Welcome to Boxwood Cottage!

So glad that you found me! My blog is about everything I love like gardening, decorating my home & garden and crafting. Although I'm from Germany I write my blog in English so that hopefully every visitor can read it. Hope you'll stay a while and will leave me a comment so that I know that you were here! xoxo Carola

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Nikolaus - Santa Clause?


Yesterday on December 6th was "Nikolaus" day here in Germany. On "Nikolaus" morning the kids find some sweets, chocolate and little gifts in their shoes or stockings that Old St. Nik has put in there some time at night ;-) In the afternoon when it's dark outside kids are going "Nikolauslaufen" that means they are going from door to door ringing and singing a little christmas song or reciting a little christmas poem and then they get sweets as a reward. It's a bit like the Halloween trick or treat tradition in the USA, just nicer because you will not get any nasty pranks. That and a lot of work I had to do at the office yesterday (even had to do overtime) made that I've had no time for a Nikolaus post yesterday, so here it is today, a bit late.

9 comments:

vlb5757 said...

When I was a little girl we lived in Ramstein. The woman who cleaned the stairs in our apartment building made my little brother and I put a shoe each outside the apt. door. The next morning we found it full of cookies, candy and nuts. I remember that after all these years. She was such a nice lady to tell us about that shoe thing! I have wonderful memories of living in Germany!

vlb5757 said...

When I was a little girl we lived in Ramstein. The woman who cleaned the stairs in our apartment building made my little brother and I put a shoe each outside the apt. door. The next morning we found it full of cookies, candy and nuts. I remember that after all these years. She was such a nice lady to tell us about that shoe thing! I have wonderful memories of living in Germany!

Peggy said...

what a lovely custom! I have enjoyed learning about germany and australia christmas' from you and alice

Peggy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria said...

We have this kind of tradition in Finland but in Easter. Little boys and girls are dressed up like little witches!
The 6th of December is our Independence day. We all had a day off.

zephyr said...

what a wonderful tradition
speaking of which...
has anyone but me (and the people who lived
in the tiny little town where i grew up, in in the desert southwest of the US) heard of the Valentine's Day tradition of "dropping valentine's"?? No one seems to know what i am talking about when i mention this: Yes, we would all exchange Valentines at school but then that night our parents would drive us around so we could "drop" valentine's cards at the door of our "true love"--and/or best friends....that is, go up to the door, drop the valentine on the threshold, knock and run away real fast before they opened the door...and of course you would sign the card with some "secret" name.
it was fun! but nobody where i live now seems to have heard of this...perhaps it was something my mother and the other school teachers made up for the children living in our tiny valley?

Lady Laurie said...

This is a lovely tradition. My youngest son has been learning different Christmas traditions from around the world,and this week they learned about Germany. Thank you for sharing...

Carol said...

vlb5757 - would you tell me your name? I dont really like to call you by all these letters and numbers. Anyway I think it was really nice of that woman to show you about our Nikolaus tradition. And I'm glad to hear that you have wonderful memories about your time here in Germany.

Vicki - your tradition sounds like a lot of fun, but no at least I have never heard about it. Thanks for letting us know though!

Hi Laurie - you are very welcome!

vlb5757 said...

I am Vickie. I am sorry that my post posted twice. I have never had that happen before. Anyway I am Vickie with an E. I stopped using my first name on posts because someone used my identity once and it freaked me out. I took my name off the posts and used something else.

I think the woman's last name was Schwartz. I have never forgotten her. I remember she was a bit overweight and had her hair in a bun on the back of her head. She always wore black shoes and she had really red rosey cheeks. I didn't speak German and she didn't speak English, but a smile and hug were the universal language.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails