Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Monday, January 27, 2014

It's that time again ~ first Valentines and frosted garden


Yep it's January, almost February so it's time for creating hearts and other Valentines, but first of all welcome back to Boxwood Cottage dear readers and blogging friends!


My friend Julia and I agreed to do a friendship Valentine's day swap some time last year, so right after I had put the Christmas stuff away I pulled out all things Valentine and started creating


I was indulging in reds, pinks and silver mainly, because Valentine's day is not for neutral colors only for me, it's the one time in the year where I really love reds and pinks, so in that spirit I created this heart box for example:


But then I got an email from Julia telling me that she wishes for white Valentines only because she's not in the spirit for reds. Dang! So I had to restart and rethink all the things I created and wanted to make for her, but of course I'm always up for a challenge :)


And outside it's cold anyway since we are in Winter and the garden is supposed to be either frosted or covered under a blanket of snow, well that wasn't true at all here in Northern Germany until last week anyway. These frosted garden pictures I took back in November already on a magical sunny and frosty late autumn day:


I loved how everything looked covered in the blueish frost


and I really looked forward to many more of such beautiful Winter days, which until today never came again. We had a lot of stormy and rainy Winter days and many just boring grey sky dark Winter days but no more frost and no snow at all not even a tiny bit and that while you guys in the US have record breaking cold Winter days, even in the Southern States - here it was rather warm at least for Winter that is


My beautiful last blooming Eden rose frosted in November 2013


The garden view from my bedroom window:


And a closer shot of the back yard area with my new old white garden door that we installed last October. I love the frosted glass of the big red lantern:


Well that was pretty much how the garden looked all those weeks since October/November until January 20th, but Winter can't fool me in thinking that we'll have an early Spring, not here in Germany. I'm born at the end of January and on my birthday it's always cold and I knew the cold would come sooner or later and of course I was right. Since a couple of days it got colder and the frost is back, not as beautiful as in the November pictures above, but much colder this time and since 3 days we even have a bit of snow and tonight it has snowed again so today the garden is covered under a thick blanket of the white stuff. Winter has finally arrived here too now! Sorry no pictures of the snow yet, but I hope that I'll get around to take some later if it isn't going to melt before lol


Now I have to finish my friendship swap parcel for my dear friend Julia. Julia if you should read this, I'm almost finished, but had to mix black and silver into the whites, because without them it was just too boring, hope that's okay with you!


This is just some wall decor in my studio but I'll share the Valentines I made for Julia in my next post, when she got her parcel.
Until then I wish y'all a great start into the month of hearts!

Happy Winter days my friends!

10 comments:

Kati said...

Hei Carola, I love reading your blog, it´s so pretty. Your garden looks like a place from a fairytale and i´m glad that some one else is already crafting for valentines day. Although I have not posted my "red" harts yet.
Keep up the good work!
Lots of inspirational love,
Kati

A Bit of Colour said...

I enjoyed your delightful treasures on your table wondering what I would create with those????? Very lovely little box that you first made for your friend! I'm sure your garden is just as pretty with the snow coverage as it in the pictures that you are showing. Stay safe & warm!

LostRoses said...

Carol, you have the "best garden in winter" I've ever seen! Always so wonderful.

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Oje, ich wollte Dich ja nicht in die totale Verzweiflung stürzen, liebe Carola. Zumindest hast Du jetzt schon etwas Farbiges für Deine Valentinsdeko ;). Schwarz und silber sind prima!
Dein Garten sieht auch im Winter sehr schön aus. Wir hatten auch ein paar kalte Tage und können die schneebedeckten Berge sehen.
Ich melde mich morgen ... :).
Ganz liebe Grüße
Julia

lynn said...

oh, the pink frosted rose is so charming, carola! and your little box is too sweet!

Theresa said...

I too love your frosted rose. It's been so long since we had a pretty frost. My son is so disappointed - he was promised snow when we moved to Germany, even brought a new sled, and so far only a dusting or two. Still winter is far from over, although the bulbs have popped out of the ground, I hope they don't come to harm. Thanks for sharing your lovely garden.

Naturegirl said...

Carola! Happy belated New Year to you! No snow in your world!! I guess we have it all here in Canada...you must come see! As always your garden is magical...love the frosted rose..breathtaking! You are really into your creativity I see..how quickly our time flies..already it's Feb.!! hugs Anna

Maureen said...

Wonderful Valentine's crafts and beautiful garden Carola! I am glad I popped by; my blog list still has your Halloween post as the latest one... wonder why it is not updating? Well, I'll just have to remember to come by on my own; I never want to miss all your incredible creations! Hope you had a great birthday.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This post could not be written much better!
Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
He always kept talking about this. I most certainly will send this post to
him. Fairly certain he'll have a good read.
Thanks for sharing!

Have a look at my website domestic cleaners in Sunderland

Debbie Doughty said...

Hi Carola, I haven't visited for a l-o-n-g time. I saw your Valentine Box on Pinterest and followed the link. It's nice to see that you are still creating and your garden is a beautiful as ever!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails