Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Bremen, the German city where I live

This last weekend my cousin from Toronto, Canada came to see us with his son and he also wanted to see our historic town center, so we went there on Sunday and I did the tourist thing for you and did lots of photos, because I thought that maybe some of you would like to see it as well.

Bremen is a very old Hanseatic city, constituted in the 8th century. It is a port city, situated along the river Weser, about 50 km south from its outflow into the North Sea. Bremen is one of two towns belonging to the state of Bremen (official name: Freie Hansestadt Bremen (Free Hanseatic City of Bremen), referring to its membership in the medieval Hanseatic League), the other being Bremerhaven. Population: 663.000. The metropolitan area (Bremen-Oldenburg) has a population more than 2,37 million.
I best start with pictures of our medieval town/city hall being build in the 13th century and being restored in the 15th century and then constantly until today. It's the only European city hall that has never been destroyed and it belongs to the "UNESCO World Cultural Heritage" because it's absolutely unique and authentic.


It has a lot of fascinating details, so I zoomed in the picture to show you some:


Isn't it gorgeous? Medieval people have had so much more imagination in building houses than nowadays! Here is another picture from the left side:

and these fellows, I'm sure you all know them, are standing at the left side of our city hall:

Ignore the people please, there are always people taking their pictures with the "Bremer Stadtmusikanten" (The town musicians of Bremen) because of the famous fairy tale written by the Grimm Brothers.

This is our Cathedral, called the "St. Petri Dom" build in the 13th century. It has a so called plumb basement (Bleikeller) where plump for the roof top works has been stored and dead people, like a roofer who fall of the roof top during his works in the 14th century can now be seen as a mummy, preserved through the plump containing air in the cellar. Spooky!

Okay, looks like blogger won't let me post anymore pictures in this post *rolls eyes*. So I'm going to post more about my medieval home town in one of my next posts if you like.

16 comments:

SOINSPIRED said...

Thank you Carol for the wonderful tour.

monique said...

What a beautiful photo's of Bremen.
Thanks for sharing.

Cookie said...

So lovely to see some of your city Carol. I look forward to seeing more pics...thank you for sharing with us. Im sure your cousin enjoyed his stay with you.

Janet said...

What beautiful photos of such magnificent buildings. You are right that people long ago had much more imagination and did much more interesting buildings than ones of today.

Tracy said...

Just beautiful! I'm always in awe of historic buildings, especially ones that old. I hope to one day make my way out to Germany to see these wonderful areas you show us in person.

Sandra said...

Thanks for sharing pics of your 'medieval home town '. Good to 'see'you posting again. ;o)

MariaJ said...

I was so so pleased to see your home town! I love all kinds of Cathedrals in Europe and it was nice to see you have it too. Your city hall is lovely with all those fun animals outside. Will your cousin stay a long time with you? Its nice we both have relatives in Ontario! Have you been there? I've been 3 (or 4?) times.

Jill said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Naturegirl said...

So much history in Europe!A wonderful collection of photos..thankyou!I should have jumped into your relatives suitcase because he lives not far from me!! Toronto is a stones throw away from me so if you visit Toronto you MUST meet me for coffee!! Oh I must not forget my friend TWT!:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tour of your beautiful city. Two reasons to visit now, your garden and your home town. TWT

Anita said...

Yeah Carol, Bremen is a nice town, we often went there when I was younger, especially in December for the famous X-mas market. It's not far away from where I grew up. I love the Schnoor quater very much and I am sure the others will do as well when you show us more photos...
Anita

miss*R said...

this is breathtaking - how lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Carol.....
I have so much enjoyed the tour of your beautiful medieval town. Quite exquisite. I simply love Germany architecture, so, so gorgeous! Marion

Karen said...

I am also close to Toronto, where most "old" buildings are from the early 1800s. The shops and buildings of Bremen are fascinating. Thank you for the wonderful photographs!

Vintage Collage & Quilts said...

Thank you so, so much for sharing the wonderful city of Bremen. My ancestors on my mother's side were from there & it was fun to take a peek! I would love to live in a place where there is so much history.

Rosa said...

Breathtaking archetecture!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails