Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Sunday, October 05, 2008

A winner, fall deco and Athens

Hello dear friends and readers, I'm back from Athens since a week today but haven't found time for a new post yet. I catched a cold while coming home to Hamburg airport from the pleasingly warm Greek weather to a wet and windy very autumnal German weather in thin summer clothes and naked feet in sandals *Duh me*

Thank you for all your sweet comments on my 3 years blogiversary post! The overall favorite photo was the Venezian balcony, followed by the close up of the Doge's palace and the Venezian pink lanters/silhouette photo. I think that's perfect because those are my faves too! :) And without further ado I announce the winner now, chosen by a random number generator (P.S.: sorry dear Daisy and Tyra, but you were a bit too late, I closed comments at No. 56 this morning), congratulations to you Miss Mary:

Before I'll show you some photos of Athens, I thought you might be interested to see some photos of my current fall decoration. I like the cosy evenings inside while outside it's wet and windy, with candles lit giving my home a warm shine.


The photo above (click to enlarge) I shot just a few days ago, when I took out the plane tree balls which I picked of a plane tree ( European plane Platanus x hispanica Muenchh., you 'll find a close up pic of one here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:London_plane_flower.jpg ) in Athens and decorated them over my bird cage and around the white pumpkin. They are dry and quite hard and last for many years. I love using them for decorations, but they are ususally hanging far to high to reach them, so in Athens I had the luck to find a tree where they hung deep enough and I had my huge collegues help me pulling them down for me.


The pictures above I think reflects this cosy time of the year so well. I put dry artichocke heads in the two silver cups on my mantle and lit the tea lights in the glasses. I'd advice you to click on the pictures above and below to enlarge them and see all the details.


Anita's fabric birds are still hanging from the chandelier (and yes her lavender hearts on the mantle too lol) and birds are also everywhere in my decoration between the pumpkins. For me birds are always seasonable:



So the next photo is not from my home, but from a greek home in the old Plaka of Athens and doesn't it look very cosy too? And so classical!


I also like the old licor shop "Brettos" in the Plaka (= old city) of Athens where you can taste all the yummy stuff:


and the beautiful neo classical houses with the gorgeous scrolly iron balcony balustrades:


Oh and the beautiful statues like this one of the greek goddess Athena:


And I was so impressed by the old olive tree on the Acropolis next to the Erechteion Temple, of which a Myth says that it was planted by the goddess Athena (click photo to enlarge it):

Here is the story:
Athena and her uncle, the sea god Poseidon, competed for the affections of the Greeks, each providing one gift to the nation. Poseidon provided either a wonderful horse or a salt-water spring, but Athena provided the olive tree, giving shade, oil, and olives. The Greeks preferred her gift and named the city after her.
Well I have had a fabulous 4 days in Greece and a lot of more photos, but I'm not sure if you are interested in seeing them so I finish here, for today at least.
Enjoy the cosy autumn days!
Carola xox

18 comments:

Tyra in Vaxholm said...

It all looks very very cosy, you certainly need a little bit of extra warmth at this time of year. I'm so delight that I found you again dear Carola.

Lis said...

Schade dass ich nicht zu den Gewinnern zähle, aber wahrscheinlich habe ich mir das falsche Foto ausgesucht, lol!
Von Athen kenne ich leider außer dem Flughafen nichts, damals sind wir auch schnurstracks nach Piräus zum Hafen kutschiert waren und haben so gut wie gar nichts von der Stadt gesehen.

Bei dir sieht es ja wirklich schon herbstlich in der Wohnung aus. Ich warte da noch ein Weilchen und stürze mich dann lieber gleich auf die Weihnachtsdeko :-))

LG Lis

LiLi M. said...

Congrats to the winner!

Great to have you back. And you have made some terrific photo's in Athens too. Are you acclimatized yet? What a difference, you must have suffered on your bare feet. But it's good to sit at home, candles on, wood stove and beautiful decorations, we can leave that up to you!

Merci-Notes said...

Welcome Home Carol!
I love the photos, especially of your home, so cozily tucked in for the fall, after a fall stroll of course!
I am going to find my candles and get them out, it has been alot of work around here and I look forward to cozy fall evenings.:)
Carol!!! I can not believe that I won!!! I am very excited! Thankk You so very much!!!
Welcome home,
Hugs,
Mary

Debbie said...

I can't believe I missed your blogiversary! It's the same day as my birthday! Belated best wishes for many more beautiful posts :D

Lola Enchanted said...

Hello~
Absolutely gorgous pictures!
Your home is so warm and cozy!!



Enjoy your day!

Naturegirl said...

Carola I enjoyed the images of your cozy charming home all lit up with a romantic glow! I do hope that you brought home a prince from Greece to share all that ambience with! tee hee
Love the images of Greece another place I plan to visit! I love taking images of balcony windows..makes good
prints for the wall at home! hugs NG

Donna said...

You have a lovely home, love your decorations!

Great photos of Greece!

Anonymous said...

Carola, your home looks so warm, cozy and welcoming. I love the soft golden glow of the candles -- makes me just want to curl up with a warm cup of tea or cider and daydream. My husband and I honeymooned in Greece many years ago and didn't really see it like we wanted to. Just a really good excuse to go again. TWT

Jean said...

I love your autumn look. Its so cozy and welcoming. Good to have you back.
Jean in Virginia

Anita said...

First of all, congratualtions to the lucky winner of your give away!

What a very nice pumpkin and those candle pictures look great (almost a bit christmassy already, I must admid)... ;-)))

And how nice to see my little birdies again in your living room!

... das erinnert mich daran, daß ich das Muster nochmal vergrößern wollte.... ;-))

Athens in autumn must be nice, I envy you!

Viele liebe Grüße, Anita

NanetteWhiting said...

I love your blog. I could spend hours. I'll be back. Thanks

www.ataleofmagicalmemories.blogspot.com
Nanette

jenny holiday said...

ooooh your home looks so so so inviting,warm and cozy!! So lovely!!

Thank you so so much for your cafepress order!! You are our first!! We plan to blog today about our grand opening!

you are the BEST!!

Love ya!!
xoxo Jenny...and Aaron

amyelisedesigns said...

Wow! Beautiful home and pictures from Greece! I saw your link on flickr and thought I'd say hello!

Ulla said...

Always so much beauty when I visit here! How are you my dear??? HAPPY BLOG ANNIVERSARY! Doesn't time fly when you are having fun?
Kisses

Mrs. Staggs said...

Hi Carol, I love seeing your home decorated for this cozy season. I love the warmth of candles on a cold evening too.

Welcome home! I hope you feel much better soon.

MizSmoochieLips said...

Wow, your trip photos are beautiful! I'm so envious :) And your home looks so ready for Fall! Hope you're doing well!
Much Love

Gena said...

As usual your blog leaves me feeling inspired! how clever you are Carol! I do not know however how you find the time to do it all!Beautiful photos.hugs from chilly UK. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails