Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Welcome to the Box-Wood Cottage!

Since I've bought it and moved into my little house in February 2005 I was thinking of a pretty name for it. I so love houses and gardens with names, I think it makes them more special and beautiful, don't you think so? But I didn't came up with something really appropriate until I talked it over with a close friend and my mum yesterday. My friend told me that in England it is common to call a terraced house (small row house like mine) situated in the suburbs near to the fields and woods a cottage too because "cottage" just means "small house" or small country house. Well my house is small for sure (it's only 4,50 metres wide) and I live in a very green suburb only 2 minutes away from the fields and woods. Then all of a sudden my mum said that she had a good idea and stated that what I have the most of all in my garden, in the front and also in the back yard, is box wood, so why not call it "Box-Wood Cottage"? Oh my yes, why hasn't that crossed my mind before! I knew at once that's it! My little house has a name :D!

*~* Welcome to the "Box-Wood Cottage! *~*

This following picture is from June this year:

So what do you think about houses and names and the name I chose for my little house?

P.S. Blogger is playing up again and won't let me post anymore pictures in this post. You can see more of my box wood pictures in my archives for example on 7th June 2006.

24 comments:

Dawn said...

The name is perfect...charming!

Karen said...

I love houses with names, and you have chosen one that is perfect for you.

Lis said...

Gratulation! Ich finde es schade, dass es hier in Deutschland nicht üblich ist seinen Häusern Namen zu geben. Da du ja genug Buchs in deinem Garten hast, passt der Namen ja auch wunderbar.
Greet idea :-)

Anita said...

Oh Carol, the new name is really appropriate! I love giving names e.g. for the different parts of our garden or for the wooden angels or other figures we craft. But I've never thought of naming our house. ;-))

Salix Tree said...

That's a lovely name! We in Ireland also name our houses. That's a nice piture, love the way the boxwood hedge undulates and curves.

Anonymous said...

I think Boxwood Cottage is a perfect choice and a wonderful idea. TWT

Deb said...

I love the idea of naming homes - and yours is the perfect name for the perfect country garden! Will you hang your sweet "Boxwood Cottage" sign by your front door?

Jill said...

Love the name. Now I am thinking about what I could call my little abode....hmmm...I'll get back to you when I decide. :)

Racheal said...

I think it is a lovely name. I wanted to name my last house but never could come up with the right name.
We have moved to France now and I am again thinking of names.

Racheal

Naturegirl said...

Your cottage garden delights our senses! Such an appropriate name for your Boxwood Cottage filled with your personal delights your cozy retreat!

Shell said...

Beautiful! I love the name you chose - it sounds so cosy and inviting. I like houses with names, but I don't feel that mine is ready for a name yet. We're still developing its character (it seriously lacked any when we moved in), and the gardens are anything but established as yet (and with the current drought we are experiencing I doubt they will be for many years *sighs*). So for now, I'll just live that aspect of life vicariously through your blog, hehe! :)

Ms Charity Case said...

I love the cottage name and your garden is beautiful too. We could never come up with a name that fitted our last home, I hate really naff names, but boxwood cottage really fits it.

Tea & Margaritas in My Garden said...

It`s a perfect name Carol! I planted some boxwood this year because I also love it.

tea
xo

pinar said...

I love your garden.. and your gardens name.. very appropriated.. enjoy..

Carol said...

Oh bloggers I'm so glad that you all like the name for my little house and garden and also find it appropriate :D

I'm not going to hang this sign at the door because this is written with chalk and the next rain will wash it away.

I'm currently thinking about how to make a beautiful and everlasting door name tag.

I saw a beautiful letterbox in an English magazine with the name of the cottage printed on it, that wouldn't be bad for example. I don't like my momentary letterbox anyhow.

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Your garden is such a haven!! Wonderful and green, safe and loving!! Tahnk you for sharing it with us. I love names for houses, better than a number!! Whatever you name your house it will always be Carol's Chateau d'Amour

Mrs. Staggs said...

Very charming and appropriate name Carol. I think it would make a wonderful name for your blog too!

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hi Carol....
I just love the name you’ve given to your cottage. I quite agree with Mum’s decision to name it so appropriately after the box hedges in your garden.

When we lived in the Cotswolds our cottage was named Bramleys, after the Bramley apple trees in our garden, on moving to Wales we bought the old village police station and felt it worthy of keeping the name it had always been know by, it was quite a landmark in the village really, however, because the property was going to be used as a private residence we had to get permission from North Wales Police Authority to name it so.

As you know, it is quite usual for people in this country to give their house a name, particularly in rural locations. Of course here in Wales houses have Welsh names and interestingly, it is usual for the name of the house to be put on their grave stone, which makes a walk around the churchyard so interesting. I don’t know if that is done in other countries. Marion

Nostalgia at the Stone House said...

It's the perfect name Carol- I love it!
That view you have photographed is STUNNING! How do you tear yourself away to sit at your computer??!!

MariaJ said...

Carol the name is perfect for your cottage. I'd be nice to give a name for the house here too. Marion gave us a good information.

Carol said...

That's very interesting about the grave stones Marion! Oh and Bramleys was such a nice name too, but I also like The old village police station!

I loved to read all your generous comments again!

Lena, yes I was thinking of rename my blog, actually I've just done it!

All I need now is a nice new banner!

Sigrun said...

Moin, herzliche Glückwünsche zur Haustaufe, es hat sich gelohnt!

Al

Maggie Ann said...

Delightful!!!

linda t said...

You know what I just realized... I don't need to look through my gardening magazines when I have your blog to look at... I am in awe of your garden!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails