Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas 2012 and the upcoming new year!



Welcome back to Boxwood Cottage at Christmas dear blogging friends and readers! I hope you all had a peaceful Christmas time and could or even better still can enjoy some quality time with friends and family before all the hustle and bustle of the new year begins.


I'm quite excited about the new year and can feel a lot of changes coming, hopefully for the better, but you can never now it exactly which is making me a bit restless these days. With the bad economy here in Europe I have reason to fear for my job of 27 years and on the other hand my daughter is going to finish her studies and ready to begin something new too. Please wish us luck!
A new period in life will start for me anyway because at the end of next month I'm going to be half a century young *EEK*!


Well let's change the subject to something lighter and brighter shall we? I played around a lot with silver in my home during the last few weeks. I had fun glittering lot's of items like the wooden fir trees right and left on top of the mantle with real stuff: German silver glass glitter.


And I glittered stars which I cut out of cardboard to hang in the tree and make it shine:


For the first time ever I have not a green but a silver fir tree with it's blueish needles. I was thinking to put string lights in it this year but then it just didn't feel right and I used real candles again like I always did.


For a change of things I didn't put the tree in a tree stand this year, but in my pleaded white zinc barrel, which I got as a gift for my last birthday:


See the blueish white and silver glow of the tree?


Gotta show you some more close ups of my vintage glass baubles and ornaments which I collected over the last 25 years from flea and antique markets. I used a lot of them already to decorate the french zinc bottle holder which I showed you in my last post, but still had enough for the Christmas tree.


I didn't feel like putting out the colored ornaments this year (or for the last 5 years or so lol) only the white and silver ornaments did strike my fancy again.


And it looks like the same applies for my gift wrapping, I used only neutral colors of paper and lot's of silver glittered stars and ornaments to embellish the parcels:


If you would have had the choice, which gift would you have chosen?


We also had yummy vegan treats for Christmas this year like the absolutely delicious Christmas cake in the photo above or the Christmas cookies in the picture below and no poor creature had to suffer for out Christmas meals either.


We didn't see much of the sun over Christmas, because it was mostly cloudy and rainy here and unusual warm, but I catched the low standing winter sun in the next photo shining on to my Christmas decorations, doesn't it look beautiful?


Well we had our share of snow for all three Advent weekends before though and I built some kind of Christmas tree with the old white wooden growth support on my deck:


And with this Winter picture my friends I want to thank you all for your faith and for still coming to see me here at Boxwood Cottage in the over 7 years that I blog now and I hope that you'll continue do do so!

Wishing you all the very best for an auspicious new year 2013!

xoxo~ Carola

Sharing this post with:

20 comments:

Ivy and Elephants said...

Hi Carola, I am loving all your gorgeous touches of vintage and handmade items. It seems joy is everywhere that the eye lands.
So lovely that you continue to use the candles, your tree is just beautiful.
Wishing you health, happiness and tons of blessing throughout the new year!
Hugs,
Patti

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

As always, the cottage looks beautiful!

Nook and Cranny said...

Everything is so lovely. I love how the stars are hanging down from the mantel.
Thanks for sharing your holiday home.
Michele

Cindy said...

Everything looks so pretty! I'm glad to hear you had a good Christmas and I hope everything goes well for you and your daughter in the new year.
PS - Being 50 isn't so bad I am going to be 58 and still feel like I'm in my 20's! LOL!

Diane said...

I never miss your blog and always look forward to a new post and refer back to them. It's very inspiring and pretty always. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas also and that the New Year WILL be wonderful for both you and your daughter. Blessings, Diane

Zuzu said...

Everything is so beautiful, Carola! Your tree looks like the ones we have here that are called Colorado Blue Spruce trees. I have already been thinking of NEXT year's Christmas decorations, and think German glass glitter stars would be perfect! Yours are wonderful!!! :)
Wishing you and yours a very Happy 2013!
Hugs,
Zuzu

oldgreymare said...

The cottage is overflowing with your holiday magic. May the New Year bring you much joy, love and peace.
<3 <3 <3

Mary Palumbo Collings said...

Everything looks absolutely gorgeous... Wishing you , your daughter , and your entire family very good luck in the New Year...

Brenda said...

Your Christmas home is beautiful! Came over from Debra's Common Ground Vintage party and am going to check out some of your previous posts. I could use some of your inspiration!
Lovely!

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Hallo liebe Carola, ich wollte schon zu Deinem letzten post kommentieren, aber dann war mal wieder der Strom weg und später habe ich es leider vergessen. Deine Weihnachtsdeko ist, wie in jedem Jahr, ganz hinreißend. Die neuen Glasglitter-Bäumchen sehen toll aus und Deine Federbäumchen liebe ich ja auch sehr. Überhaupt ist es wieder sehr gemütlich bei Dir und ich würde am liebsten auf Dein Sofa plumpsen und von dem leckeren Kuchen und den Keksen probieren, seufz.
So, so, Du wirst also demnächst so steinalt wie kaum jemand vor Dir, hihihi. Naja, bei mir dauert es auch nicht mehr so lange.
Es tut mir sehr leid, dass Du um Deinen Job fürchtest. Ich drücke Dir ganz fest die Daumen, dass Eure Firma die Krise übersteht.
Ich melde mich sicher demnächst noch per e-mail. Bis dahin, ganz viele liebe Grüße und hugs,
Julia

Dewena Callis said...

I love these pictures, would like to examine each with a magnifying glass to see all the different things you have put together so beautifully. Lovely blog!

June said...

I will always come to your beautiful blog dear Carola. I am so inspired when I see your beautiful home! Your Christmas home sparkles so perfectly. I love every touch you put into it my friend!
Of course I would pick the present with the brown wrap : ) Your tree is so amazing again this year! I love that you put it in your bucket!
Everything glows beautifully in your lovely home!
I hope your new year is filled to the brim with joy and blessings and good luck to you and your daughter in your new endeavors.
hugs from here...

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

I love your tree. My grandpa used to talk about Christmas trees in "the old country" and how they had candles.
If I could pick a present I would pick the brown square one with the star....presentation is everything!!
Happy New Year!

Creative Wings Boutique said...

Hi Carola,
Everything is lovely and perfect...when my littles are grown i will be able to use all the vintage ornies I have been collecting over the last two years...hugs
tabitha

victoriantailor said...

Love the way you decorate, those vintage ornaments are so beautiful!
Happy Birthday!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Spectacular! What a gift you have. And yes, Good luck in the New Year! Congratulations on your big milestone!

Mom E. said...

It is all so beautiful! I love your live tree. It has been a few years since we used a live tree for Christmas, and I miss that lovely pine scent from the tree. I do use ine scented oils and candles, but it is not quite the same.
And your candles are beautiful. I alwyas wanted to do that, but I was afraid my small children might get burned. They are older now...I may try it next year! I love your cookies, they are gorgeous! and all your blingy ornaments...So wondrous!
Hearts to you!
Betsy

Mom E. said...

PS I love Germany! My daughter and her family live in the Frankfurt area.
Betsy

BECKY said...

Just so gorgeous Carola! You sure have a way of creating beauty in your surroundings!! Thanks so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Becky

Kathy Schwartzbauer said...

You don't know me, Carola, but I am from St. Paul, MN and have treasured every post you have ever written from day 1. My fav is those houses with the cupids WOW and the newest post with the red candy box and the silver arrow through it. I am in love with your stuff, esp. those little lambs you bring out at Christmas, and I can hardly wait for the garden this year, to see how your plants have grown, and if your old chair will make it another year. You are fantastic. Thanks for brightening up so many days for me.
XXXXXXXXX Kathy from St. Paul

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails