Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Monday, April 07, 2008

Soldered paper weights and Show and Tell Sunday

Hi everyone and welcome to a non-garden post but with flowers all the same lol

Cerri of Little pink studio and Analise of SugarSugar have kindly send me (amongst lots of other talented flickr friends) an invite to their brand new "Show and Tell Sunday".
As so often these days I'm a bit late seeing that it's Monday already but I took some pictures of my few paper and fabric flowers yesterday so now I'd like to show them anyway, but first some other news:


A few of you may have already seen what I'm working on at the moment because I posted some pictures on flickr. I always wanted to make paper weights ("Briefbeschwerer" for my German readers) but I never found the glasses I need for it, so I came up with my own idea as you can see in the following pictures (click to enlarge for full size):

At first I had a much bigger bowl (which you can see in my pics on flickr), but than I told my friend Frauke about it and she found these small bowls for me which I think are just the perfect size! They remind me of snow globes. Part of the scrabble tiles, charms etc. inside the globes are glued on the ground and other little things like the light blue and light pink bells are loose, so that you can shake it or turn it around and the bells ring and it looks a bit different everytime you put it back down. Fun!


I love making these and I'm so happy with the way the turned out!


This is my latest one which is still in progress, it needs to get soldered next:




I have plans to make more and different ones so that I can put some on Etsy, but while I still have my office job to do full time I dunno how long this will take me.
Okay change of subject and on to Cerri's Millinery Show and Tell !
Please hop over to her blog http://www.littlepinkstudio.typepad.com/ if you'd like to see her's and all the other participants wonderful millinery collections and to read about the Show and Tell Sunday rules.
Well unfortunately I find it very hard to get hold of true vintage millinery here in Germany, even at flea markets I had no luck so far. Bohoo :( All the millinery I own is from swaps with other sweet blogging friends, like Nicole, Natalea, Andrea and some is from Lilia's etsy shop. The only millinery I could find here so far is new.

I decorated my vintage chapeau clac with some borders and millinery and a little paper doll from Lauren and think it looks quite nice there in my supply shelf.

As always you can click all my photos to enlarge them by simply clicking on the photo and see all the more details and some even in their original size by clicking again on the orange button which appears if you move your mouse over the left lower corner of the photo! Try it with photo above!

The acrylic glass heart is one of my latest finds, will have to think how I'm going to use it:


Sweet posies:



Some roses and velvet leaves in a deck of cards box:



Oh and I bought this beautiful bag from Niki (Nostalgia at the Stonehouse) in 2006 I think it was and it has a big and gorgeous cream colored millinery flower sewed on:


That's it for today and it would make me very happy if you'd leave me some feedback. It got so quiet in here since my 2 month break in January and February. I'm trying my best to post more regularly again and hope that you still like what I have to share.
Have a fabulous week!
Hugs
Carol(a) xox

30 comments:

Little Pink Studio said...

Oh Carol! I adore that hat and they way you have decorated it!! I would love to be able to find one to alter myself! I also looove the little baby you have sitting on top of a jar w/a bird inside. That would make me smile every time I looked at it! :0)
Your paper weights are quite brilliant as well, you have done a beautiful job! Thank you for sharing!
~Cerri xo

Sandra Evertson said...

Your paper weights are Fabulous!
Sandra Evertson

mary k said...

Love your cool hat and all the beautiful flowers. Your glass paper weights are very clever. I am so glad you are finding time to post on your beautiful blog again. I'm no sure if I love your art or your garden more. Both are so inspiring!

mendytexas said...

Oh my gosh...your newest creations are just amazing!!! The glass weights are fabulous!!

leesiebella said...

Hi Carol~

Oh, I just adore your pretty photos! I love your shelf with all your millinery together! so pretty!

Thanks so much for sharing!!

xoxo
Analise

LiLi M. said...

Those paperweight are really something else AND gorgeous. Of course I couldn't restrict myself and went straight to flickr. I love what I see..yes, but I also laughed because we have such similar tasts and I guess we will give each other some things more or less exactly the same, but isn't it fun!! I try to make some pictures too, but I'm so terribly busy at this moment. I love working on this swap though, and I can see already you can use some of my stuff...Have a nice week!!

Scrappy Jessi said...

Hi sweet carola!
i tried leaving a comment the other day, and there was no comment box. anywho, im glad there is now!
what a beautiful post!!
you have so many fabulous things.
those paper weights are gorgeous!
and all the flowers. come on. fabulous!
im glad your posting again, i really missed all your great finds, and fabulous creations!
have a great week
oxooxx,
jessi

A Thing for Roses said...

Love your paper weights. They are beautiful and all of your flowers are gorgeous. You have a lovely collection.

Lisa

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

Everything is so beautiful, Carol! Your millinery inside your home reminds me of the gorgeous gardens you have outside! And your paperweights are fabulous! HUGS!

Joy said...

Wow Carol - what eye candy in this post! LOVE your paper weights!

Rosemary said...

Carol,
You always have the prettiest things to show us.
You are really talented.
Rosemary

One Crabapple said...

Just LOVE your paperwieghts !

Sooo many goodies here to see - catching up on your blog and looking down the page.

Buttons and Snow and LAMBS and eggs (yours is wonderful by the way !)

So much FUN and Treats for Inspiration here.

Love it. Happy Spring.

S.

Wabbit said...

The paperweights and everything else are lovely!

Becky said...

Hi Carol,
I always love visiting your blog, you have stunning beautiful things to share.

I just dropped by to say hello
and to let you know there is a
little contest going on at My Serentity Garden
If you’d like to join in.
~Becky~

Ulla said...

Carol! Your paperweights are so inspired! I love your idea! You are an endless font of beauty!

Luna said...

Hallo Carola,
Deine Paperweights sind wirklich toll.
Ich hab sie ja schon "in echt" gesehen, aber die Bilder sind total schön geworden. Ich hab heute minikleine Würfel in Ü-Eiern gefunden und an dich gedacht ;o)
Ach, die Tasche finde ich auch schön!
Liebe Grüße
Stefanie

Anita said...

Am besten gefällt mir das noch unfertige paperweight..... ich wetter, daß du mit dieser Technik noch viel Erfolg haben wirst!

Dein Supply Regal ist neben dem "nützlichen Faktor" auch noch überaus dekorativ und fotogen, der schwarze Zylinder sieht jetzt noch hübscher aus!

*** That's what I call pretty little things!!! ***

LG, Anita

Lori said...

Carol, your paperweights are SO SO SO gorgeous, what a super clever idea and they are just embellished to perfection...all i can say is WOW! AND i love your fabulous hat {i have been looking for one of those}, the trims and such that you added to it make it look oh~so~sweet!!! what a wonderful post!!!

Gena said...

Carol! you are so creative! I love everything! I have started soldering and am hooked! you inspire me always!

Natalea said...

everything looks wonderful Carol! I LOVE the shelf display of all that gorgeous millinery! Fabulous! thanks for sharing! Have alovely weekend! xo natalea

Naturegirl said...

Carol delightful and delicious each and every creative endevour of yours!!Have a great weekend..I'm still enjoying the sunshine desert in Arizona. hugs NG xo

Birgit said...

Liebe Carol, Deine kleinen Glasglocken sind einfach hinreißend. Sie gefallen mir außerordentlich, da so romantisch und nostalgisch. Deine andere Deko auf dem Regal ist super, man hat so viel zu schauen.

Gestern war bei uns endlich mal wieder ein Gartentag angesagt. Heute ist es zwar ziemlich warm, aber natürlich: Es regnet bereits wieder.

Noch einen schönen Sonntag und liebe Grüße, Birgit

Lis said...

Wow, da hast du dich ja mal wieder selber übertroffen! Die Glasglocken sind wirklich ganz reizend geworden, da bleibt mir nur noch der Mund vor Staunen offen stehen. Und erst die Deko im Regal! Neid! :-)
Du hast übringens richtig vermutet, das hellblaue Haus ist unseres!
LG Lis

violette said...

Oh, how beautiful and stunning this is ! Such a great work you are doing here !

Hugs from France !

Andrea's Garden said...

hallo Carola, nun bin ich aber froh, dass ich mal wieder reingeguckt hab. Die Paper Weights sind wirklich schön geworden. LG Andrea

Mya said...

Wow, love, love the hat and the paper weights are beautiful, love all your jars, I guess I love everything. Thank you for sharing.
-Mya

barbaras countryhome said...

Hallo Carola,
kannst Du Dich noch an mich erinnern? Habe doch im letzten Jahr ein Herzchen bei Dir bestellt. Dein Blog ist eine wahre Augenweide und Deine Sachen sind einfach klasse. Jetzt ist es bei mir auch soweit. Ich habe meinen Blog.Unter barbarascountryhome.blogspot.com kannst Du mich besuchen und vielleicht Tipps geben?
Liebe Grüße
Barbara

tales from an O.C. cottage said...

The paper weights are so creative & intriguing!! I love them!

M

Barbara, Oregon said...

Wow, what inspiration - truly loved visiting your site and seeing your beautiful creations. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Your paper weights are fantastic!!! Love your whole blog, it's so inspirational. I'll sure be back to visit!
Layla

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails