Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

White Advent Sunday ~ Holiday Home Tour


Welcome back to Boxwood Cottage all decked out for Christmas dear blogging friends and readers on a blisfull white Wednesday! Yes indeed this morning we woke up to fresh fallen snow again.


Dear Tina from the Tiny Bear blog in Denmark told me in the comments under my last post that she missed seeing my white feather tree. I think she was referring to this champagne colored tree which I hadn't yet put out in November, but of course in time for the first of Advent Sundays I had to take it out and I decorated it with all my white cotton batting ornaments, old and new ones this year, The clipped on cotton batting snowmen I made last year and still love them:


Zinc letter stencils are hanging in front of the white mirror. The higher one spells "Frohe Weihnachten" meaning Happy Christmas of course. And I love putting old Christmas cards whereever I find a space at this time of the year, like this sweet girl on her sleigh with a wrapped present in her hand:


I also took out my old champagne colored honeycomb paper bell an etsy find from a few years ago and some honeycomb paper balls that I bought last Summer:


The tiny white shelf is also decked out for the holidays:



Just in time for the first Advent we woke up to this sight last Sunday morning:

 The zinc star wreath and black iron trumpet angel are both hanging outside in front of my parlor room window.


Yes indeed it snowed all morning, such a cosy feeling to stay warm inside the cottage and watch the fresh snow falling outside:




As soon as it got dark in the afternoon I lit all my candles like those on the mantle:


and inside the mantle where the fire should be anyways


Doesn't it look so cosy?


I love the starry lights and stars, one can never have enough stars and snowflakes around during the winter months me thinks. If you read my last post you might remember that my mantle was decorated with a Christmas Winter village but I also told you that I would change that again and put my collection of old silver glass tree toppers on top of the mantle instead. I used old apothecary bottles as tree topper holders.


If you'd like to see more details of my pictures, they are all quite big and you can always right click on the photo and then click on show graphic to see the original size.


Black and White X-MAS spelling mugs in my cupboard above and a huge black star in front of my transom window the room divider between dining room/parlor and kitchen (below):


I also made an Advent calendar this year for my very grown up daughter (24) and she still loves to open a paper bag every day. Since space is rare in my tiny cottage the Advent calendar can only hold 4 days at a time. It's just a plywood board which I painted with black chalkboard paint.


I saw a calendar like this on pinterest here: http://pinterest.com/pin/283515739011458449/  and was inspired to make my own version of it:


I like how you can see the white paper star which hangs on the black wall over my kitchen stove in the mirror (photo above).


Some closer looks of this wall with the mirror of lights and my old trumpets below the Advent calendar:



The brass trumpets do really shine in the candle light!


I think the photo above came out quite interesting, alsmost black and white looking.


I used a tripod to take all of these photos btw.. I tried without it before but all that came out of it were very blurry photos, but by using the tripod to hold the camera steady you can even see all the glitter of the Merry Christmas glass glitter sign which I hung onto the door again:


Of course you have to have Advent wreathes with 4 candles symbolizing every of the four Sundays before Christmas on Advent Sundays, well kind of wreathes anyway lol like the pudding mold I used in the photo below:


I made the number tags for these Vanilla scented candles (photo below) by punching out the shapes of sturdy cardboard which I painted black with my trusty chalkboard paint and then used white chalk to draw on the numbers on by hand:


I have so many candles that I totally forgot to light the first one of these duh me lol


On top of the glass box I put that cute little, very old ,German feather tree that I found at the antique market last season and I adorned it with the cute tiny old German glass Christmas ornaments which I also found last season. Into the gass box I put some of my clear glass baubles:


In the following photo you can see my attempt of making angel wings with wire and old tinsel garlands, which I must admit do look far more than butterfly wings. Gotta work on that shape again lol


And here is a wide view of my parlor in the cosy candle light:


I hung a paper garland on the vintage cupboard spelling C H R I S T M A S


I also took my Christmas pillows on the willow sofa again and hung pretty silver and aqua glass baubles from the chandelier above the seating area:


The old wooden church which I still had on top of my mantle last week now found a new place on top of the white wooden window sill:


Another wider view of what you see when you sit on my willow sofa:


My very favorite decoration this season is the french zinc bottle holder decorated with starry string lights and lots of old silver German glass baubles.


I think the next photo, a close up of the above, is my favorite of this whole Advent Sunday photo shoot:


I so love the old tiny glass wind intruments and the glass bells and of course the glass baubles with the light reflectors inside (photo above) all made over hundred years ago in Lauscha/Thuringia/Germany don't you?

I really hope to come back again with another Christmas post before Christmas but since there are only 19 days left and just incase that things will get crazy around here and I won't make it I'd like to wish to all my dear blogging friends and faithfull readers very


HAPPY HOLIDAYS 2012!

xoxo~ Carola

Sharing this post with:


26 comments:

victoriantailor said...

Just Stunning!!! very inspiring! you have a lot of talent!

Rebecca @ Belle Blog said...

Hi Carola!!

I always love your blog. It is always filled with the most wonderful and beautiful photos. Your house looks marvelous all ready for Christmas!

Rebecca♥

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Carola, What a gorgeous home for Christmas. Every detail is so cozy and warm with lots of inspiration. I have so enjoyed my visit and have to go back and revisit all again. I am your newest follower. Wishing you a wonderful day and special Christmas.
hugs, Celestina Marie

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh my goodness sweet Carola!!!!! Your home is absolutely MAGICAL! It looks like a beautiful wonderland dear friend...thank you so much for sharing so many photos, I need to go back and look at them all again to see it all! sending you hugs and love, Dawn

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh, Carola,
So fabulous, and so much to admire!
Every turn gives a yummy vignette to admire. My favorite is the glass box, I always spy to see what treasured you've displayed there! Beautiful, thanks so much for sharing with us.
Big hugs,
Patti

Cottage and Broome said...

Beautiful displays, I really love the heart card holder. Hope you are having a great holiday season, Laura

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Hello Carola! Everything is so gorgeous!!! Magical, cozy and charming are the best words to describe your lovely holiday home! I could just stare at these photos all day! If I were you, I'd never want to leave the house! And I always love seeing your garden covered in snow...it's just one of the loveliest sights ever!
Michelle xoxo

Rachel said...

Just amazing, everything looks so beautiful.

I love how cosy it looks in the candle light.

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

Yes Carola - that´s the tree. I love it. Wish me one too :-)
Your home is so pretty decorated as always.
LOVE the french bottle holder - it´s perfect.

Marianne Songbird said...

Beautiful! I posted your vintage french bottle holder on my facebook page, because I love it so!
Frohe Weihnachten!

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Carola, your home is always so beautiful, but at Christmas, it's truly magical!! thanks so much for joining in for Vintage Inspiration!

andrea@townandprairie said...

What a gorgeous blog! Visiting from Common Ground. I love your sweetly styled CHristmas decor! A new follower, Andrea B.

June said...

Oh I knew your home would be gorgeous again for the holidays! Every loving touch you put into makes me feel so inspired. I can tell how much you love home-caring Carola.
The zinc letter stencils are wonderful...and your new advent calendar is too!
I always study your photos so I don't miss a thing. Your garden also looks stunning with the snow.

I want to wish you a Happy Christmas my dear Carola.
sending hugs from here...

lynn said...

i really love how you gather and group your pretties, carola! happy holidays to you:)

erin said...

everything looks so festive and cozy! i just love all of the glow from the twinkle lights and the shots of your beautiful new fallen snow out side the window just make me yearn for some snow here in tennessee....you have a very pretty house.
erin
xxoo

Ann at the Handley Bungalow said...

Your home is my favorite. Magical and beautiful. Love to see your creativity!

Lisa said...

Carola,
Once again I sit fascinated & warmed by the beauty & coziness of your sweet cottage. I always look forward to your tours. I can't get enough pictures of your vignettes. I'm touched to see the tin box ornament I made for you hanging off a shelf. Merry Christmas dear friend.
Lisa

Chenille Cottage said...

Merry Christmas, Carola,
Your home is so lovely! I have enjoyed taking in every single sweet detail.
Blessings,
Carolynn

Jennifer Rizzo said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely holiday home with us!

Sheila Earhart said...

AMAZING! You're very talented.

Sheila

Cristina said...

Precioso sitio!
Con tu permiso me quedo para seguirte, te deseo una hermosas fiestas llenas de paz y armonía junto a tus seres más queridos!
Abrazos infinitos desde Uruguay!

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨★
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨**
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨*o*
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨*♥*o*
¨¨¨¨¨¨**o**♥*o*
¨¨¨¨¨**♥**o**o**
¨¨¨¨**o**♥***♥*o* “
¨¨¨*****♥*o**o****
¨¨**♥**o*****o**♥**
¨******o*****♥**o***
****o***♥**o***o***♥ *
¨¨¨¨¨____!_!____
¨¨¨¨¨\_________/¨¨¨@

http://perfumederosas-cristina.blogspot.com/

Zuzu said...

Magical. Every tiny detail.

A little secret. It is a dream of mine to have a home as artistic and beautiful as yours one day. I am working towards it - one little craft project at a time. :)

Thank you for all the beautiful inspiration that you share with us, Carola, and for your sweet visits to my little cottage in the woods.

Christmas hugs,
Zuzu

Evi said...

Oh Carola, it is simply beautiful!!!
I love all the lovingly put together details. Now that is Christmas!!!!!
Have never seen these wonderful little star lights. Very cute.
Carola, I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas and a happy and heatlthy 20213.
May all your wishes come true!
Hugs,
Evi

Maureen said...

As usual, your style just takes my breath away... love all the special touches you add to create such a beautiful space.

A Very Happy Holidays to you and yours Carola!

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Hi Carola!

Oh, how I just loved visiting your home. I stopped by the other day, but couldn't leave a comment, and when I stopped by today, I found myself looking at the photos all over again. I wish I could sit on your sofa and visit with you, it all looks so comfy and cozy. I find it neat that your pillow says "Merry Christmas" in English and not German...I couldn't help but wonder why? Just curious.

I also love your zinc wine bottle holder photo too. Very sparkly and festive. Your home would be a home I would wander around in for hours and just enjoy all the sights and just sit and enjoy all the wonderful beauty.

Thanks for sharing and for stopping by to visit. I always enjoy your visits. I hope someday I really can sit on your sofa and we can meet.

Big hugs and a great New Year to you
Elizabeth

Inspiration i vitt said...

Hello Carol, what stunning Christmas decorations you have, I am enjoying. Warm hugs to you / Ingela.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails