Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring is here - inside and out!


Welcome Spring and welcome back to Boxwood Cottage dear blogging friends and readers! I woke up to a wonderful blue sky again today and the weather forecast has promised us sun all day and temps around 20°C which is around 70°F in the shadow. On my southward sunny and sheltered deck this is going to feel more than 80 as you can see on my thermometer here in a shot from a couple of days ago:


We have been very lucky here in Northern Germany this last Winter season with unusal mild weather and apart from a few days in January almost no snow. It feels as if parts of the US have kept the cold temps and winter storms and snows at bay, so that it couldn't come over here and I'm very thankful for this mild Winter. Many plants that otherwise would haven been frozen to death in Winter are still alive this Spring and nature is at least two to three weeks ahead of the season.


But before I share more deck and garden pictures with you I'd like to show you some photos of my early Spring decor around the mantle in the dining- and living room. I haven't brought the bunnies and eggs out yet, just wasn't in the mood this year with Easter being so late in April, but I'm finally going to start doing it today. In the photo below you can also see a new aqcuisition of mine, I finally did it and bought two white Tolix metal chairs. I wanted to have these for at least two years now, but always thought the originals too expensive for my budget, so I was very happy when I saw that Butlers a German furniture and decor store chain sold a remake of the original Tolix chairs and called them Streetlife. Still I was hesitating to buy them but when a month ago they sold them out for half of the original price I just had to hurry and get me at least two. They sold them all out in just a few days. Now aren't they pretty and go well with the rest of my dining area?


I think the pleaded white metal barrel, that I used upsidedown as a table in front of my mantle goes especially well with them and the huge white metal lantern I hung inside of the mantle too!


I'm really happy with the fresh springlike look right now :)


On top of the mantle I decorated some white snowdrops, white wooden birds and old apothecary bottles and white ceramic apothecary pots (a recent antique shop find) along with some gifts my dear friend Julia of the Vintage with laces blog had sent me in a friendship swap last month, like the sweet lace-heart sticks that I stuck in a sugar dredger which you can see better/closer in the first picture of this post and the gorgeous white heart bunting and lace heart I pinned at the mantle.


The pussy willow wreath along with the snowdrops are belonging to my early Spring decor which I will change again very soon.


I'm quite in love with my new old apothecary ceramic pots. You might not know that my first profession was a pharmacy assistent and I even learned at the vocational school how to write on these labels with stenciled lettering and I also learned there all the latin names of the plants used to make the medicines. So these bottles and vessels really do have a deeper meaning to me, reminding me at the old times in my life.


In the close up photo above you can see another of Julia's sweet lace heart sticks between the faux snowdrops in the silver cup, this one with a bling button in its center, aren't these just too cute? I love them all Julia!

Below is a photo of the constantly changing decor of my small side shelf between the mantle and the big cupboard:


But now let's go out into the garden again. The crocusses bloomed beautifully and very early this Spring and are almost done by now. I especially like this white variety with the soft purple stripes:


I already cut back the roses at the rusty rose arc below hoping that they'll soon grow back again with fresh sprouts of leaves:


As in every Spring I so love my blues! For others yellow like the sun might be the preferable color of Spring but for me it is blue like the sky :)


And violas ( mini pansies, "Johnny jump ups" or viola cornuta) are a must of course in all shades of purple and blue as you can see in the photos above and below.


And believe it or not but with the first warm Spring days the butterflies were already back in the garden and it is such a joy to see them fluttering around. The one below that is sittung on the blue primrose is called "Kleiner Fuchs" and if you rightclick onto the photo to see the big version of it, you can see that he has a whole in it's right wing and a very battered edge of the wing too so it must have one that has hibernated somewhere.


Of course I had to put Spring flowers like Paperwhites, Ranunculus, Primroses, Daisies and Grapehyacinths etc. in all the spare pots I could find and distribute them at the tables, shelves and pot holders around my deck and garden:


Even some pink tulips are already opening their pretty buds in the warm sun at the garden shelf:


The brimstone butterfly in the photo below that is just drinking from the pink primrose is a favorite guest in my spring garden:


It is such a good feeling to put out the cushions again in my deckchair and then sit there and just take it all in, the warm sun rays, the butterflies fluttering around, the scent of the flowers, the blue sky and the singing birds, ah yes my friends life can be so beautiful! :)


I'll leave you today with a closer shot of my new antique garden barrel (a Christmas gift from my parents last Christmas) that I finally brought out on the porch. It's called a Victorian dolly tub, used to do the laundry washing in victorian England and still before WW II. For now it serves me as a table for my french bottle holder drying rack which I use as a garden tool holder right now. As always I love the look of all the galvanized zinc items together, weather they are vintage or new:


So that is it from my Spring home and garden for today. I wish you all very happy Spring days my dear blogging friends and readers and I hope that you can enjoy it the way I do right now and especially for my US friends which for a big part had to suffer (and some even still have) under a long strong Winter this season. Spring will come to you soon as well just hang on and look forward to it!

Happy Spring days to y'all!

xoxo~ Carola

I'm going to share this post with the following parties:

Inpired Friday at Debra's Common Ground blog
Sundays at home at Alice's Thoughts from Alice blog
Blisfull Whites Wednesday at  Becky's  Timewashed blog
What's it Wednesday at Paula's and Pattie's Ivy and the Elephants blog
Funky Junk Party at Donna's Funky Junk Interiors blog 

9 comments:

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Hello dearest Carola, You've decorated your home so beautifully and I'm happy to see several of my hearts being part of your spring decor. The new chairs are pretty. I love the industrial touch. The barrel makes a great table and I also adore the little triangular side table. Your apothecary pots and bottles are wonderful and very decorative.
Yes, spring has arrived in your garden as well. All the flowers are beautiful. No wonder that so many butterflies are visiting. I'm drooling over all your galvanized and rusty garden elements.
Happy spring to you, sweetie!
Big hugs,
Julia

Lisa said...

I so adore coming and seeing how you decorate yourt cottage for the different seasons. Let me try to remember all the things I wanted to comment about, first off Julia's heart sticks so adorable and so original she always comes up with the best stuff! The metal chairs you have in your dining room now... that's so funny I have the American version of those which I also bought at a furniture store on sale. I bought them for old house and they looked really good in our kitchen but our new house didn't have room for them so they're on my patio now. hopefully the weather won't beat them up too bad. The barrel your parents gave you and the one by the mantle are so beautiful you never see one like that around here. Not for under $800 I mean:) And lastly we beautiful garden beautiful plants I'm so jealous in Texas it seems all we can grow are cactus! Where in our new house now though which has lots of lovely hedges and Ivy climbing everywhere I'm going to do some pots, maybe I'll have better luck with those this year. Lisa

Maureen said...

I am just in awe of your garden and interior decor... so very beautiful! We are still under about six feet of snow; and with temps still at -24C, it is going to be awhile before flowers are blooming over here in central Canada! So your beautiful photos are a delight to see. Happy Spring to you as well Carola!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Beautiful garden. I love your garden.

Alice Wingerden said...

I always love seeing your vignettes and decor. The spring blooms look lovely! Thanks for sharing at Sundays at Home!

Alice Wingerden said...

Featured you this week at Sundays at Home Carola!

Blondie's Journal said...

My goodness...I just found your blog from seeing you featured at Alice's. I am mesmerized by the pictures of your garden. The only thing we having in common is our enthusiasm because my gardens do not look half as pretty as yours! Ha! I enjoyed seeing all of your garden "goodies" and the pretty butterflies. The peek in your home was wonderful, too! I can't wait to come back to see more. Happy Spring! :)

XO,
Jane

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

The Rustic Victorian said...

Another wonderful post Carola, I too am enjoying spring again. We are in the southern USA, so it has been a decent winter. I do feel for those up north.
It is a lot of work/pleasure for you in your garden and it shows up so happily.
Joy in your day!
Marcie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails