boxwood Cottage and thought oh my! what loveliness... But look at Rose Potter now!! She is quite the beauty!! I adore the way you have dressed her up!! Makes me want to have one of my own to play with! :) She really is lovely... swoooonn... I also adore your Marie A. form that you created... you have so many wonderful inspiring things you are always working...your creative well never dries... thank you for sharing your talents!!
Huge hugs sweet friend ~*~*~***** ~ Madai

Donna O. said...

I'm pretty sure I could move right in!! yep, very sure- gorgeous, Carol!!
D.

Kali said...

Hello Dear Carola ~ I've popped in to see you and say hello :)
Beautiful here as always...the garden an oasis, your creations amazing!
It sounds like you are really enjoying your Summer.
Take care. Hugs, Kali xox

Merci-Notes said...

Carol!
Every single photo is gorgeous! Even the styrofoam form... it evokes so many possibilities!
Your Dad has done such a wonderful job on Rose's neck that it looks as if she never was without it!
I like how you have named her, Rose Potter, and fixed her attire for this special occasion!! hehehe
Hugs,
Mary

Tracie~MPMaison said...

I am so happy I dropped in to Wren Cottage tonight and found Madai sharing her delights from you.

Rose Potter is gorgeous and I so love your creativity. I am making myself a note to come back tomorrow night (Girl's Night here) and browse your blog. Just lovely here, thank you for sharing the styrofoam dress form, you did a fantastic job with Marie.
~Tracie

Carol said...

Thank you so much dear blogging friends and readers for all your lovely comments which are very much appreciated by Miss Rose Potter and me! :)
Carola xox

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails