Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Saturday, July 28, 2012

A giant Cottage Garden post April to July 2012


High time for a garden post I'd say! It's my first one this year so I have lot's of pictures to share with you dear blogging friends and readers, so you better make yourself comfortable. The first photo is an up to date one taken a few days ago but I want to start back in April when the garden really awoke and then going forward until today.


April still had many overcast days and yet I like the photo above. You can see the early clematis montana rubens in full bloom and the high old lilacs of my neighbors blooming in the back as wll as the pretty broom beside of my white scrolly iron table.


I love it when the soft pink clematis montana rubens blooms especially on a sunny day against the blue sky.


And I bought another early Clematis this Spring, it's the gorgeous white one in the photo below . It has meanwhile found a new home at my new fence, but more on that later.


Another favorite Spring flower of mine whas this beautiful soft creamy pink ranunculus:


I also started potting summer flowers for my patio in April like the pink Diascia below:


and hanging baskets always are a must:


I further finally found an affordable french bottle drying rack from a Dutch blog and online shop called Fort Lapin. I use it as clay pot holder in my garden for now:


More garden accessories are in my vintage garden tool corner:


that I installed between the old ladder and the iron shelf on the patio wall next to my deck chair:


The deck chair is my favorite relax and reading spot after work. On the white painted flower shelf I potted 3 gorgeous thymes. The high blooming one is my fave:


Another plant that moved into my garden this Spring is the red broom seen below, which also meanwhile has moved in the new garden bed under the new fence:


And here you'll see my little garden helper Riley sitting on his favorite garden chair, photo taken through the parlor window:


A little bit closer:


Now comes the merry month of May in which I had 3 weeks off work and 24 free days in a row alltogether, so no wonder that is was my favorite month of the year so far. To celebrate my vacation and the beautiful weather I hung the fabric bunting which my dear friend Anita made for me a couple of years ago under my white garden umbrella/parasol. See how it is lit by the evening sun and kinda glowing?


It also looks very happy when you look from inside my parlor outside on the patio:


And notice the gorgeous clematis montana rubens still blooming beautifully in May:


Another May beauty and absolute favorite of mine is the elegant chinese snow ball shrub:


and of course and always the Alliums:


In the next photo the lovely May evening sun has lit my garden chandelier:


and then it also shone on my snowballs and gave them a gorgeous glow too:


It was a true magical evening and when it got darker during the so called blue hour of the everning my solar light lampions began to glow:


and everything was literally bathing in a pretty blue light.


I really love all these solar lights from Ikea attached to my grape vines, the little balls as well as the birdies:


Don't they look pretty?


Then came June and with June not only the beautiful roses but also the rain:


In June all my alliums and roses and foxgloves and bellflowers etc. were on it's best but exposed to the constant rain not for as long as they should have bloomed.


I had all colors of foxgloves this June and especially loved the white one. Hope it will selfseed well!


The pink peonie Sarah Bernhardt in the photo above did not like the rain either.


And neither did the pink bellflower Campanula medium.



I left the parasols open to protect at least some of my patio plants like the pelargoniums on the table from the rain.


More pretties in pink above and below:


The rain is dripping from my lovely Constance Spry rose on the scrolly white rose arc, forcing the flowers to hang their heads down:


There were not many dry days in June, especially not at the weekends, but on one of these rare days I took the next picture of my beautiful Constance Spry:


This wet beauty is called the Queen of Denmark:


and the next one is another long time favorite of mine the Eden rose:


Here is a picture from the right side of my garden in a wide angle, so that you cannot only see Constance Spry heavy of rainwater more hanging then climbing in my white rose arc, but also my my new fence on the right. Unfortunately the willow fence I had there before did not hold together anymore so I had to look for a more sturdy compensatory:


Also in June I purchased the pretty wooden seed trays and a new wooden round clay pot cleaning brush which were nice additions to my garden tool corner:


And now we are finally here, welcome to July!


I do not only have a new garden fence, but also a new garden border below it and both, the new and the old border got a new edge for easier mowing and I think the red edging stones do look very good and they also match with the red brick stones on my patio/deck/terrace however you call it lol.Wait, I'll give you a better look from above:


See my new mow edge border around the border under the right side rose arc and now also around the new garden bed under the new wooden fence? On the left side of my small garden the bordes have a natural edge from boxwood hedges. I really think that both edges are giving my garden a better structure.


The birds eye view above taken out of my attic studio window shows very good how well the new red border edge stones do match with my patio bricks. 
If you have followed my blog for some years and are an observant reader you may also notice the new parasol over my patio table. The old one got so dirty over the years that I had to have a surrogate. But I didn't just throw the old one in the trash, no I gave it a new job to protect my black french iron table under the maple tree from bird's dirt and droppings:


This is the shady space right at the very end of my yard where I sit on hot summer days when the air is just getting to stuffy on my patio. I still love the white gravel here but it is also a curse because you can't just clean it with a broom stick, nope i have to bend down and pick up every single leaf falling from the tree by hand.


And for those of you who a fairly new to my blog and still didn't get while it's called Boxwood Cottage I took these pictures of my freshly cut boxwood hedges above and below:


I also took gravel on the ground here a few years ago when we installed my rusty rose arc and I'm still trying to grow another, smaller ball on top of the the big boxwood ball on the left in the back.

Next you'll see a close up of my left hand border behind the boxwood hedges and see the rusty rose arc from the side. I still had no luck with roses climbing high enough to cover it yet but at least the blue clematis is doing it's job now.


Phloxes and pink cone flowers Echinacea and Agapanthus have started to bloom now in this border and below is a picture of my sweet scenting sweet peas which are growing in a pot on my patio right now:


We just enjoyed a full week of really sunny summer weather over here (it's back to rainy days today though sobs) so all the flowers are doing well now:


Abraham Darby an English David Austin rose blooming in the foreground and my garden window in the back and here more close and personal with my sweet terracotta girl peeking through it:


Another star on my July patio so far is the true white Dahlia that I planted in a white enamel bucket. It kinda glows in the dark:


Oh and takling about stars on my patio I'm now finally coming to the very best to me and that is my new pair of old blue shutters salvaged for me by my darling sister while I was at home and couldn't make it there quick enough when my parents called me to come over to save me a pair of shutters because my daughter was away with my car. They are from an old cottage across my parents home which unfortunaly got teared down a few weeks ago.


I just love their color and they match so beautifully with all my patio pot flowers don't ya think?


On the right side of my patio are more blue flowers in bloom like bellflowers, Verbena bonariensis, Allium Christophii, blue hydrangea, Delphinium and more:


And now I'll finish this long post with one last shot of my favorite Summer flowers (annuals) and my old blue shutters in the back, then I'll let you go ;-)


Thank you my dear readers, who made it all to the end of this very long post, for staying with me through 54 photos which was my longest post up-to-date, but I really had to make up for not posting any garden pictures earlier this season. I hope you enjoyed this post and liked what you saw and will perhaps even gain some inspiration from it. 

So now you please tell me what's new in your gardens?

Here is wishing you all a fabulous high Summer time!

xoxo~ Carola

31 comments:

Anita said...

Wonderfull pictures of your garden, Carola! I so much enjoyed looking at all the flowers and other details! Oh my, you found a pot drying rack? How great, you did not tell me about it!!! I would love to have one in my garden too but the ones I found cost a forturne!

Your clematis are doing much better than mine, lucky you! And your potted flowers look amazing!

Little Riley is so sweet on that chair!

I am especially happy to see that you still use the fabric bunting I made for you some years ago and I discovered one of my potttery balls on your patio, too! ;-)

Have a great week-end! Ours is still quite sunny around here, no more rain so far!

Hugs
Anita

Natacha said...

Oh my Carola, your garden is so, so beautiful. I love every photo! How much time do you spend gardening?
There are lots of "brocante" shops in the Netherlands.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Natacha

Bluebells and Lavender said...

Carola, I'm a fairly new follower to Boxwood Cottage, I cannot tell you enough how much your beautiful garden has inspired me today. Every inch of your garden has been lovingly planted and cared for over so many years, and I just love your patio where the solar lanterns and the solar birds hang among your pots and ladders! Beautiful! Just the kind of garden I would love to have! Have a lovely day! Sharon :)

Mary Ellen said...

Carola the garden is just gorgeous this year! You have such a way with the making outdoor rooms and dividing up your space so neatly! I am trying to figure out how to do this with my yard but frankly am at a loss!

It has been so hot here in Colorado that the gardens are not worth showing right now. Hope it will perk up when/if cooler weather comes!

stadtgarten said...

Liebe Carola, ich bin immer wieder total begeistert von Deinem schönen Garten und Deinen liebevollen Dekorationen.
Ich wünsche dir weiterhin schöne Sommertage, liebe Grüße, Monika

Michelle said...

I am in love with your garden! Such eye candy everywhere!

Justysia said...

Your garden is stunning and the colors and beauty of your flowers are just breathtaking... Beautiful pics! Greetings from sunny and hot Poland:)

June said...

Oh I have been waiting for this post Carola! Every photo was a delight to see. Your garden is so beautiful and I enjoy every time you post about it.
I feel so inspired now!
hugs from here...

Diane said...

Inspiration!!! Oh, yes! I go through the pictures and look at each detail. The picture concentrating on the boxwood hedge are just magical. Tomorrow I have new inspiration for my flower garden. Thank you for sharing. Diane

oldgreymare said...

Hello girlfriend! WOW! What else can I say but Wow? I went down pic by pic and then scrolled back up and then went back down again. You have created such a magical world for yourself and your darling daughter. Every bit of your devotion and love to your home and garden is evident at each turn.
Your are truly a master of your domain.

xx
z

Ruth said...

I'm so inspired by your lovely garden. It's winter here so I'm filing away ideas for my summer garden. I think I need more roses! I also want a patio like yours, it's just beautiful. Thanks for the lovely tour, I'm already looking forward to your next garden post!

cambric cotton said...

Hello, from Melbourne, Australia. I love your garden, so pretty, we are still in winter where it is cold and wet, we also have a lot of frost. I am looking forward to some sunshine and I'm already planning the new work I will do to my garden in the spring. Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden.

Marksgran said...

Hello Carola, I only just found your blog (can't remember how though!) I wanted to say your garden is stunning. I'm very impressed with it. I love my garden too and spend as much time as possible in it. Unfortunately because I live in Scotland, we don't get much sunshine so it's hard to leave much out in the way of decoration in our gardens but I have been inspired by your garden and I intend to 'steal' a few of your ideas - I hope you don't mind! Best Wishes, Martine

Alexandra Eitel said...

Ich glaube ich brauch noch ein paar Rosen !!! Ich habe da ein paar entdeckt die mir noch fehlen und die einfach wunderschön aussehen.
Das blüht ja gigantisch schön bei dir Carola!
Schönen Sonntag
liebe Grüße

P.S ich habe 2 Wochen geputzt und aufgeräumt ;)

Ann at the Handley Bungalow said...

Hello from Chicago, although I'm actually at my cottage in Wisconsin while writing you! Your garden is so beautiful! Every picture was delightful to look at and so inspiring! Have a wonderful rest of your summer!

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Oh dear Carola, I wish I'd be a bee or a vintage garden tool, so that I could move into your garden, sigh. It's such a delightful and charming place with lots of fantastic flowers, lovely vignettes and sweet details. Ranunculus is one of my favorite flowers and yours has indeed the loveliest shade of creamy pink. I have to admit that I got a little bit green with envy, seeing that fabulous bottle drying rack. Great find!!!
Sweet Riley is certainly a charmer!
Have a great day, dear friend!
Sending big hugs to you,
Julia

lynn said...

i adore your gorgeous garden, carola! LOVE your cute tool area esp., oh, and the lace valance! your helper is a cutie pie, too!

Ti said...

Was für wunderschöne Bilder und ein riesiger Kompliment an deinen hübschen Header :)

Evi said...

the garden is just beautiful! I think the flowerbed edging is the perfect color with the patio. I cannot believe how many varieties of flowers are in your garden. Love, love the roses and the new fence. Have never seen anything that pretty.
And Riley made the whole garden extra special.
Thank you for the wonderful tour!
Hugs, Evi

Laurel Stephens said...

Your garden is simply breathtaking, and I am in awe. Every one of your photographs is a beautiful gift to your readers. Thank you!

Louise (Elsie May and Bertha) said...

You have a beautiful garden and I'm a little bit jealous of your verandah, I'd love one myself. My garden has been left to it's own devices so far this year, apart from a tray of bushy lobelia. With all the rain we've been having everything is growing madly. Though like you, roses don't last long in the rain. I really must get out there and dead head. :-)

Ivy and Elephants said...

Hello Dear Carola!
What a feast for the eyes you have given us! The photos themselves are enough to transport us right into your garden they are so vivid! Each more stunning than the last, but the view from your attic.....breath taking! I would never get anything done for gazing there all day. Just beautiful! Please link it to WIW.
Big hugs,
Patti

bobbie said...

Your garden is absolutely spectacular ~ thanks so much for sharing it!!

**CREATIVE CARMELINA** said...

Wow...what a stunning tour and all of those luscious flowers! you must have fun picking and arranging bouquets for your home!


gorgeous.
ciao bella
creative carmelina

Judy Bigg said...

Fabulous pictures of your garden. Every image is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Kitchen Aprons said...

Nice outfit!Beautiful plants:)

einfallsReich said...

ein paradies!!! es ist hochgradig inspirierend bei dir ... alles wunderschön inszeniert ... hach, und so viele dinge, von ich träume sie auch zu haben ;-)
herzlichst amy

Carole said...

Yes WOW WOW WOW you are just as good with your garden as you are inside. You need to have your own magazine!!!!


hugs
Carole

PRINCESSGREENEYE said...

wow - ein Garten wie ein Paradies!

Raw Garden said...

This garden is brilliant! Do you get chance to sit outside very often? Thanks, Sam @ Raw Garden

Kristina said...

I saw your post in the shutter section of Funky Junk Interiors. I love, love, love your garden. You must spend a lot of time there and spend a lot of time planning. It just is so lovely. Someday I hope I have a garden that beautiful to enjoy!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails