Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Monday, October 23, 2006

Butterflies, bouquets and swaps

The butterflies have more or less neglected the flowers in my cottage garden this year, although I've planted some plants and flowers, like the buddleja davidii and sedum autumn joy and phlox etc. just for them (yes okay and because I like them too I admit lol) . Now they are suddenly coming :D they love to drink from my sweet grapes that I have initially left on the vine for the birds to pick and eat. Click on the photos to see the bigger version if you like!


The "Inachis io" (we call it "Tagpfauenauge") is resting on the warm house wall, isn't it perfect?

If you look closer you can see how the "Vanessa atalanta" (we call it "Admiral") is sipping out of the grape like with a straw!

The color of the pansies and of the sedum in the picture below is my fave autumn color:


Seeing how much I love roses and garden bouquets I also had to take a picture of this bouquet in the photo below. It was a present for my mum, all flowers, berries and herbs were picked by our friend in her cottage garden:


I also wanted to share with you my glass vase of "House Doctor" in the next photo. I'm totally in love with the things they design and so happy that they sell their gorgeous goodies in my fave shop "ROSENROT" here in Bremen. I also bought some of House Doctor's gift wrapping paper and gave my mum a few hints about what I would love to get for Christmas and my next b-day he he

Lastly I like to show you the collage below that I have made for a swap with my German friend Nicole of www.smalltreasures.blogspot.com just so that you can see that I'm also creative from time to time ;-)

And for the case that you like to see what I have created, bought and send to my friend Niki from Somerset in return for her lovely, nostalgic rose and magazine swap parcel you can go over and have a look at her blog http://nostalgiaatthestonehouse.blogspot.com/ , she has got her parcel on Friday and has posted great pictures of the content on her beautiful nostalgic blog! :D

23 comments:

susan said...

hello carol,
guten tag! your butterflies are lovely.. i captured some monarchs and showed one photo of it on my blog a few weeks ago... they are so intriguing! thanks for stopping by my blog and keep watching for corey's work soon!

Becky said...

Wow, that is awesome . . . the butterfly sipping her wine the way she is. Great capture on your part!

Carol . . thank you for the explaination on PMSL . . . ha ha ha ha,
and I think ROFL must mean: rolling on floor laughing . . . ?

Anita said...

Oh, you had more chance than I had. I lately noticed that I did not succeed in taking any butterfly pictures this summer ;-(
That bird collage is very nice, I still have not figured out how you create them. It would be nice if you could post a step-by-step instruction someday?

Deb said...

The butterfly pictures are beautiful and your bird and bird nest collage is gorgeous!

Jean said...

Love your pictures, especially the butterflies. Absolutely spectacular!

gena said...

I love that little posy! much nicer than shop bought flowers!

rusty in miami said...

Great Pictures, today follow a butterfly around the garden with my camera but no luck. She was on storied

Ms Charity Case said...

The photographs of the butterflies are wonderful, I have never managed to take suchj a good close up, are you sure those are real,lol.
The collage is another Carol masterpiece. I would like some advice on how to start collaging as I have wanted to have a go at it but I'm not sure quite where to start. How did you get started and how long ago was that?

One Crabapple said...

The collage is BEAUTIFUL !
LOve the butterflies and you have Grapes too !?
Pansies are so sweet....

Heading over to Nostalgia's now...see what you sent...

Lis said...

Es ist schon toll dass man jetzt im Oktober noch Schmetterlinge sehen kann. Du hast sie auch wunderbar getroffen, da gehört schon Geduld und halt auch ein bisschen Glück dazu.
Die Collage ist sehr schön geworden, viel Spass beim swappen

Nostalgia at the Stone House said...

Hi Carol,
Yes, thanks again for the beautiful collage (and other pressies!)and the link to my blog too!
Your butterfly photography is stunning- you must be very patient.
Niki.x

*absolutely-vintage* said...

Hello Carol
I am very new to this Blog thing and as such i really don't know what i am doing !!Goodness knows how i came across your blog....but i'm so pleased i have !
Your garden looks wonderful and i also think your home is beautiful too.I'm going to look back on some of your previous 'blogs'....your so creative and i hope i can pick up a few tips from you.
I'd love it if you could let me know what kind of plants you have in your garden....the ones in the vase look stunning and so natural......over here in England you way pay a small fortune for a 'bouquet' not half as pretty ......
Hope you don't mind me commenting...... May....*absolutely-vintage*

Naturegirl said...

{{{{{AMAZING!}}} Butterflies that float and and dance taking the sweet juice from your grapes! Your garden filled with life inspiration and breathtaking beauty! I love these images natures welcome garden guests! Your flowers are
pleasures of beauty!!
Thank you carol for the lovely comment you made on my "Heartfelt Joy" post! Hugs NG

Shell said...

There's so much going on in this post - all beautiful lovely stuff! Butterflies are awesome aren't they? We get marvellous species of them here - really bright and colourful, and I've just planted a heap of flowering native to keep them in my garden. If I was a butterfly I'd stay in your garden my whole short life!

Great collage - love the sparrows, so sweet. And that vase is so gorgeous and feminine. Pretty, pretty things!

Maggie Ann said...

Hi Carol, Your collage is beautiful and your photos are just outstandingly wonderful! Yes, I joined the Wed.Stampers very recently...smile and love it. I saw some of your comments. I really don't have very many nice rubber stamps..some. But am more into my love of collaging, but am trying to combine the two. You know which one I favor...don't you =).

Mrs. Staggs said...

So interesting to see butterflies this time of year for ours have all left us by now. I usually only have the small lavender and white ones or yellow monarchs, rarely any others. This year our yard was visited by lots of hummingbirds, but I think they left last week sometime.
The flower arrangements are lovely and oh my what a beautiful vase!

MariaJ said...

Its the same here Carol, no possibility to get such beautiful butterfly pics. They have all flown to your garden.
Love your vase and the result of your collage swap. The birds and nests are always so very cute.
By the way my Christmas cards are ready for the swap...but I wont post them until the day we were talking about. Have you started yours?

Sigrun said...

Hi Carol, we are back!

Your butterflies looks like my b. in the garden, but in the moment everything is so wet, and since I'm back I haven't seen one.

Sigrun

lindaharre said...

Your collage is GREAT! You know I love birds. Thank you soooooooooo much for all your uplifting comments on my blog. You are so sweet!!! I really appreciate it. It seems funny to me that I have at least 75 hits a day and yet there are only a few of you that ever let me know that you are there! THANKS AGAIN:) I love your blog....must go and look some more now...........

lindaharre said...

Carol......me again! As many times as I have looks at your flower and garden pics, I must tell you again.....it blows me away!!!! WOW.....I can't believe that your hollyhocks are blooming after just being sewn.....amazing! THanks for sharing it with us..........Linda

Britt-Arnhild said...

I found an old book about British butterflies while in Lindisfarne. Butterflies have always fascinated me.

Clare said...

Truly stunning photography! Clare x

Hannele said...

So bbeautiful vases.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails